Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:19:21 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase account hacked? Has this happened to anyone?  (Read 4791 times)
31337157 (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 12:44:20 AM
Last edit: June 14, 2013, 03:26:18 AM by 31337157

This afternoon I transferred over some coin from my Mt. Gox account to my Coinbase account in order to sell. As I was watching the first start of todays dip on clark moody, I decided it was a good time to sell and went to my coinbase to see that the coin had been sent out to an address that registers in Germany!?

This breach happened at the beginning of the small "crash" of today, did anyone else experience this? I am wondering if this is a system wide hack and sell off that caused the action today?

EDIT: This happened with the Authy 2-step verification enabled. Address and screen cap posted on post #14
Burdy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 12:46:19 AM

This is scary to think the whole network can be hacked. Whats the chances this happens?
a1phanumrc

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 12:49:49 AM

This is why you should ALWAYS enable 2-step verification when available.

And it is available on Coinbase.

BC tips: BA1phaSEpCN7jiSS33SSWXf3Bs1rP9SKir
31337157 (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 12:51:22 AM

The crazy thing is, I have 2 step verification on my account. I should have noted that in the initial post. This is what has me worried a bit and I haven't been able to hear back from Coinbase yet.
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 12:54:02 AM

Did you leave your account logged in without being on your computer? If your computer is compromised 2 factor won't stop them from just waiting for you to log in for them.

Also, coinbase needs to add G-auth. I don't want to give them my cell number.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
a1phanumrc

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:10:46 AM

The crazy thing is, I have 2 step verification on my account. I should have noted that in the initial post. This is what has me worried a bit and I haven't been able to hear back from Coinbase yet.

If this is true, then either there's a piece of the puzzle missing on your end or there's something serious going on. If is it serious, they should have suspended active accounts by now... and mine is working just fine. Let's hope Coinbase has not been compromised.

Quote from:  tiberiandusk
Also, coinbase needs to add G-auth.

+1

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:44:01 AM

If this is true, then either there's a piece of the puzzle missing on your end or there's something serious going on. If is it serious, they should have suspended active accounts by now... and mine is working just fine. Let's hope Coinbase has not been compromised.

Quote from:  tiberiandusk
Also, coinbase needs to add G-auth.

+1

No issues here yet either... I'm thinking this is a secluded problem or the OP isn't giving all the information (as we see all too often when claims like this are made). Not saying it's not possible that this is legit, but it's not likely.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Burdy

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:45:12 AM

Can you at least post the address it was sent to or the blockchain transaction?

If not I call BS
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:49:49 AM

If not I call BS

A random transaction could just be pulled and be given as "proof" though, so that doesn't really prove anything.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Burdy

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:51:18 AM

If not I call BS

A random transaction could just be pulled and be given as "proof" though, so that doesn't really prove anything.

Well if it was me I would of posted the address it was sent to in the OP so idk. Might be real, might not. In all reality it doesn't matter to me.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:55:04 AM

If not I call BS

Well if it was me I would of posted the address it was sent to in the OP so idk. Might be real, might not. In all reality it doesn't matter to me.

It just bothers me because there is so much libel going on in these forums that it's hard to tell what is real and what isn't anymore. Apparently every site/coin/service is a scam. Every person here is a scammer. And no items actually exist in the real world.

It's like we're in an alternate dimension.

Burdy

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:01:06 AM

If not I call BS

It just bothers me because there is so much libel going on in these forums that it's hard to tell what is real and what isn't anymore. Apparently every site/coin/service is a scam. Every person here is a scammer. And no items actually exist in the real world.

Well it seems like you would include that wouldn't you? I mean how can you just make a claim like this without any evidence that it happened?
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:03:22 AM

If not I call BS

Well it seems like you would include that wouldn't you? I mean how can you just make a claim like this without any evidence that it happened?

At this point, yes. "Innocent until proven guilty" plays a big role with me.

31337157 (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:32:26 AM

If not I call BS

Thank you to everyone who is responding, I have never found myself in such a situation so I apologize for not posting all of the information available. This experience is all very new to me and I don't have the first idea of how to handle it to be honest.

Here is the address they were sent to: 1Jc7t3Cyi8tFEnEjdMRCU11UhBMnjCP9S3

Hash: 45c7b197f431b76f7e746edd95635f4ac9600f56b2c78c22d47439273e64476b

Here is a screen cap of the "advanced details" through coinbase:

cof

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:36:31 AM

How strong was your password
31337157 (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:37:59 AM

How strong was your password

Capitals, special characters, and numbers.
a1phanumrc

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:40:56 AM

Here is the address they were sent to: 1Jc7t3Cyi8tFEnEjdMRCU11UhBMnjCP9S3

Well, can't be a mistake. Someone is actively spending those funds.

Best of luck on this.

lolanonlol

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:42:33 AM

Watch what you click on
Burdy

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:45:58 AM

I apologize for the comment above, wasn't anything malicious.

42BTC was stole? That is scary. Someone has infected your computer without a doubt if your pw was what you are saying and 2nd auth was in place.

I truly feel sorry for you. Was there any new sites you used or members links you clicked?
jeannie

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:47:22 AM

For Bitcoin, there is no remedy I guess, better do a scan of your computer and ensure that you are not infected with keyloggers etc

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: