Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:05:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should the Bitcoin hashing algorithm be changed to Scrypt-Jane?
Yes - 57 (27.7%)
No - 149 (72.3%)
Total Voters: 206

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal to change Bitcoins hashing algorithm to Scrypt-Jane  (Read 7226 times)
Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:10:22 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2013, 07:52:12 PM by Frizz23

This ASIC arms race has gotten out of hand. To give Bitcoin back to the majority of Bitcoiners I hereby propose to change the hashing algorithm to Scrypt-Jane.

PS, yes I'm serious.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
phantastisch
Legendary

Activity: 2270
Merit: 1363

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:15:39 PM

This ASIC arms race has gotten out of hand. To give Bitcoin back to the majority of Bitcoiners I hereby propose to change the hashing algorithm to Scrpyt-Jane.

PS, yes I'm serious.

Only miners have voting power. You cannot change that.

HOWEYCOINS   ▮      Excitement and         ⭐  ● TWITTER  ● FACEBOOK   ⭐       
  ▮    guaranteed returns                 ●TELEGRAM                         
  ▮  of the travel industry
    ⭐  ●Ann Thread ●Instagram   ⭐ 
✅    U.S.Sec    ➡️
✅  approved!  ➡️
bitman442

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:30:51 PM

I think somebody owns stock in AMD lol.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 02:54:09 PM

This ASIC arms race has gotten out of hand.

I think that's the whole purpose.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:59:19 PM

This ASIC arms race has gotten out of hand. To give Bitcoin back to the majority of Bitcoiners I hereby propose to change the hashing algorithm to Scrpyt-Jane.

PS, yes I'm serious.

Only miners have voting power. You cannot change that.

Doesn't sound very libertarian to me.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:09:23 PM

Then people will do a new arms race with new devices for scrypt, the only thing it will do is piss off everyone who bought mining equip or mining shares (quite a lot of people) and thus hurting Bitcoin. -> clear No
jaywaka2713

Activity: 266

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:38:16 PM

ASICs shouldn't bother anyone. A rig with 4 7970 GPUs can only get barely 4 GH/s and costs over $3000. Now, for $649, you can get a rig that gives you 4.5 GH/s. ASICs are so much cheaper, with the tradeoff of having only one purpose. Also, imagine how mad CPU miners were when GPU miners came out. Must have been infuriating. Advancement of technology will always happen. ASICs just happen to be the next step past GPUs. There will be something to pass up ASICs in something like 10 years. Just watch.

SeanArce

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 04:09:22 PM

Are gpu's still worth investing in if you get free electricity?

www.onefamous.org
https://soundcloud.com/naer-sri
15ZmN3d7WZDo4WbZwPFJMZcPMBDUkueGH7 - my  btc address
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 04:14:13 PM

Why not just create a new competing currency and let the free market choose?

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
jaywaka2713

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 04:27:02 PM

Are gpu's still worth investing in if you get free electricity?

Are ASICs worth investing in if you get free electricity?

2 7970s will cost you $950 for just under 2 Gh/s
$650 can get you a 4.5 Gh/s rig.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4500

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:23:51 PM

PS, yes I'm serious.
already done
cough litecoin cough
litecoin is for the noobs wanting the sandbox of crypto currency to dip their feet into, learn the ropes, get into business, make some money and then decide if they want to get into the big business of bitcoin, or develop the litecoin further. much like growing up in africa, starting with new economy. do you stay and develop a new economy. or get on a plane and move to the developed world. your free to decide

also to add, thinking that mining is the only way to make money is very narrow minded and shows you have no clue what economy is.

think about todays real bricks and mortar world.

are your family getting an income from minting bank notes or being gold diggers.. no. the creation of the currency should be less then 1% of the total ways to make money.

think about retail, domestic services, fast food, manufacturing.. bitcoin has opened up a new economy just like opening a fresh new country. mining is not the only job vacancy listing.. open your mind. find a niche and become a bitcoin millionaire.

imagine it like this. looking at the fiat market and wishing you could go back 100 years and be right at the start of the "big boys" of business.. well here is your chance

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:33:07 PM

Someone already did - it's called YACoin.
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:39:56 PM

There you go OP.  Just convert all of your Bitcoins to YACoins and start mining them.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
jaywaka2713

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:43:48 PM

There you go OP.  Just convert all of your Bitcoins to YACoins and start mining them.

https://vircurex.com/welcome/index?alt=yac&base=btc&locale=en
https://www.cryptsy.com/markets/view/11

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 06:12:23 PM

Just be happy that there is no new technology beyond ASICs for a long time.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
jaywaka2713

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:13:06 PM

Give it 5 to 10 years. 2nd Gen ASICs will probably come out in 2 to 3 years though.

greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:43:14 PM

rograz

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 09:59:46 PM

Give it 5 to 10 years. 2nd Gen ASICs will probably come out in 2 to 3 years though.

If KNC actually gets their 28nm asics out the door we are pretty much done with rapid asic progression, after that we will be at the mercy of node shrinks like the rest of the industry.
jaywaka2713

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:02:01 PM

Thats a quantum computer, not an ASIC. Quantum Computing actually isn't as efficient as ASICs are, and it is not a threat. Quantum Computing cannot compute SHA256 math at a fast pace.

If KNC actually gets their 28nm asics out the door we are pretty much done with rapid asic progression, after that we will be at the mercy of node shrinks like the rest of the industry.

What are node shrinks?

atariguy

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:14:45 PM

ASICs shouldn't bother anyone. A rig with 4 7970 GPUs can only get barely 4 GH/s and costs over $3000. Now, for $649, you can get a rig that gives you 4.5 GH/s. ASICs are so much cheaper, with the tradeoff of having only one purpose. Also, imagine how mad CPU miners were when GPU miners came out. Must have been infuriating. Advancement of technology will always happen. ASICs just happen to be the next step past GPUs. There will be something to pass up ASICs in something like 10 years. Just watch.

Until I can order an ASIC on Amazon and have it delivered the next day and for less money than the same hashpower in a GPU, that is purely hypothetical.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: