Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:24:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should the Bitcoin hashing algorithm be changed to Scrypt-Jane?
Yes - 57 (27.7%)
No - 149 (72.3%)
Total Voters: 206

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal to change Bitcoins hashing algorithm to Scrypt-Jane  (Read 7224 times)
atariguy

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:16:16 PM

Are gpu's still worth investing in if you get free electricity?

They're still worth it today even if you have to pay for electricity, but not if you have to also pay for the PC to put them in.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:30:24 PM

This ASIC arms race has gotten out of hand. To give Bitcoin back to the majority of Bitcoiners I hereby propose to change the hashing algorithm to Scrpyt-Jane.

PS, yes I'm serious.

Only miners have voting power. You cannot change that.

This right here. I think changing BTC over to scrypt-jane would cause a massive issue with the system as a whole at this point. ASIC's would then be useless, as well as all the money invested in them, and that would cause a (likely large) exodus from the currency.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
hak8or

Activity: 172

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:42:49 PM

This right here. I think changing BTC over to scrypt-jane would cause a massive issue with the system as a whole at this point. ASIC's would then be useless, as well as all the money invested in them, and that would cause a (likely large) exodus from the currency.

This, miners who invested hundreds if not thousands of dollars would be cheated out. They are the people who are willing to invest and risk large amounts of money into the bitcoin mining world. If you alienate them like this, due to having a finite supply of such people, less people will be mining, and there will be far fewer people willing to spend time and money to design new ASIC's for the alternative mining algorithm. We will have a very small hash rate for a very long time, the efficiency of mining will be low due to using GPU's, which will make it easier for an opposing party to bring it down.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:45:39 PM

This, miners who invested hundreds if not thousands of dollars would be cheated out. They are the people who are willing to invest and risk large amounts of money into the bitcoin mining world. If you alienate them like this, due to having a finite supply of such people, less people will be mining, and there will be far fewer people willing to spend time and money to design new ASIC's for the alternative mining algorithm. We will have a very small hash rate for a very long time, the efficiency of mining will be low due to using GPU's, which will make it easier for an opposing party to bring it down.

I hadn't even considered the ability of attacking BTC with 51%'s due to a change like this. That in itself is a huge red flag.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
illpoet

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:30:56 PM

i think sha256 is what will keep bitcoin the gold standard vs litecoin the silver standard. I've noticed all the 100+ alt coins that have come out of the woodwork all seem to use scrypt.  i guess thats bc anyone can mine your chain for a long period of time.  the asic arms race has got a little crazy, and ithink its funny how its not playing out like everyone expected (i remember when any miner i'd talk to would say "gpu mining will be completely dead by november 2012).  i've already made the switch to ltc with my gpu rigs but thats mostly bc i think litecoin is undervalued.   oh well i guess only time will tell.

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:32:22 PM

i think sha256 is what will keep bitcoin the gold standard vs litecoin the silver standard. I've noticed all the 100+ alt coins that have come out of the woodwork all seem to use scrypt.  i guess thats bc anyone can mine your chain for a long period of time.  the asic arms race has got a little crazy, and ithink its funny how its not playing out like everyone expected (i remember when any miner i'd talk to would say "gpu mining will be completely dead by november 2012).  i've already made the switch to ltc with my gpu rigs but thats mostly bc i think litecoin is undervalued.   oh well i guess only time will tell.

lol, people claim BTC mining is dead on GPU's all the time. For most people, though, it's still profitable. And it's arguably the safest coin to mine as well. If the crypto scene died down, BTC would be the last to fall.

happygeorge

Activity: 146

In da Jungle!

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:31:19 AM

Did you guys see this related Poll?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233420.0

it looks most people REALLY DON'T THINK SO!  65 Votes so far... I guess that is a pretty sizeable sample for BT
bbulker

Activity: 124

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:24:50 AM

Enough with the "ASICS are bad mmmkay"
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 01:32:43 AM

ASICs shouldn't bother anyone. A rig with 4 7970 GPUs can only get barely 4 GH/s and costs over $3000. Now, for $649, you can get a rig that gives you 4.5 GH/s. ASICs are so much cheaper, with the tradeoff of having only one purpose. Also, imagine how mad CPU miners were when GPU miners came out. Must have been infuriating. Advancement of technology will always happen. ASICs just happen to be the next step past GPUs. There will be something to pass up ASICs in something like 10 years. Just watch.

Until I can order an ASIC on Amazon and have it delivered the next day and for less money than the same hashpower in a GPU, that is purely hypothetical.

But this is where it will end up. Since there is not much more that can be done technology wise, in order to be competitive it's all about producing as many as possible at the cheapest cost.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:36:02 AM

ASICs shouldn't bother anyone. A rig with 4 7970 GPUs can only get barely 4 GH/s and costs over $3000. Now, for $649, you can get a rig that gives you 4.5 GH/s. ASICs are so much cheaper, with the tradeoff of having only one purpose. Also, imagine how mad CPU miners were when GPU miners came out. Must have been infuriating. Advancement of technology will always happen. ASICs just happen to be the next step past GPUs. There will be something to pass up ASICs in something like 10 years. Just watch.

Until I can order an ASIC on Amazon and have it delivered the next day and for less money than the same hashpower in a GPU, that is purely hypothetical.

But this is where it will end up. Since there is not much more that can be done technology wise, in order to be competitive it's all about producing as many as possible at the cheapest cost.

I agree. I'm positive there are companies close to getting ASIC's ready to go mass produce that aren't going public yet because they are going to mine them until their profitability goes down. It doesn't make sense to think otherwise: if you can sell something for $300 or earn $200 a day off it, it's clear which path to take.

bytemaster

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 01:38:13 AM

I started a bounty for a better hashing algorithm that will keep things more decentralized: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=234611.0

As long as changing the hashing algorithm is on the table, we might as well attempt to find the best one!

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:43:44 AM

I started a bounty for a better hashing algorithm that will keep things more decentralized: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=234611.0

As long as changing the hashing algorithm is on the table, we might as well attempt to find the best one!

I really don't see changing the algorithm happening. Especially with how old Bitcoin is and its following right now...

bytemaster

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 02:02:54 AM

Bitcoin cannot change hashing algorithms without a 'fork' as the current miners would never go for it.  But new chains could benefit from a better algorithm and then the market will decide where to move the value.

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
Luciddd

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:36:26 AM

OP is mad he can't get rich easy, now wants to kill off all the people who worked hard and spent a lot of money into ASIC mining..

Um what?

Just no, take your greedy ass some where else.

atariguy

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:48:20 AM

It's not.
atariguy

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:55:24 AM

Did you guys see this related Poll?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233420.0

it looks most people REALLY DON'T THINK SO!  65 Votes so far... I guess that is a pretty sizeable sample for BT

The existence of the poll just shows that people don't know what they're talking about.
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 03:03:14 AM

Bitcoin cannot change hashing algorithms without a 'fork' as the current miners would never go for it.  But new chains could benefit from a better algorithm and then the market will decide where to move the value.

Forking the blockchain like this would kill bitcoin at this point.

I know I would take all my money out of it.

Imagine you go to a store that accepts bitcoin only to find you are using the "wrong bitcoin".

If you hate the hashing algorithm so much, create an alt coin. Oh wait, there is already Litecoin and it's dying, lol.

I'm sorry you didn't think to order an ASIC early enough but all the butthurt GPU miners in the world are not going to be able to change Bitcoin's hashing algorithm.

And if bitcoin really did start using scrypt, people would just make ASICs to mine that way.

ASICs are a GOOD thing for bitcoin.
Kyune

Activity: 287

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:09:59 AM

If you want to explore the benefits, issues and complications that arise with using scrypt-jane as the hashing algorithm, one place to look is the two active alt-coins currently doing so:

1) Yacoin, launched May 8.  See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=196196.0 and https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=206577.0
2) Onecoin, launched yesterday.  See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=200177.0

BTC:  1K4VpdQXQhgmTmq68rbWhybvoRcyNHKyVP
Insu Dra

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:13:41 AM

Just let thread die, even if sha256 would be completely broken ... we would not have the hashing power required to takeover the chain with a new algorithm.

"drugs, guns, and gambling for anyone and everyone!"
Pangia

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:17:47 AM

Can someone please provide a link to where you can purchase an ASIC for $649?
Thanks in advance.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║