Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 10:15:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions/tips for starting mining  (Read 332 times)
KoffieWeiss (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 10:39:24 AM

Hello,

I'm looking to get into mining Cryptocurrencies, and I think starting out on GPU mining may be the best place for me. Are there any suggestions on what I should mine (I have an AMD R9 390X coupled with an FX-6350).

I've been researching Bitcoin Gold a fair bit since the fork, but the overhanging skepticism that it was a cash-grab scam has sort of detered me from wanting to mine this, but there must be other currencies that I can mine from my GPU.

I'm very new to this, so I'm sorry for seeming like I have no idea what I'm on about
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 11:22:31 AM

I am guessing you don't care about electricity cost as that card you have is a power hungry beast consuming about 350 watt at the wall. Still it has a good hashrate and with that you can choose to mine ethereum or Zcash as these are the most profitable coins to mine at the moment (from the major ones). Not well known coins like VTC are giving people profit right now.

Anyway if you don't care about electricity cost download winminer from winminer.com run the benchmark and it will mine for you the most profitable coin or dual coins when possible which with your card surely is.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
KoffieWeiss (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 11:49:48 AM

Not particularly, I'm actually looking into getting another R9 390 to go crossfire. Which will benefit my mining, too. I'll have a read into those and see what's what, and I'll check out the benchmark when I get home tonight. Cheers for the quick response. What kind of degredation over time will I be looking at with my card too, will it greatly affect the lifespan of the card?
freshstorm92

Activity: 162
Merit: 10

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/9498088826998

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 11:58:18 AM

I am running rx580 x3 with rx470 x3, the degree is stable at 53 degree C and they are work very well for over 4 months now. I think you need to consider of how hot the card can be, it's related to the lifetime of card, very closely

beachbummer

Activity: 251
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 12:25:30 PM

Not particularly, I'm actually looking into getting another R9 390 to go crossfire. Which will benefit my mining, too. I'll have a read into those and see what's what, and I'll check out the benchmark when I get home tonight. Cheers for the quick response. What kind of degredation over time will I be looking at with my card too, will it greatly affect the lifespan of the card?

I don't think crossfire helps with mining. I intentionally disabled crossfire for my mining rig.
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 12:31:26 PM

Lifespan depends heavily on temperature of the cards, the lower the temperature the longer the lifespan of your cards. Also crossfire adds only 3-5% in gaming performance and doesn't behave that well in mining too. You should put the second card separately in a PCIEX16 or 8 slot or if your motherboard doesn't have a second one, put it with a riser PCIEX1 to PCIEX16 like anyone of us is doing when mining.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
worldofcoins

Activity: 1904
Merit: 436

Telegram: @worldofcoinss

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2017, 12:44:47 PM

Hello,

I'm looking to get into mining Cryptocurrencies, and I think starting out on GPU mining may be the best place for me. Are there any suggestions on what I should mine (I have an AMD R9 390X coupled with an FX-6350).

I've been researching Bitcoin Gold a fair bit since the fork, but the overhanging skepticism that it was a cash-grab scam has sort of detered me from wanting to mine this, but there must be other currencies that I can mine from my GPU.

I'm very new to this, so I'm sorry for seeming like I have no idea what I'm on about

You have to do your own due diligence in researching, you should not jump because others are jumping.  People always follow, and alot of people felt the same of bitcoin and alt coins at one point.  Do not take the advice of people, not even mine.  You cant trust what people tell you, unless they had made billions on investing.  Being an entrepreneur is about taking risks, and you will lose and win, nothing is set in stone.

*meoww*
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:28:54 PM

Some useful thread about lifespan and card degradations.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1950628.20

and about hashrates, power consumption and Clocks read here

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1613105.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1514239.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1658179.0

I don't think crossfire helps with mining. I intentionally disabled crossfire for my mining rig.

He intend to use the GPU's for gaming, at the same time mining when idled.
KoffieWeiss (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:58:21 PM

By Crossfie, I just meant utilising two cards in the same PC. I know it's licenced software by AMD, I just refered to it incorrectly.

I have another PCIEX16 slot, which is why I'm getting a second card. I can't remember the benchmarks from the top of my head, but I think the MSI model of the 390X that I have can reach 80 degrees Celcius at full utilisation, might tweak some settings to reduce the chance, or delay the time it takes for it to reach that temperature.

And yes, I do intend to use this PC for gaming. Only really mining when I am not using it. Though I've recently come to acquire an ATI HD 5770 GPU, not sure what the mining ability of this card is but I'm able to build another PC with spare parts I have - so it's always an option to use that too, if the GPU is sufficient
Micela13

Activity: 64

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 02:24:32 PM

Hi there, since pretty new to mining myself, would suggest browsing this forum for info about almost everything.
There are many Youtube videos as well which teaches you how to start mining - what hardware you need, how to set up mining rig, which miner, exchange, pool to use etc.
Good luck in your endevour.
KoffieWeiss (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:32:19 AM

I am guessing you don't care about electricity cost as that card you have is a power hungry beast consuming about 350 watt at the wall. Still it has a good hashrate and with that you can choose to mine ethereum or Zcash as these are the most profitable coins to mine at the moment (from the major ones). Not well known coins like VTC are giving people profit right now.

Anyway if you don't care about electricity cost download winminer from winminer.com run the benchmark and it will mine for you the most profitable coin or dual coins when possible which with your card surely is.

I checked out Winminer, it's good for checking what coins are the most profitable. However it does seem a little bit suspicious, I don't particularly like the cash out system that it has and they take 3% of your profits. Seems like it'll be more benficial to set it up myself. And then there's the fact that my friend tried it, uninstalled it, yet it magically reappeared on his HDD again
Sev18

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 01:07:06 PM

Those hardwares are one of the most power consuming. If you don't care for electricity bill, try mine ethereum with GPU and monero with CPU.

■■■■■■■  Multi-Algo Switching Manager - MULTIPOOL MULTIALGO Profit Switch Launcher  ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■             https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2041971             ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■                           Download Now!                           ■■■■■■■
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: