Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:50:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitaddress safe?  (Read 533 times)
berluscoin (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 07:42:12 PM

I have read on a book that this procedure is quite safe:

1. go to bitaddress.org
2. Switch the internet off
3. Save the HTML file in a USD device
4. Restart the computer with a bootable Linux Live CD
5. Make sure that you are offline and open the HTML file
6. Follow the rest on bitaddress.org to create a paper wallet

On reddit, someone says that if bitaddress is compromised, your wallet will also be at risk.
Now, I do understand that this means that it is not 100% safe, but is it still a good, valid and safe option to store a large amount of bitcoins?

Thanks
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
javadsalehi

Activity: 364
Merit: 13

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 07:48:25 PM

I haven't ever seen anyone experienced any problem. Seems to be safe.
pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 03:32:59 AM

Of course its safe. Its safer than some web wallet solutions out there even.

Its also hard to compromise bitaddress.org's code in Github because every change is done in transparency. Thats one of the advantages of open source.

Another thing you can do is run the zip file through a checksum program and post the hash somewhere for everyone to confirm. If theres a change in the hash, then you can check the code and look for it.

mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 05:24:03 AM

As long as there is no malicious code on their GitHub repository then you're good. The wallet seed is generated offline anyway. Mind linking us the Reddit link that claims that bitaddress.org is compromised?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 05:56:55 AM

Where do you get that procedure of bitaddress.org? Its the first time I've seen it. I bet you don't need to have any pen drive just go to bitaddress.org, scroll down, click the repository on github of this site and download or clone it on your device, after you downloaded it, extract the file and run the html file offline, and the rest is yours to follow.

And even the site compromised as I explained just download the whole site from github repository then you're ready to go.

Repository Link: https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org

If you're asking if bitaddress is safe, I'll tell you that is one the safest place where you can generate/make abtc address.
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 06:01:34 AM

It's safe if you run it offline and download it from the official github repo, yes.

But really, it is only a ssafe as your computer. Even if it is open source and proven by time, there is no good using it on an infected computer and expecting a good result out of it. Secure your own computer first, before running it even offline.

There is always a slight possibility of them being compromised, but that can be countered by downloading the source code direct.

Smiley
berluscoin (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 10:43:38 AM

As long as there is no malicious code on their GitHub repository then you're good. The wallet seed is generated offline anyway. Mind linking us the Reddit link that claims that bitaddress.org is compromised?

Nope, maybe I explained it bad. Someone said that IF it is compromised, then it is not secure; but he doesn't say that it is compromised.
I was trying to look for it but I can't find it, he suggested to look at the source first, but I am not familiar with this, so I will just go for it to diversify, I already have a hardware wallet and a web wallet (this one for trading).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: