Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:34:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bitcoin will be bigger than The Bible  (Read 5027 times)
Torminalis (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 11:32:21 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2011, 11:50:48 PM by Torminalis

This thread has been intentionally titled to raise some eyebrows but I shall explain the reasoning behind the statement and hope to convince you that what I say is in fact true. There is enough negative rubbish around here so I thought I would do something to redress the balance.

It was Margaret Thatcher that claimed that there is no such thing as Society and she was talking nonsense. We are all distinct but collectively we are more, much more. We have been able to collaborate and compete with one another through endless generations to elevate humanity beyond a mere collection of self serving individuals. The human brain is widely acknowledged to be the most complex structure in the known universe but it is small fry compared to billions of them all fizzing away on this little planet. 7 billion heads are better than one as they say.

All these brains have lots of individual challenges to overcome but in an overcrowded world it is the collective challenges that are increasingly urgent. Society is required to ensure that we can normalise with our fellow man, identify the biggest challenges and work on them together. It is not a dog eat dog world. Competition is not the rule as many would have you believe, cooperation is a much more powerful force by far. Dogs don't eat each other if they can help it, they evolve pack instincts and respect for the territory of others.

In the same way that dogs have evolved rules, so have we. Not all of us are nice but it is interesting to note that as a society we are bad enough to need rules but good enough to implment them. The diversity of our species ensures that there is plenty of room for conflict and general disagreement and to resolve this we need to apply rules. Religion offered guidance on the best practices to ensure a reasonably trouble free and painless life but things have got a little more comple that that. It seems as a species that we may in fact have gone a bit overboard with the rules, or at least it did when I came across the Korean directives on free trade of cabbages.

Money is what makes the world go round. Like it or not, it is the truth. Most of our trade is tightly controlled, groups of important men make decisions in our best interests. They make rules on how money should de distributed about, which country we should attack in defense of our interests, what level of rights to afford individuals and all of the other stuff that we need government to decide upon. The trouble is, the most valuable assets are the people who make the rules, they can punish their enemies, reward their friends and supress all challenges to their authority. The fact that a relatively small group of people can wield so much power represents a single point of failure. A system is only as strong as its weakest element and the greatest challenge to Society today is to find a way to eliminate weaknesses in our systems of governance and ensure a fairer deal for everyone.

The reason that I think Bitcoin may be bigger than the Bible is because it represents a shift in the way that we organise ourselves. It shows us what we can really do to leverage the power of the internet. Bitcoin has solved old riddles and will be ancestor to a thousand ideas in the future. It beautifully expresses the solution to a problem that has vexed mankind for as long as we can remember and gives us the confidence to ponder just how far we can go. Never before has it felt so possible that we can lift ourselves from servitude and assert our collective power. Bitcoin or one of its offspring will be the rules of exchange, encoded immutably into the fabric of our society, it will be the collective consciousness of the world, branching, merging, collaborating and competing to better itself, for us.

The genie is out of the bottle and I for one am more optimistic about our future than I ever have been.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TKE406

Activity: 49

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:06:48 AM

Seems like we have a disciple of Rousseau on our hands

FRENCHMAN! KILL IT WITH FIRE!
tanerlorn

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:18:13 AM

Well said OP, I'd have to agree with you a lot there.

Keep in mind the Bible was always meant to keep hands in the power of the elite class, at the time being the priests.

Now their method of control is much more subtle, its the media, the wide reaching power it has, that controls us. Therefore the only chance for bitcoin to succeed is for it to become part of the media, but outside of its control. This can happen because not only is TV, movies media, but people are as well. We are the sum of our media programming or lack thereof, so the more people who believe in the bitcoin concept and share that with their neighbors, the better chance we have.
chuckypalumbo

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:30:07 AM

I love bitcoins, and the popularity will continue to go through the roof. If you haven't signed up to buy and sell bitcoins on exchange do it while the prices are still low and stable! Click either of the referral links below to get started!
NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:46:52 AM

you couldnt pick on the Koran could you.
people always pick on the pacifists, its a no risk ego booster
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:50:08 AM

you couldnt pick on the Koran could you.
people always pick on the pacifists, its a no risk ego booster

pacifists?  LOL

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
clint25n

Activity: 840
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:57:58 AM

Wink I'm glad to see you are enthusiastic about bitcoins. However, seeing that the Bible has been well known by billions of people through many many generations for the last couple of millennia, and bitcoin has been known by tens of thousands for the past couple years.. I'd say that's not likely.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 01:04:24 AM

Great thread title!

Bitcoin is the biggest threat to the pharisees, moneychangers, priests, and kings since Rabbi Jesus the Christ started up his little cult of heretics.

Stuff, in order of importance:

1. Big Bang
2. Bitcoin
3. Sex (tie)
3. Beer (tie)
4. Fire
5. Wheel
6. Internet (tie)
6. Nutella (tie)

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
clint25n

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:09:39 AM

Great thread title!

Bitcoin is the biggest threat to the pharisees, moneychangers, priests, and kings since Rabbi Jesus the Christ started up his little cult of heretics.

1. Big Bang
2. Bitcoin
3. Sex (tie)
3. Beer (tie)
4. Fire
5. Wheel
6. Internet (tie)
6. Nutella (tie)

I suppose I could understand that coming from someone who enjoys bitcoins more than sex Grin and believes that everything came from nothing.
chuckypalumbo

Activity: 148

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:12:57 AM

Great thread title!

1. Big Bang
2. Bitcoin
3. Sex (tie)
3. Beer (tie)
4. Fire
5. Wheel
6. Internet (tie)
6. Nutella (tie)

You better switch 2 and 3 Wink
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:22:21 AM

Harry Potter is bigger than the Bible. Just saying.
And I think the 6th book was longer too.

And it's sold more copies worldwide.

Sell everything, invest in white messenger owls and magic wands.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
flug

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:51:04 AM

Great post!
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:59:55 AM

Wow. Bi-polar much?

Last week you were all pissing and moaning how bitcoins were going to zero due to the MTGOX fiasco.

Now its "bigger than the bible"?

Kind a ironic, since the bible tells you bitcoins are good. What took you so long???

Proverbs 25:28
He who has no rule over his own spirit is like a broken down city without a wall. (Anti-FED, anti-bankster)

Proverbs 13:11
Wealth obtained by fraud dwindles, but the one who gathers by labor increases it. (Bitcoin Mining  ;^)  )

Ecclesiastes 11:2
Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth. (Diversify)

Exodus 22:25
If you lend money to My people, to the poor among you, you are not to act as a creditor to him; you shall not charge him interest. (interest free bitcoin loans).

Matthew 5:42
Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you. (Lending means growth)

Proverbs 15:22
Without consultation, plans are frustrated, but with many counselors they succeed. (Open-source effort)

Psalm 35:27
Let them shout for joy and rejoice, who favor my vindication; and let them say continually, “The Lord be magnified, who delights in the prosperity of His servant.” (God wants people to prosper)

1 Cor 16:2
“On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come.” (Don't sell all your bitcoins)

Proverbs 22:29
Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will stand before kings; he will not stand before obscure men. (Bitcoin, the work of skilled men, is standing up well against the US dollar.)

What does Harry Potter have to say about Bitcoin or finance? Huh? Just sayin.
clint25n

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 02:03:43 AM

Harry Potter is bigger than the Bible. Just saying.
And I think the 6th book was longer too.

And it's sold more copies worldwide.

Sell everything, invest in white messenger owls and magic wands.

A refrigerator is bigger than the Bible too? But I rather have the Bible on my shelf  Grin
Coma

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 02:04:05 AM

So if Bitcoin beats the bible I think the ranking would be something like this.

1. Music
2. Spork
3. L shapped tetris piece
4. Bitcoin
5. Bible
6. Fork
7. Onion rings
8. Movies
9. Spoon
10. Virtual Boy

Right?
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 02:06:35 AM

1. Music
2. Spork
4. Bitcoin
5. Bible
6. Fork
7. Onion rings
8. Movies
9. Spoon
10. Virtual Boy

Right?

No, no.

Sliced bread always takes #1 spot.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 02:57:38 AM

Great thread title!

1. Big Bang
2. Bitcoin
3. Sex (tie)
3. Beer (tie)
4. Fire
5. Wheel
6. Internet (tie)
6. Nutella (tie)

I suppose I could understand that coming from someone who enjoys bitcoins more than sex Grin and believes that everything came from nothing.

Oh I see, you're laboring under the illusion that separateness exists (outside of conceptual metaphor) and that in reality, the universe is not a unified field.   Roll Eyes

Good luck with that superstitious misapplication of pagan/Manichean spiritual concepts to real world. 

I for one, wouldn't fly in any airplanes built using "Biblically correct engineering" or live near a nuke plant designed using "Christian quantum physics."   Shocked

Godless empiricism for me, thanks.

Is this your list?

1. The All Father (tie)
1. The Son (tie)
1. The Holy Spirit (tie)
2. Mary Mother of God (tie)
2. Moses The Prophet (tie)
2. Abraham The Patriarch (tie)
3. The Pope of Rome (tie)
3. The Archbishop of Canterbury (tie)
3. The Grand Mullah Herpaderp of Mecca (tie)
4. The Bitcoin of EnterWebs

That's such a busy *PANTHEON* of Gods and minor Deities, there's hardly room for Bitcoin.  And what about the Vegas wife?   Undecided

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
fxgmblr

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:02:10 AM

bitcoin has the potential to put PayPal, Visa, Mastercard, Amex etc out of business.
not likely but very possible to take out PayPal first.
tanerlorn

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:36:36 AM

Just because the bible is full of a lot of crap doesn't mean that guy jesus wasn't on to something when he said "treat others how you wanna be treated"

and doesnt mean many of his ideas were wrong, including a lot of stuff that was left out of the bible (reincarnation, for instance)

just because organized religion is clearly a program doesn't mean we arent spiritual beings...i feel i have a soul, and i believe there is a creator of that soul, a being who i am eternally grateful towards. that being is NOT the same as the jehovah of the bible though, as should be clear to anyone whos actually read the thing.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 03:45:47 AM

1. Music
2. Spork
4. Bitcoin
5. Bible
6. Fork
7. Onion rings
8. Movies
9. Spoon
10. Virtual Boy

Right?

No, no.

Sliced bread always takes #1 spot.

What did people say was the greatest invention since sliced bread before sliced bread was invented? No Google Cheating. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22greatest+invention+since+the+alphabet%22#q=%22greatest+invention+since%22&hl=en&authuser=0&tbm=bks&source=lnt&tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:1800,cd_max:1899&sa=X&ei=tU8JToj3BIXFsQKAy8zXAQ&ved=0CBsQpwUoAw&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=553b940824a9eec4&biw=1280&bih=685

The greatest invention since the alphabet was that of movable wooden types, made in 1436 by John Gutenberg, of Mayence. The idea was original with him, though such types had been used for centuries in China; but the manner in which that ...

From: http://books.google.com/books?id=YyLVAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA398&dq=%22greatest+invention+since+the+alphabet%22&hl=en&ei=WE8JTrueL6OlsAL5uICsAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22greatest%20invention%20since%20the%20alphabet%22&f=false

BTW, it took several years, between the initial invention and a national marketing campaign, before sliced bread went viral. Bitcoins needs a Wonder moment. Perhaps a call to the internet marketing gurus is in order to cook up a Subservient Chicken.

SAT Question: Wordpress is to movable type as bitcoins are to ?

...and more food for thought: ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread

I should like to let you know how important sliced bread is to the morale and saneness of a household. My husband and four children are all in a rush during and after breakfast. Without ready-sliced bread I must do the slicing for toast—two pieces for each one—that's ten. For their lunches I must cut by hand at least twenty slices, for two sandwiches apiece. Afterward I make my own toast. Twenty-two slices of bread to be cut in a hurry!

Bitcoin's next major step should be the development of a "simple-for-grandma" app.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: