Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:33:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I sell my airdropped tokens quickly or hold on to them?  (Read 2904 times)
WannaCry

Activity: 742
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 09:13:37 AM

Hello,
Yesterday I saw some increase in my total estimated token value, and today it dropped significantly.
It appears that a lot of people are selling their airdropped tokens as soon as they get them.
I have not sold a single token from airdrops, and with the exception of some them, they seem to be mostly losing value in time.
Should I do the same or hodl hoping that some of them may increase in value, closing the gap I lose in the process?

In my experience, I had recieved an airdrop years ago that valued $.25 each. I ignored it and thought of it as useless. As I checked my wallet last month, I was surprised that each coin valued almost $25 dollars now. So I realized that holding is better than selling it once I recieved it. Good things really happens for those who knows how to wait patiently.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mammoniter

Activity: 574
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 09:19:40 AM

Hello,
Yesterday I saw some increase in my total estimated token value, and today it dropped significantly.
It appears that a lot of people are selling their airdropped tokens as soon as they get them.
I have not sold a single token from airdrops, and with the exception of some them, they seem to be mostly losing value in time.
Should I do the same or hodl hoping that some of them may increase in value, closing the gap I lose in the process?

Hold them, you wouldn't gain much from airdrop coins by selling them early. Honestly my friends rarely sell their airdrop coins since most of them have almost no market value at all though I think it is just reasonable because it is just a small token for participating and its not much of an effort to do so. Atleast you can hold them until they gain value and who knows maybe someday they grow to a considerable value in the market.

Ramtapsbtc

Activity: 364
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 09:23:59 AM

Hello,
I think it is the same with your bounty. Airdrop token's value will rise as time goes by. Just monitor the value and then if you think you can make profit out of it, then trade them.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 09:39:42 AM

Well it depends if you believe in the project or not. I personnally always hold for at least 6 months in order to assess the coin's potential and evolution of team and community. Then I decide whether or not it's worth to hold or better to try and sell at the next peak.

Cnut237
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 09:39:50 AM

Hello,

This depends on whether or not you think the project has a long-term future. If it does, then hold on to the tokens, if it doesn't then sell as soon as you can or on the first price pump.

-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 10:41:21 AM

The coins received from airdrops often have a low cost, so you will receive little from their sale. I think it's worth keeping them.
hott_staff

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 10:47:53 AM

As many of the people pointed out before me, selling them as soon as you get them may not be the best strategy. For ERC20 tokens for example you have to pay the gas to send the tokens from your wallet to an exchange and then pay the fee again to receive the ETH or BTC or what you sold them for. If the price you receive from the tokens is larger than the cost of doing so, then it would make sense to do just that.

But since you payed nothing to receive the airdropped tokens, I think it would be best to hold them, because holding bears no cost for you, except the opportunity cost. Even if 90% of them are shitcoins and the team behind them will do nothing, there are still 10% that could see their utility value increase once the team finishes the project and would make more sense to keep them to use them yourself or sell when there is actual demand for the tokens.
Castlereagh

Activity: 154
Merit: 25

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 07:49:07 PM

As many of the people pointed out before me, selling them as soon as you get them may not be the best strategy. For ERC20 tokens for example you have to pay the gas to send the tokens from your wallet to an exchange and then pay the fee again to receive the ETH or BTC or what you sold them for. If the price you receive from the tokens is larger than the cost of doing so, then it would make sense to do just that.

But since you payed nothing to receive the airdropped tokens, I think it would be best to hold them, because holding bears no cost for you, except the opportunity cost. Even if 90% of them are shitcoins and the team behind them will do nothing, there are still 10% that could see their utility value increase once the team finishes the project and would make more sense to keep them to use them yourself or sell when there is actual demand for the tokens.

Definitely this - I think you want to be fairly discriminating with airdrops anyway. So many are utter rubbish, it's not even worth the effort of filling out five fields on a sign up form.
rbt

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:13:14 PM

As far as I see, the consensus seem to be "dump immediately". Indeed, most of the people sell their airdropped tokens as soon as they receive them, so the price will drop regardless how good the project is. Nobody seems to care about the project, the team... Yeah, I know it`s free money, but I don`t know if it worth the time to hunt the airdrops, to complete the tasks, to register and then to sell the tokens for a few dollars. I prefer to wait and, if I like the project, to even buy some of the dumped tokens. Also, I try to avoid airdrops who are clearly pump and dump projects.
carrymentality

Activity: 140
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:37:15 PM

Hello,

Airdrops are usually handed out before an ICO begins or while it is running. Therefore, if you want to gain profit from it, the best thing is to wait for it until such time that the coins from the ICOs are given their true value instead of their pre-ICO values. Remember that airdrops are geared to introduce the coin, thus, they only hand out a few amount, so they can give them out to more people. Thus, since the expectation is you would only get a few, then just wait for the time it would get the biggest value, maybe for about 2-3 months to make the best out of those coins.
cryptopusa

Activity: 224
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:40:56 PM

Hello,
Holding it for few more months will maximize your profits from these ICO/bounty tokens.That is why i strongly recommended to hold these coins because you have received it for free and you wont have anything to lose.Holders will always win,and weaak hands will always fall from the market.

● sgamepro ●   ❐ Telegram ❐   ❐ Whitepaper ❐     ● sgamepro ●
███   PLAY MOBILE GAMES MINE   ███
████ █     CRYPTO-TOKENS EARN REAL MONEY █ ████
Holla123

Activity: 504
Merit: 131

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 08:45:05 PM

Hello,

most airdropped token get first traded on ED and Idex. The price there not really significant. Check if there is the potential for bigger exchange and if there is a telegram channel. That might give you better insight what is planned like exchange listing or additional airdrops for HODLers. I am sceptical if the % of total tokens dropped is too high.
EricExxo

Activity: 28
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 09:28:56 PM

If you believe in the project is better to sell 50% and keep the rest for long term.
Airdrop tokens amount comparing with early private investors is peanuts.
ridertiger (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 110

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 06:11:21 AM

Yeah, some of the tokens go away and you have to swap them or something. I had this red token, and I had 1500 of it. I see that its price increased but they had an error in their code, so I sold 1000 of it for 0.5 ETH. They did the swap, I still have 500 of the new token, and its price is close to zero to the best of my knowledge.
On the other hand, I kept up with the HAT swap, and it is still worth something. So, I think it depends on the evaluators I guess.
Anyone with a good airdropped token recommendation?
adekogbe

Activity: 854
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 09:45:20 PM

I belie this is down to some factors like personal strategy, the project etc.
For example; i got airdrop for Pareto, Poly and hydro tokens, I am definitely selling off hydro wen d price looks good because I font have confidence in their long term goals but poly & pareto are tokens I believe will do great things and I am happy to Hodl while taking profits occasionally.
Its down to personal strategy though but I will advice you make research,
Its not possible to get it %100 right but if you make your research you'll get it right more times than not.

Jackblack90909

Activity: 552
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 09:48:37 PM

Your airdropped tokens aren't same, and haven't the same potential and value. So you need to study each project before taking the decision, since there is some tokens having the potential to go up in the future, so it is better to hold them. But generally most airdropped tokens haven't good value and it is good to sell them as soon as possible.
adekogbe

Activity: 854
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 09:54:35 PM

Your airdropped tokens aren't same, and haven't the same potential and value. So you need to study each project before taking the decision, since there is some tokens having the potential to go up in the future, so it is better to hold them. But generally most airdropped tokens haven't good value and it is good to sell them as soon as possible.

True that because most airdrops are done in order to increase the circulating supply of tokens and most tokens airdropped have very little value.
But some have good value and will make a good Hodl

Stradivarioos

Activity: 350
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 10:00:07 PM

It all depends on the token. It happens that they can be lying half a year - a year, rise in price, and pretty much. But as an option, always after the receipt of the tokens on your wallet, sell them and translate for example into the etherium.

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
yannick225

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 10:02:29 PM

Its your own choice if you want to sell it quickly but i think airdrop tokens at first has no price , and the community of the airdrop tokens are searching for investors to make those tokens legit. Most airdrops tokens are no value even if there is an active community in it , because there is no developer of the token. Few tokens receives in airdrops has the potential to have a high price once they hit big exchanges.
velvetsunset

Activity: 30
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 10:09:39 PM

I prefer to HODL my airdrops.  It only takes 1 big winner to put you on the moon.  I like the odds of 1 winner than selling hundreds of them at smaller gains. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: