Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:15:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the mods getting paid from this forum?  (Read 10695 times)
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 08:21:44 PM

Didn't Diablo3 get demodded in the custom hardware subforum specifically because he dared to moderate in a way Josh saw as detrimental towards BFL? Or is this an old man's faulty memory at work?

He tried to censor anyone that wanted to discuss BFL (bad or good), even went so far as to start deleting threads consisting of many pages of discussion. Remember when he moved all the threads to german off topic, then locked the only remaining BFL thread? He felt very strongly that it was a scam, and that discussion regarding BFL shouldn't be allowed or should be heavily moderated.
My post in the staff forum (before payments mind you, this was 6+ months ago).

...I think Diablo is wrong here. It isn't our job as moderators to decide what's a scam or not, and it isn't our job to restrict what information people should have (re: deleting the BFL thread as "anti-scam policy") based on nothing more than opinion/speculation. That's not why we're here, people are more than capable of making their own decisions without our interference.

I get Diablo doesn't like BFL and thinks it's a scam, and he's certainly free to express his opinion on that, but abusing his mod privileges in this way because of that is going a little too far.

05:39 < Diablo-D3> bfl purposely had their shills start hundreds of troll threads to make it hard to find information about bfl
05:39 < Diablo-D3> I fixed the problem.
And if that's the reasoning behind moving all the BFL threads to off topic, then I gotta say I disagree with that as well. There may be specific threads that have issues, but that seems kind of a knee jerk reaction. I guess that isn't a big deal, nobody seems to care so far.

This is the whole problem with it though.

05:36 < Diablo-D3> sipa: because bfl has basically admitted there are no units and never will be

05:40 < sipa> i asked for a link
05:41 < Diablo-D3> yes, and I said go find it yourself
05:41 < Diablo-D3> it might have gotten misplaced in the cleanup

If there's a chance you're moving information like that (that appears to have solidly convinced you it's a scam) to off topic over this, or "misplacing" it, perhaps you should reconsider the standards you've set.  

This part in particular I still strongly believe "People are more than capable of making their own decisions without our interference", assuming they have access to all the information, and not just what some dude who happens to be a mod thinks they should have.  

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:34:09 PM

Moderators should get paid. I see no problem here, especially not an eight-page problem.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:49:38 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Bear.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 09:15:54 PM

Didn't Diablo3 get demodded in the custom hardware subforum specifically because he dared to moderate in a way Josh saw as detrimental towards BFL? Or is this an old man's faulty memory at work?

He tried to censor anyone that wanted to discuss BFL (bad or good), even went so far as to start deleting threads consisting of many pages of discussion. Remember when he moved all the threads to german off topic, then locked the only remaining BFL thread? He felt very strongly that it was a scam, and that discussion regarding BFL shouldn't be allowed or should be heavily moderated.
My post in the staff forum (before payments mind you, this was 6+ months ago).

...I think Diablo is wrong here. It isn't our job as moderators to decide what's a scam or not, and it isn't our job to restrict what information people should have (re: deleting the BFL thread as "anti-scam policy") based on nothing more than opinion/speculation. That's not why we're here, people are more than capable of making their own decisions without our interference.

I get Diablo doesn't like BFL and thinks it's a scam, and he's certainly free to express his opinion on that, but abusing his mod privileges in this way because of that is going a little too far.

05:39 < Diablo-D3> bfl purposely had their shills start hundreds of troll threads to make it hard to find information about bfl
05:39 < Diablo-D3> I fixed the problem.
And if that's the reasoning behind moving all the BFL threads to off topic, then I gotta say I disagree with that as well. There may be specific threads that have issues, but that seems kind of a knee jerk reaction. I guess that isn't a big deal, nobody seems to care so far.

This is the whole problem with it though.

05:36 < Diablo-D3> sipa: because bfl has basically admitted there are no units and never will be

05:40 < sipa> i asked for a link
05:41 < Diablo-D3> yes, and I said go find it yourself
05:41 < Diablo-D3> it might have gotten misplaced in the cleanup

If there's a chance you're moving information like that (that appears to have solidly convinced you it's a scam) to off topic over this, or "misplacing" it, perhaps you should reconsider the standards you've set.  

This part in particular I still strongly believe "People are more than capable of making their own decisions without our interference", assuming they have access to all the information, and not just what some dude who happens to be a mod thinks they should have.  

Yeah, I remember that too. As I said before, I don't care how theymos runs his business and don't mind the mods getting paid. I'm all for it but it does look suspect that BFL is paying the forum admin and mods. Mods should be looked up to and their opinion should be trusted (look at the new trust system - who administers that again?). I do think people should make up their own minds about who to trust. I don't think it's a good decision to make sure that they know they can't trust forum staff. I'm glad your against it but perception is what I'm concerned with and it looks bad. How many people think that way but won't waste the time to say something: "Bitcoin - um, let's take a look - nope, just a bunch of crooks - move along."

To the dumbass above that said, "if you don't like this place go somewhere else." I do like this place and Bitcoin that's why I'm concerned about how it appears to the world. Only a moron couldn't see that.

a1phanumrc

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 09:46:42 PM

To the dumbass above that said, "if you don't like this place go somewhere else." I do like this place and Bitcoin that's why I'm concerned about how it appears to the world. Only a moron couldn't see that.

Roll Eyes

Do you fail this hard at life, too?

BC tips: BA1phaSEpCN7jiSS33SSWXf3Bs1rP9SKir
Burdy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:07:57 PM

Why is it a big deal if they get paid? They provide a service for all of us and in return earn some bitcoins, I don't see anything wrong here.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:13:44 PM

Why is it a big deal if they get paid? They provide a service for all of us and in return earn some bitcoins, I don't see anything wrong here.

It is an ethical thing, are they doing it cause they paid, or are they doing it to help foster growth in the community. Also they didn't formally announce it. I see their point but also transparency is key in this community at the most.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:36:39 PM

It is an ethical thing, are they doing it cause they paid, or are they doing it to help foster growth in the community. Also they didn't formally announce it. I see their point but also transparency is key in this community at the most.

The mods have been giving their time and effort for years without being paid, so you can't just allege they are doing it now because of wanting payments!
The reason for not publicizing it makes a lot of sense: to let people aspire to become mods without being overly influenced by wanting payment for it.

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:41:58 PM

The mods have been giving their time and effort for years without being paid, so you can't just allege they are doing it now because of wanting payments!
The reason for not publicizing it makes a lot of sense: to let people aspire to become mods without being overly influenced by wanting payment for it.

Yeah we got all that. But still, I was thinking of buying ads soon, and no where does it say that the ads are going to mods. That would be nice, cause the forum is non-profit so transparency is a big thing. At least in my opinion, and money does change people, not saying it changed any of the mods but it could happen. 
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:13:03 PM

Yeah we got all that. But still, I was thinking of buying ads soon, and no where does it say that the ads are going to mods. That would be nice, cause the forum is non-profit so transparency is a big thing. At least in my opinion, and money does change people, not saying it changed any of the mods but it could happen. 

Now, really, it's none of your business where the ads money is spent. You buy an ad, you get served what you paid for, an ad only, no decision power on how the forum spends the money you paid for a service that was provided.
Talk about entitlement!
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:22:31 PM

Now, really, it's none of your business where the ads money is spent. You buy an ad, you get served what you paid for, an ad only, no decision power on how the forum spends the money you paid for a service that was provided.
Talk about entitlement!

I don't feel entitled at all. You are correct, it is none of my business where the ad money is being spent, I don't want the decision power at all on how the forum's money is being spent. But the forum is a big hub for the community and I think it should be as transparent as it could be, is that really too much to ask? I also agree that people who see the mod job as making money and not as a privilege in the community, if this become too publicized. I am kinda torn between being open and not publicizing it.
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:43:30 AM

In most entities including corps and even gov the owners don't have any control over it on purpose.  Real ownership falls to those who benefit from the net income of an entity.  Find out who that is and that's who owns it.  The rest is just smoke and mirrors.

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:00:07 AM

I've seen forums 10x this size, games, and websites modded by others for free, all volunteer.
Hell RuneScape, and World of Warcraft are un-paid forum mods, and game mods.

Should moderators be paid to click 1 button to mod retardation of the community? No.
Should I bitch because the owner of this site, takes HIS income, and 'donates' to some people who help him out? No.

Believe it or not, the donation, and ad revenue belongs to the owner of this site, he can do what he wants with his money, as long as we never have to pay to use, so the mods get paid. This isn't a community owned forum, with the revenue its bringing, its a business.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:03:30 AM

I've seen forums 10x this size, games, and websites modded by others for free, all volunteer.

Should moderators be paid to click 1 button to mod retardation of the community? No.
Should I bitch because the owner of this site, takes HIS income, and 'donates' to some people who help him out? No.

Believe it or not, the donation, and ad revenue belongs to the owner of this site, he can do what he wants with his money, as long as we never have to pay to use, so the mods get paid. This isn't a community owned forum, with the revenue its bringing, its a business.

/end thread

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:18:59 AM

That's not true. This forum is not for profit, and theymos does not own it.
farlack
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:37:36 AM

That's not true. This forum is not for profit, and theymos does not own it.

I never said theymos owns it, and not for profit? You keep telling yourself that my friend.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:44:04 AM

torac is donating a portion of proceeds from each sale back to the site, which creates a conflict of interest in acting against torac

The forum is non-profit. I don't get anything whether he donates or not.

farlack
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:51:52 AM

torac is donating a portion of proceeds from each sale back to the site, which creates a conflict of interest in acting against torac

The forum is non-profit. I don't get anything whether he donates or not.

Maybe I'm just blind, but I see a $850 payment to theymos. I'm not sure if there are multiple wallets, but I recall seeing $40,000 sitting in the donation wallet. Now $24,000.

This isn't a charity, its not up to anyone who gets to spend the funds in the bank on who and what, don't like it, make your own.

P.S. id be claiming not for profit too.
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:05:58 AM

Would be interesting to see how the good ol' IRS sees this non-owner and not an official nonprofit forum structure but now a bunch of mods admitted and claimed btc addresses receiving income to themselves.

r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:08:37 AM

Would be interesting to see how the good ol' IRS sees this non-owner and not an official nonprofit forum structure but now a bunch of mods admitted and claimed btc addresses receiving income to themselves.

to my knowledge none of the forum owners or hosting occurs in the US, so its probably exempt to the laws of the IRS

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: