Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:14:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 12v rail drops to 11.58v Should i look for a new PSU?  (Read 7836 times)
Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:53:17 AM

Title says it all, My PSU's 12v rail drops to 11.58v when at full load (Running BF3 while mining with Furmark running in the backround, I can think of much more load other than a torture test)

Should i be looking into new PSU's? Such a drop in the 12v rail really worries me, I have very little experiance with PSU's and i am looking for guidance, I already know i bought a bad brand
RAIDMAX 1000W Gold

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 04:38:05 PM

1. How did you measure the 12V? With a cheap multimeter (few $) or a better one? Or are you relying on the inbuilt sensors which are not always accurate because they are very cheap?

2. 11.58V is still within ATX 2.2 specification. THe PSU +12 VDC rail's voltage should be between 11.4 and 12.6 V (5% tolerance; it hasn't changed in 2.3 AFAIK).   

Signature space available for rent.
Fiyasko (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:47:30 PM

1. How did you measure the 12V? With a cheap multimeter (few $) or a better one? Or are you relying on the inbuilt sensors which are not always accurate because they are very cheap?

2. 11.58V is still within ATX 2.2 specification. THe PSU +12 VDC rail's voltage should be between 11.4 and 12.6 V (5% tolerance; it hasn't changed in 2.3 AFAIK).   
Number 1.c) good sir.
I used OCCT to gather the readings

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:29:35 PM

If you want to ensure you have the correct voltage reading you can try measuring it with a multimeter.

Take one of the molex connectors and the black wire of the multimeter should go to the black wire of a molex connector and the red one should go with a yellow one.

Picture below is not mine but that's how it should look:

Don't forget to measure the voltage both when the rig is idle as well as when it is under full load.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:28:28 PM

If you want to ensure you have the correct voltage reading you can try measuring it with a multimeter.

Take one of the molex connectors and the black wire of the multimeter should go to the black wire of a molex connector and the red one should go with a yellow one.

Picture below is not mine but that's how it should look:

Don't forget to measure the voltage both when the rig is idle as well as when it is under full load.
if you're going to do that, make sure your multimeter's margin of error is less than +-0.1 volts. Because anything more and you're just measuring noise. Also, if you're on a mult-rail PSU, make sure you measure each rail.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:59:23 PM

if you're going to do that, make sure your multimeter's margin of error is less than +-0.1 volts. Because anything more and you're just measuring noise. Also, if you're on a mult-rail PSU, make sure you measure each rail.

That's why I mentioned earlier to get a decent one. Good that you mention to measure each rail -- most PSUs with a high wattage are multi-rail, single rail are usually quite expensive.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: