Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:39:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bitcoin will be bigger than The Bible  (Read 5036 times)
dennis_sweden

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 09:34:30 PM

I disagree with the premise that Bitcoins "represents a shift in the way that we organise ourselves". The internet has allowed many new channels in which people can organise themselves, and leveraged new power to internet users. However, there is no "shift"; some Bitcoin users share the ideology of a "money" that is not controlled by the financial elite, whereas some want to make money. Neither of these concepts are new, so the reasons for organising have not changed. Nor has the way people organise themselves changed, i.e. spreading the word, opening up forums were discussions can be held etc. So the only thing that has changed is the mechanism of the "money" and the venue were interested parties enter into dialogue and exchange "money".

As to important men making decisions in our best interests and making rules on how money should be distributed; I cannot remember whether it was Plato or Aristotle who said that laws are enacted once wealth in society is unequally shared, and that the more uneven the share is, the more number of laws are enacted.

Bitcoins can, at best, be a means for executing exchanges of goods and services; the Bible sets rules for society in many spheres of life.
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 09:46:14 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2011, 10:01:27 PM by foggyb

And truly this world is so remarkable, that one should really think someone must have invented this Wink But I believe in randomness (I solo mine also harhar). With that many stars and galaxies out there, it had to happen. We are the lotto jackpot times a million.

.........give it time and randomness and it will strengthen the system.

In reference to the universe:

You say, *it had to happen* (meaning the odds were there all along) but literally the next thing you say is, *we hit the jackpot* (meaning we got lucky).

Don't be double-minded. You don't win the lotto and say *i was bound to win it, the odds were there*.

The odds against the universe existing as it does, and earth to evolve into a planet with all the conditions necessary to support life, are well beyond "hitting the jackpot". The odds have been worked out: its like hitting the jackpot - *EVERY* day - 100 days in a row.

The odds against are well beyond the scientific standard for ridiculous (10 to the 50th power). The number is so gigantic, it is bigger than the number of seconds in 5 billion years, the supposed life of the our universe. 5 billion years = 1.5778463 × 10^17 seconds. It doesn't matter how much time and randomness you throw into the mix. It can't happen. PERIOD.

Randomness is the total absence of information. Randomness by definition leads only to chaos.

If probability and randomness did not function in a predictable manner, Bitcoin would fall apart. It depends on the laws of the universe to function.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 11:44:16 PM

Bitcoin is bigger than Jesus!

It's okay, you can say that on this forum.
clint25n

Activity: 840
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 03:33:31 AM

Interesting logic, since if it weren't for Jesus, bitcoin wouldn't exist.  Cheesy
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 04:20:41 AM

Bitcoin is an illusion.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 04:22:25 AM

Bitcoin is an illusion.

so is Jesus

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 02:56:20 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2011, 10:48:58 AM by iCEBREAKER

Oh I see, you're laboring under the illusion that separateness exists (outside of conceptual metaphor) and that in reality, the universe is not a unified field.   Roll Eyes

Good luck with that superstitious misapplication of pagan/Manichean spiritual concepts to real world.  

I for one, wouldn't fly in any airplanes built using "Biblically correct engineering" or live near a nuke plant designed using "Christian quantum physics."   Shocked

Godless empiricism for me, thanks.

No, logical tells me that nothing can only create nothing. We now know that the universe is not eternally old. If it exists, it wasn't created by nothingness. My guess is only something that could break the law of conservation of energy could have brought our universe into existance. That eliminates the big bang and brings about serious flaws with your unified field theory.

Though I'm hoping this wouldn't turn into some religious/atheism debate, you do realize that the atheistic worldview is riddled with physiological issues, logical fallacies and inconsistencies. So I wouldn't start such a fight when standing on such weak ground myself.

Your main flawed assumption is that I claimed that "nothing" existed before the big bang.  A good undergraduate astronomy class (or PBS special) can easily explain the fact that the big bang was the result of a symmetry collapse, where the grand unified force splintered into light, gravity, time, and Bitcoins (the Four Fundamental Forces).

Since time and perhaps causality began as a result of the big bang symmetry collapse, we may not be able to tell much about previous universes.  

But that doesn't mean scientists claim 'sumptin' came from 'nuttin.'  

Arguing about whether 'sumptin' can come from 'nuttin' is a perennial favorite discussion popular with the hick beer-can philosophers and slack-jawed yokels I grew up with, but not the scientists in my current peer group.  

They think that the best most winning catch-all put down of science, empiricism, and modern cosmology is to herp, derp, and declare with all the certainty in the world that 'SUMPTIN CAIN'T COME FROM NUTTIN!!!1!"

It's cute.  Too bad they'll never appreciate the elegance and beauty of what the COBE background radiation and Hubbell's law are showing, to those of us with eyes open enough to see.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_cosmology

Physical cosmology, as a branch of astronomy, is the study of the largest-scale structures and dynamics of the universe and is concerned with fundamental questions about its formation and evolution.

For most of human history, it was a branch of metaphysics and religion. Cosmology as a science originated with the Copernican principle, which implies that celestial bodies obey identical physical laws to those on Earth, and Newtonian mechanics, which first allowed us to understand those laws.

Physical cosmology, as it is now understood, began with the twentieth century development of Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity and better astronomical observations of extremely distant objects. These advances made it possible to speculate about the origin of the universe, and allowed scientists to establish the Big Bang Theory as the leading cosmological model. Some researchers still advocate a handful of alternative cosmologies; however, cosmologists generally agree that the Big Bang theory best explains observations.

Cosmology draws heavily on the work of many disparate areas of research in physics. Areas relevant to cosmology include particle physics experiments and theory, including string theory, astrophysics, general relativity, and plasma physics. Thus, cosmology unites the physics of the largest structures in the universe with the physics of the smallest structures in the universe.

Oh well, you can pick your nose but not your family....

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
befuddled

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 06:51:28 AM
Last edit: June 30, 2011, 07:25:18 AM by befuddled

doesn't mean that room or its contents don't exist.

Agreed. The universe exists. I didn't assert otherwise. There can't be anything that created the universe. If something exists, it's part of the universe by definition. If it's not part of the universe, existence is not what it has.

atheists cannot account for objective morality (without a moral law giver).

Disagree. The notion of a lawgiver does not produce an objective morality. It produces a subjective morality. The subject is a supernatural one. But still subjective. If the lawgiver says knife your kid to prove your loyalty, or slaughter the other tribe, that's moral. Why? Because he says it is.

Knowledge of virtue and vice is a species of knowlege. The only means humans have of gaining knowledge is reason. Secular, rational morality has a long proud tradition going back to the incredible scholarship of classical helenism with Socrates, Epicurus, through to the stoics, Spinoza and through to Rand's Objectivism. This is the only kind of morality that can be objective.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 12:43:24 PM

1. The next "best thing" after sliced bread was wheeled luggage.

2. The best thing since wheeled luggage is Bitcoin.

3. It's getting close:

(blue = "bitcoin", red = "the bible")
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: