Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:25:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning signs of financial fraud  (Read 2378 times)
Nagle (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 09:08:04 PM

A standard list of warning signs of financial fraud, as applied to Bitcoin exchanges.

• (1) Sales Appeal: The hook designed to lure you in is get rich quick without risk or hard work. Above market returns, guarantees, low or no risk, and no effort required are all hallmarks of investment fraud. Investment fraud intentionally appeals to the basic human emotions of fear, greed, and wanting something for nothing so that you will make an irrational decision. Be wary of any salesman who draws out your emotions as part of the sales process. Due diligence is how you remove the emotion and base your decision on facts.
  • (2) Obfuscation and Misinformation: Fancy words and successful images are designed to win your trust by creating a façade of sophistication. Techno-babble is designed to intimidate you into not looking behind the facade. Multiple postings on the internet under various aliases are designed to create the appearance of many people involved. Professional images are designed to create trust. Always ask, "Where is the beef?" Never trust the façade, but instead look deeper to find real substance. Due diligence is how you look behind the veneer of obfuscation and misinformation to see if there is any real meat.
  • (3) Unverifiable Claims: Secrets of the rich, technological breakthroughs, patent pending formulas, government conspiracy theories,  and inside information are all examples of things that are either hard to verify or not verifiable at all. Never invest based on hollow words alone. Verify all statements and claims with independent third party information. Assume nothing is true until confirmed through due diligence.
  • (4) Manipulative Sales Practices: Intimidation, inadequate disclosures, non-traditional payment choices, inadequate diversification or improper asset allocation, encouraging you to invest based on trust, or rushing you into a decision with high pressure sales tactics are all examples of manipulative investment sales practices that deviate from proven professional standards of conduct. Never rush a decision or invest based on emotion. Due diligence will slow the sales process sufficiently to offset manipulative practices.
  • (5) Lack Of Transparency: All investment accounts should be registered separately in your name with an independent, third-party custodian, and all transactions in your investment accounts should be fully visible to you on a daily basis either through independent account statements or the custodian's web site. Avoid commingled, pooled funds where the manager has custody and possession and/or account activity statements are generated only by the manager and not by an independent third-party.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DrYe5

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 09:20:34 PM

It does seem fairly simple for Mt. Gox or Tradehill to back-date trades at the low and high for themselves.
Nagle (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 09:40:17 PM

It does seem fairly simple for Mt. Gox or Tradehill to back-date trades at the low and high for themselves.

Big red flags with Mt. Gox are 1) delays and difficulty in getting money (not Bitcoins) out, and 2) complaints about limit orders not being executed.
1) is an indicator that the money might not be there, and 2) is an indicator that there may be front-running (where the insiders get to queue trades ahead of others, after seeing the queue, thus betting on a sure thing).

As I've said before, get your cash out of Mt. Gox. If they're legit, it won't hurt them; they make their money on transaction fees. If they're not, last ones to get out lose. You can always deposit cash later if you need to buy Bitcoins.
datguywhowanders

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 09:52:53 PM

*sigh* Go away troll.

Donations Welcome: 163id7T8KZ6MevqT86DjrBF2kfCPrQsfZE
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 10:03:23 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2011, 10:20:45 PM by YoYa

Big red flags with Mt. Gox are 1) delays and difficulty in getting money (not Bitcoins) out, and 2) complaints about limit orders not being executed.
1) is an indicator that the money might not be there, and 2) is an indicator that there may be front-running (where the insiders get to queue trades ahead of others, after seeing the queue, thus betting on a sure thing).

As I've said before, get your cash out of Mt. Gox. If they're legit, it won't hurt them; they make their money on transaction fees. If they're not, last ones to get out lose. You can always deposit cash later if you need to buy Bitcoins.

If...you really had a clue of what your on about here, you would instead be advocating that people get their BTC/USD out instead of USD only. If you don't know that BTC can be redeemed for cash in other forums of exchange.....then you really haven't been paying attention or......your on a FUD run. Given that you can read and type, it suggests to me the latter.

And besides.....some of us have diversified away from Gox ages ago anyway.
AtlasONo

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:12:41 PM

But I know I'm gonna get rich with this scheme AND quick!

BTW you missed a few more that also apply

http://financialmentor.com/free-articles/investment-advice/investment-fraud/top-26-warning-signs-of-investment-fraud
DrYe5

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:28:52 PM

*sigh* Go away troll.

Quote from: UrbanDictionary.com
"One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument."

Mt. Gox transparency is a relevant issue for everyone here.
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:35:51 PM

get rich quick without risk or hard work. Above market returns

Are any of the exchanges claiming this? Perhaps Bitcoin7 and TradeHill with their referral schemes?

Techno-babble is designed to intimidate you into not looking behind the facade.

Bitcoin is based on cryptography. It's quite technical. I don't see any exchanges using additional techno-babble.

technological breakthroughs

Bitcoin is a technological breakthrough. What does this have to do with exchanges?

inadequate disclosures

Fair point. However, to some people, the disclosures are adequate, and thus they keep using certain exchanges.

non-traditional payment choices

Bitcoin is a non-traditional payment choice.

encouraging you to invest based on trust

What else is there???

All investment accounts should be registered separately in your name with an independent, third-party custodian, and all transactions in your investment accounts should be fully visible to you on a daily basis either through independent account statements or the custodian's web site. Avoid commingled, pooled funds where the manager has custody and possession and/or account activity statements are generated only by the manager and not by an independent third-party.

What? I don't see what this has to do with Bitcoin, since it's not an investment. Exchanges also aren't investments, they are exchanges.
datguywhowanders

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:42:20 PM

*sigh* Go away troll.

Quote from: UrbanDictionary.com
"One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument."

Mt. Gox transparency is a relevant issue for everyone here.

As his other posts have shown, Nagle is here to promote his own agenda. He isn't advocating transparency for the benefit of the Bitcoin community.

I do agree that Mt. Gox could be a little more forthcoming with information about their operation. I would say they're doing the best they can for such a small team, but they need to hire a dedicated PR person.

Donations Welcome: 163id7T8KZ6MevqT86DjrBF2kfCPrQsfZE
silversurfer

Activity: 103

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:43:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9yxD0ajt0w

That which is falling should also be pushed.
dinzy

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 11:03:53 PM

This is ridiculous.  Up until yesterday Mt. Gox made 1.3% on each transaction.  Why would they seriously jeopardize those huge returns on doing next to nothing by scamming more off the top?
DrYe5

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 11:18:34 PM

This is ridiculous.  Up until yesterday Mt. Gox made 1.3% on each transaction.  Why would they seriously jeopardize those huge returns on doing next to nothing by scamming more off the top?

Because humans aren't totally rational?
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:46:48 AM

A standard list of warning signs of financial fraud, as applied to Bitcoin exchanges.

• (1) Sales Appeal: The hook designed to lure you in is get rich quick without risk or hard work. Above market returns, guarantees, low or no risk, and no effort required are all hallmarks of investment fraud. Investment fraud intentionally appeals to the basic human emotions of fear, greed, and wanting something for nothing so that you will make an irrational decision. Be wary of any salesman who draws out your emotions as part of the sales process. Due diligence is how you remove the emotion and base your decision on facts.
  • (2) Obfuscation and Misinformation: Fancy words and successful images are designed to win your trust by creating a façade of sophistication. Techno-babble is designed to intimidate you into not looking behind the facade. Multiple postings on the internet under various aliases are designed to create the appearance of many people involved. Professional images are designed to create trust. Always ask, "Where is the beef?" Never trust the façade, but instead look deeper to find real substance. Due diligence is how you look behind the veneer of obfuscation and misinformation to see if there is any real meat.
  • (3) Unverifiable Claims: Secrets of the rich, technological breakthroughs, patent pending formulas, government conspiracy theories,  and inside information are all examples of things that are either hard to verify or not verifiable at all. Never invest based on hollow words alone. Verify all statements and claims with independent third party information. Assume nothing is true until confirmed through due diligence.
  • (4) Manipulative Sales Practices: Intimidation, inadequate disclosures, non-traditional payment choices, inadequate diversification or improper asset allocation, encouraging you to invest based on trust, or rushing you into a decision with high pressure sales tactics are all examples of manipulative investment sales practices that deviate from proven professional standards of conduct. Never rush a decision or invest based on emotion. Due diligence will slow the sales process sufficiently to offset manipulative practices.
  • (5) Lack Of Transparency: All investment accounts should be registered separately in your name with an independent, third-party custodian, and all transactions in your investment accounts should be fully visible to you on a daily basis either through independent account statements or the custodian's web site. Avoid commingled, pooled funds where the manager has custody and possession and/or account activity statements are generated only by the manager and not by an independent third-party.

That's it, I'm selling all my bitcoin before anything bad happens.  Thank you.  I'm sure a year from now I'll look back and see that this, indeed, was the right decision.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
DrYe5

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:53:15 AM

That's it, I'm selling all my bitcoin before anything bad happens.  Thank you.  I'm sure a year from now I'll look back and see that this, indeed, was the right decision.

Non sequitur doesn't follow.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:54:21 AM

I read up to:

(1) Sales Appeal: The hook designed to lure you in is get rich quick without risk or hard work. Above market returns, guarantees, low or no risk, and no effort required are all hallmarks of investment fraud

and realised this couldnt be a post about Bitcoin...

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:58:05 AM

'Non sequiter' means 'doesn't follow', so 'doesn't follow doesn't follow'?  In any event, I get it.  I'm just being cheeky. 

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
DrYe5

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:02:30 AM

'Non sequiter' means 'doesn't follow', so 'doesn't follow doesn't follow'?  In any event, I get it.  I'm just being cheeky. 

Grin

In any case... this is about the integrity of institutions on which we all rely. I mean Magic: The Gathering DB? Really?

I think the guy that moves the market went to bed...
dr.bitcoin

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:57:17 AM

Mining for Bitcoins is not hard HUMAN work, because the GPUs do the job, not me with a pocket calculator  Grin
However, given the recent difficulty increase, it hardly qualifies as a get rich QUICK scheme  Grin  Grin  Grin
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 06:36:37 AM
Last edit: June 28, 2011, 03:21:24 PM by zby

• (3) Unverifiable Claims: Secrets of the rich, technological breakthroughs, patent pending formulas, government conspiracy theories,  and inside information are all examples of things that are either hard to verify or not verifiable at all. Never invest based on hollow words alone. Verify all statements and claims with independent third party information. Assume nothing is true until confirmed through due diligence.
Overall it's a good list and I would like the owners of MtGox to read it and think it over - but implying that it all applies to bitcoin as a whole is manipulative.  For example

3) Unverifiable Claims - the technology of bitcoin is all opensource - you cannot have more transparent technology.  None of the things you list applies no patent pending formulas, nothing depends on government conspiracy or insider information (it's rather the opposite with all the transactions in public).

(5)  is completely off - you keep your bitcoins in your own wallet - you don't need any third parties.  

(4) and (2) at least would require some factual support - who do you suspect uses sock puppets to manipulate the market?  

(1) - nobody says bitcoin is risk free, I've never seen a similar claim.
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 08:01:20 AM

Standard list of warning signs of shills with an agenda, as applied to the bitcoin forums.

1) Sensationalist or alarmist topic titles designed to grab attention.

2) Fancy financial/legal jargon and sneering verbosity designed to give an appearance of authority and competence.

3) False analogies, appeal to authority, guilt by association.

4) Paranoia, mud slinging, FUD, conspiracy theories about secret developer cabals and exchanges that will run off with your money any day.

5) General lack of understanding of the underlying principles of the bitcoin technology and how it matters to society; lack of interest to even learn about those principles; lack of positive and constructive forum contributions.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: