Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 01:50:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Got hacked and robbed. My mistake for keeping coins on exchange  (Read 1492 times)
rushingfn (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 10:49:45 AM

My coinbase got hacked today. I got a message on my phone saying that my password had changed. I attempted to follow instructions to stop it, but by the time I had, it was too late and the theif emptied out my hot wallet. The only saving grace was that coinbase has vaults which give 48 hour delay. I wish that I would have transferred more coins to the vault as they were protected. Coinbase has some serious vulnerabilities, but whoever the thief was was able to login from my IP and was able to login to my email despite the fact that I had just changed my password. Be careful out there. Cold wallet your coins.
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 10:55:13 AM

My coinbase got hacked today. I got a message on my phone saying that my password had changed. I attempted to follow instructions to stop it, but by the time I had, it was too late and the theif emptied out my hot wallet. The only saving grace was that coinbase has vaults which give 48 hour delay. I wish that I would have transferred more coins to the vault as they were protected. Coinbase has some serious vulnerabilities, but whoever the thief was was able to login from my IP and was able to login to my email despite the fact that I had just changed my password. Be careful out there. Cold wallet your coins.

It's never a good idea to store coins on exchange. However I doubt Coinbase has serious vulnerabilities. What happened is that you most likely got infected with a RAT. Its not a problem for the hacker to log in with your IP and your email really. Ways to prevent this is usage of 2FA
rushingfn (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 10:59:13 AM

It's never a good idea to store coins on exchange. However I doubt Coinbase has serious vulnerabilities. What happened is that you most likely got infected with a RAT. Its not a problem for the hacker to log in with your IP and your email really. Ways to prevent this is usage of 2FA

I do use 2FA. I need google authenticator every login. I wish it would have been SMS. I'm not sure how this happened. I just wish I would have kept more of them in a vault, or sold my hot wallet contents earlier.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 3838

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 11:02:08 AM

I do use 2FA. I need google authenticator every login. I wish it would have been SMS. I'm not sure how this happened. I just wish I would have kept more of them in a vault, or sold my hot wallet contents earlier.

I'm pretty sure you're alot more likely to be easier to be hacked if you're using SMS authentication rather than Google's 2FA.

There's like a 90% chance that the problem is on your side and not Coinbase's. If Coinbase actually got hacked then the news should be spreading fast like wildfire. Any chance that you're using the same password in multiple websites? Also, definitely do a malware scan on your computer asap.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
nydiacaskey01
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 11:04:16 AM

So I guess what happened is you have 2FA activated but you ticked that box that asked you to never ask you again in 30 days for the same computer. Did you use a public computer? I don't tick that box that disables 2FA in 30 days. It beats the purpose of having 2FA security and again it's not a good idea to store your coins in an online wallet.
mr_stark

Activity: 37

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2017, 11:21:07 AM

I don't think it is possible to bypass 2FA or crack it. You should keep all the funds in vault and if keeping on exchange secure it by 2FA on login and withdrawal.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2017, 11:55:31 AM

SMS 2FA is more vulnerable to spoofing than Google Authenticator.
But despite of any vulnerabilities.. you should never store coins longer than necessary on an exchange.
You should definetly run a full malware scan.
Do you have any clue how this happened? Did you already scan your pc for malware?
Did you logon from mobile phones? Or via hotspot? Did you always check you are on the official site? Also checked TLS encryption (https)?
If you have different passwords for coinbase and your email account and you never reused a password twice the chances that
you are infected with a trojan is very very high. In this case clean your PC, get a fresh OS and only then start storing
bitcoins (or login credentials to exchanges) on your pc again.

Jonsnowstark

Activity: 364
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 12:15:52 PM

This is sad. I don't think coinbase is vulnerable though. Just a note, never keep your coins in an exchange site for too long. Secure your wallet address in a place where it cannot be easily stolen. I do 2fa for my accounts in exchange sites too and i never have problems with it. That's the best way to feel secure about my investments.

amila_cs

Activity: 392
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2017, 12:21:24 PM

Everybody I know is saying not to store coins in Exchanges. But when you are into day trading, how do you manage that. Having coins in the exchange is pretty much easy to buy/sell in sudden market movements

WONO

⇐ ● WONO is a Decentralized P2P-platform for exchange or rent of  any assets and services without currency and taxation expenses ● ⇒

○ ○ ○  WEBSITEWHITEPAPERTELEGRAMTWITTERFACEBOOK  ○ ○  ○
farhaan

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 12:27:51 PM

That's why it is always said not to store your bitcoins in exchange ever.We are already familiar wit Mt.Gox collapse.But even now,some newbies don't know about the seriousness of storing bitcoins in exchanges.

Always store in desktop wallets like Electrum which are safe and secure.

▄▄ ▀█▄▀█▄ ▄ ▄
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀ ▄
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀█ ▄█▀  ███▀██▄▄▀
█████▀▀█ ██  ███ ██████▄▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄█ ██▌  ███▄▀██████▄▀
█████▀ ▀▄ ██▄  ▀███▄▀▀▀▀▀▄█▄▀
 ▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▀▄ ▀██▄  ▀▀████████▐▌█
  ██████  ▀▄ ▀██▄▄   ▀▀▀▀▀ ▐▌█▀
   ▀██▀  ▄▄▀▀▄ ▀▀████▄▄▄▄▄█▀ █▀▄
       ▄███▀  ▀█▄▄▄ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▄▀ ▀▄
       ▀██▀  ▄███  ▀█▀▀█▀▀▀▄ █▄
            ▄███  ▐██▌ ██▌ █▄ ▀
              ▀   ███  ███  ▀
ONSTELLAR   ▄████▄▄
  █████  █▄
 ▐██████████▄▄
 ▐███████████▀█▄
 ██████▀▀▀▀████▀
 █████           ▄▄▄▄                        ▄▄▄
▐█████▌       ▄▄███████        ▄▄████▄      ▀▀███
███████      ███████████      ████████▌       ███
███████▌    ███████▀▀▀███    ▐████   ▀▀
████████   ▐██████▌    ▀▀     ▀▀▀
█████████  ███████
▐█████████   ▀▀▀▀
  ▀██████▀
FROM THE PARANORMAL TO THE METAPHYSICAL
THE WORLD'S FIRST SOCIAL NETWORK
WHERE THE UNEXPLAINED LIVES...

▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄▄▄▄▄█████████████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄█████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄███████████████████▀▀▀▀▀███████████████████▄
█████████████████▀
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄▀█████████████████
████████████████
███████████████ ████████████████
▀██████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀▄██████████████▀
▀▀▀██████████████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████▀▀▀▀▀
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
TELEGRAM
Baofeng
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1664

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 12:28:03 PM

Everybody I know is saying not to store coins in Exchanges. But when you are into day trading, how do you manage that. Having coins in the exchange is pretty much easy to buy/sell in sudden market movements

Oh well, hackers strikes again and I'm sorry for you lost. I think they found vulnerabilities in you. Vault is a good practice as well as Google Authenticator. We preached not to put a lot of bitcoin in a exchange because of the chances of a hack, so I also hope that what they took from you is just a small amount of bitcoins, used only for your day trading. I familiar with RAT virus or malware though, will try to research later so that I can prevent myself for being hack as well.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Hexah

Activity: 728
Merit: 265

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 12:38:59 PM

It is not really recommended to keep your coins to an exchange because it's prone to hacking activities andany frauds, so, if you want to keep your coins store it on hardware wallets or if you don't have that one maybe you can use cold wallets for long term or hot wallets if you used your coins everyday. Online web wallets are not good wallets to keep your coins because it isn't a private one though, so better move to keep it on a cold, hardware and paper wallets for better security.
Priktrice

Activity: 14

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 12:59:38 PM

was able to login from my IP and was able to login to my email despite the fact that I had just changed my password.
You most likely have a rat (remote administrator tool) on your computer allowing that very hacker to see everything you do and type,  and also to remote control your computer as well as using his computer to browse from your ip address.  My guess is that he grabbed your login for your email and used a reverse proxy to login and change your info and take your btc.  I would recommend checking your computer for malware and also checking your startup entries. If that doesn't get rid of the hacker,  then you probably should just reset and keep only what you need.
rifiuti

Activity: 320
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:04:53 PM

To OP and hodlers;

Get an USB
Install persistent ubuntu with Electrum
When you want to send some coins, reboot computer and plug USB and switch to Ubuntu
Don't connect the internet when USB is plugged
Broadcast the transaction
Reboot
Switch to Windows
Verify the transaction

I believe this would be the most secure way.

I'm sure this advice given thousand times but; If you can afford Bitcoin, you can afford a damn Trezor or Ledger Nano. Better safe than sorry.
eagleman

Activity: 1190
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:09:43 PM

That's why I'm not going to store most of my bitcoin on an exchange because there's no perfect exchange. I just can't understand on how did the hacker was able to log in with your IP, are you exposing your details online or you are sharing someone with your internet? Did you reached out the coinbase support and asked to help you with your problem? You should ask them to help you since it's also a fault to their system until finding out that it's your fault.
Mahanton

Activity: 2716
Merit: 632

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:16:09 PM

Quiet odd that you didnt activate that sms verification. Ive been using coinbase and this security features ive been using which it do send codes into my mobile phone number  and then an email verification before you would able to log in completely.I suspect theres a RAT on your pc which the hacker did able to know all the credentials needed for accessing your account.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Lucius
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 5692

Blackjack.fun🎲

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2017, 01:19:00 PM

Every day a new case of lost / stolen BTC from online,but also from desktop wallets tells us that people just do not stick to the most basic things when using computers and the internet.It does not matter do you keep BTC on online or desktop wallet if you let something bad to infects your PC,such is this RAT(remote access trojan).I agree that if you have a significant amount of coins hardware/paper wallet is something that simply must be used.

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
bigboybitcoin

Activity: 16

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:28:03 PM

I think your 2fa was compromised some how.
Or if you have not enebled 2fa it was your fault.
Though i feel for your loss and pain .
In September i also lost 3000usd from poloniex even i have 2fa enabled there.
JeffBrad12

Activity: 2786
Merit: 524

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:28:20 PM

I just know about the coinbase has 2fa verification and why you are no using it. The possible thing about you were getting phishing. If the hacker be able to login into your email and that will be the end of the story.
Or another speculation about your computer got infected by ransom ware. Remember to not to publicly your email address that has used to store all of your data.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
tj4dmx

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:30:48 PM

Basically,the hacking was possible by using a RAT !
Your security is already compromised !!

You need a fresh laptop or even maybe you can get a brand new laptop !!
Sorry bro.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: