Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:44:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Art contest: win some BTC, shape the visual future of Bitcoin gaming.  (Read 5868 times)
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 04:48:44 PM

S.MG is looking for a splash screen for its flagship game.

What you've got to work with: 2048×1536 pixels, medieval setting (so none of that outer space future tech stuff), two weeks. Details here.

(x-posted to Project Development)

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:46:07 PM

Bump. No talent at all in this community?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
moltenmich

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 01:37:43 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2013, 01:59:33 AM by moltenmich

Of course there is talent!  Cheesy  

I checked this out earlier. My problem is that I'm guilty of breaking my own personal rule of not participating in art/design contests in this forum already. I rationalized it because I'm just really excited about BTC and want to involve myself in the community as much as possible. But I'm closing in on not working spec anymore and even plan on writing a post in the service discussion forum about a better way to crowdsource. This is a spec competition that isn't even hosted on the forum, has very vague directions, and isn't clear about end dates. Way too risky to spend time on it even if I was totally ok with doing spec work. It could be a really awesome project to work on! I just don't have enough info about it to even consider it.

I think this community would benefit greatly by ditching the competition model and moving to a portfolio review/ split prize model.

Example: Instead of offering 2.0 for the "winning submission" offer .5 but require that people send portfolios and then choose 3 people to do the job. You pay all three for their work. Then, when you choose one you like the best, you can ask the 'winning designer' to edit their design 2-3 more times for an additional .5.

You essentially pay the same thing (2 BTC), but you have a less risky result, you've benefited more designers/artists, and you have an opportunity to work with one designer/artist in depth and have a possible future partnership. You also have worked with the creative community in good faith, and keep the other contacts in case you have a job that requires a style more suited to one of the other guys. It's less risky for the designer, so they will spend more time on their work. Results will improve, and designers can actually collaborate more easily without feeling like they are engaging in cutthroat competition.

█ Professional Design & Multimedia █

michpalmer.com
Xqisit

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:12:20 AM

Exactly what Molten said.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:14:01 AM

Here you go.

junglist.massive

Activity: 759
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:29:54 AM

seems legit
greyhawk

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 01:52:46 PM

seems legit

Thank you. I also made a Sci-Fi version should you want to got that route after all.

MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:09:40 PM

What are you people, French?

When I say talent I don't mean sitting around all day talking about "how things should be". That isn't talent, importantly. Even more importantly, that isn't useful. Nor is it valuable. Nor is it in fact welcome, outside of the society of idiots and the confederacy of dunces.

Now let's go into details:

Compare and contrast with:

32. What happened to the cute little unicorn!]
 *Poof*. Initially I thought adding a few vignettes might be a nice way to showcase community talent and funnel some coins from the rich fat cat to the starving artist, but alas there wasn't much in the way of talent to showcase. Maybe in time.

That happened last year. The very untalented, exceedingly verbose Bitcoin community of the time proved itself unable to provide three 155px by 68px bits of line art. (Coherence with today's "Bitcoin community" is extremely low, obviously. The average lifespan of a Bitcoin communitard being what, six to nine months.)

Also compare and contrast with the 10 BTC Photoshop contest coupla months ago.

So, when I say what I say I have something I'm basing myself on. When you say what you say you're basing yourself on what, your inner feeling that you in fact are talented? You're not talented, because if you were you'd be working. Hard to digest, perhaps, but if you can take the time to type out that post of yours but won't take the time to prove your talent you are in fact an untalented if verbose hack, and you know this.

It could be a really awesome project to work on! I just don't have enough info about it to even consider it.

It actually is a really awesome project to work on. That you hesitate and then paint that hesitation in terms of "not enough info" could be construed to mean one of two and only two things.

Thing number A: You are more willing to write than you are willing to read, and as such you've not read:

ThickAsThieves Tying the splash design, to the name, to potentially (i assume) the entire concept definition is a large bet.
mircea_popescu It is. It’s there to signify exactly how open this shit is. The artist can run with it. I mean it. I let him name it, it’s a symbol of creative control. I want it to be that.

which is a pity, as it's in the original article.

Thing number 2: You are not an artist, which means to say you're able to execute if someone else is telling you what to do, but you yourself have no inspiration, no vision and nothing actually creative to contribute. This is fine, nobody is required to be special or relevant, but it also means that there's no talent involved.

Example: Instead of offering 2.0 for the "winning submission" offer .5 but require that people send portfolios and then choose 3 people to do the job. You pay all three for their work. Then, when you choose one you like the best, you can ask the 'winning designer' to edit their design 2-3 more times for an additional .5.

Yes, this is how the poor but numerous view the world, no different really from the celebrated "if BitBet was paying users even more then we would make more Bitcoin!!!". It just so happens that being involved in this "wonderful community" etc gives you a direct link to the rich and successful, and here's how they view your thinking there: "could you transform this grand opportunity for the talented into a doling out to the untalented? instead of something based on achievement could we have a little nibble based on simple existence?".

The answer, in short, is no. No you cannot. It is true that the welfarist governments have turned the existence of a few special select few into this fictitious world whereby you get a little bread and a little juice just for existing, but we are currently working at dismantling all that. This is in fact what Bitcoin is for: making it so that it's impossible for a select few to get "social benefits" at the expense of the hard working, the rich and the successful.

The fact of the matter is that most people don't have enough skill, enough ability and most importantly enough inclination to work (usefully!) so as to justify their consumption. The future for these people, which prophetically self-identified as "the 99%" recently, is starvation. If you think unemployment is bad now....

On the other side of the planet, you can't insulate yourself from risks. Being part of a start-up is being part of a start-up, you can't play 9 to 5 office on one end and then cash in like an entrepreneur on the other end. You don't get the benefit of signing your name on tomorrow's megafranchise without putting a lot of your work at risk. Joanne Rowling pitched her book to almost one hundred publishers over years before being accepted, on a very tight contract. You're more than welcome to wait for someone to pay you a generous salary a year in advance and then make you famous, but if you hold your breath for it you'll die. And if you don't hold your breath for it you'll get sick of Ramen sooner or later.

So to sum up my message to the starving, unknown artist: You can't wait out money. Money waits you out. Money doesn't need to eat, and money doesn't give a shit. Either you have talent, in which case you slave away (literally, I do mean slave away, twenty-two hours a day for weeks and weeks) to make the most of this wondrous, splendid opportunity or else you have no talent, no purpose and aren't welcome in the world. And I do mean it, generally, the world. Even the birds shit on you, because they don't like you down there.

That's about it.

Here you go.

Boss sez, "well he's an idiot but at least he did something, so pay him .1337 to make the point to the other idiots that are also vocal about how lazy they are".

So, post an addy.

Peter Lambert

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:27:16 PM

I checked this out earlier. My problem is that I'm guilty of breaking my own personal rule of not participating in art/design contests in this forum already. I rationalized it because I'm just really excited about BTC and want to involve myself in the community as much as possible. But I'm closing in on not working spec anymore and even plan on writing a post in the service discussion forum about a better way to crowdsource. This is a spec competition that isn't even hosted on the forum, has very vague directions, and isn't clear about end dates. Way too risky to spend time on it even if I was totally ok with doing spec work. It could be a really awesome project to work on! I just don't have enough info about it to even consider it.

I think this community would benefit greatly by ditching the competition model and moving to a portfolio review/ split prize model.

On IRC, MP said that S.MG will have a bottomless need for more artwork to create their games. If you approach this as a job interview rather than a competition to make a quick buck then you might see the utility of entering an example of your work.

"isn't even hosted on the forum" - I think that should count as a positive

"has very vague directions" - They seem pretty clear to me, you just have alot of leeway within the specifications.

to mean one of two and only two things.  Thing number A: ...  Thing number 2: ...

Lol.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
moltenmich

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 05:20:30 PM

if you can take the time to type out that post of yours but won't take the time to prove your talent you are in fact an untalented if verbose hack, and you know this.

I have no need to prove my talent to someone who conducts themselves in this manner. Insult me all you want, the portfolio model is not dolling out money to the masses. It is not welfare. They are all doing work and you own the rights to that work once it's finished. You can even take elements of one design and incorporate them into another.  It is a better way of working in this community. And you get more for your money if you do it right. Your boss must have dealt with some pretty lame people offering lackluster creative services judging by his and your 'tude. Sorry for the bad experience. No excuse to act elitist tho.

█ Professional Design & Multimedia █

michpalmer.com
greyhawk

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:46:50 PM

Here you go.

Boss sez, "well he's an idiot but at least he did something, so pay him .1337 to make the point to the other idiots that are also vocal about how lazy they are".

So, post an addy.

Does that mean, I won? Yay.  Cheesy Addy is in the sig.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:50:41 PM

Here you go.

So, post an addy.

I can make something similar in quality to Greyhawk's work if you're interested  Grin
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 05:54:49 PM

Is it bad that I've been laughing at this whole thread? Tongue Seriously though, no artist worth the money is going to go out of there way to make you an extremely nice and detailed drawing for only the 'chance' to win some money what was ever wrong with asking for a portfolio and then picking someone based on that work like you do with any other art based job?
greyhawk

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:58:55 PM

Here you go.

So, post an addy.

I can make something similar in quality to Greyhawk's work if you're interested  Grin

Please don't steal my peculiar art style.  Sad
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:59:36 PM

Here you go.

So, post an addy.

Does that mean, I won? Yay.  Cheesy Addy is in the sig.

I can make something similar in quality to Greyhawk's work if you're interested  Grin

Please don't steal my peculiar art style.  Sad

I said similar in quality, not style Wink

But I guess everyone knows I'm just bragging ... Sad
greyhawk

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:02:05 PM

Here you go.

So, post an addy.

Does that mean, I won? Yay.  Cheesy Addy is in the sig.

I can make something similar in quality to Greyhawk's work if you're interested  Grin

Please don't steal my peculiar art style.  Sad

I said similar in quality, not style Wink

But I guess everyone knows I'm just bragging ... Sad

Imma pay you 50 % of my artists wages for your interpretation of "Dragonne Slayers: The Fantastic Fantasy Game"
Peter Lambert

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:17:09 PM

Is it bad that I've been laughing at this whole thread? Tongue Seriously though, no artist worth the money is going to go out of there way to make you an extremely nice and detailed drawing for only the 'chance' to win some money what was ever wrong with asking for a portfolio and then picking someone based on that work like you do with any other art based job?

If you have not figured it out yet, he is asking for a portfolio of 1 sample. People who have talent will be hired for more projects down the line.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
greyhawk

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:19:38 PM

If you have not figured it out yet, he is asking for a portfolio of 1 sample. People who have talent will be hired for more projects down the line.

That's the funny thing. Anything "an artist" would have to do is take whatever fantasy-y thing he has in his portfolio, crop it to the requested dimension and - bingo - you've got a valid entry. Then see how things go from there.
greyhawk

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:30:08 PM

Heck, let me do it again.

*grab photo taken on a recent hike*
*slap on a background with right dimension*
*add a title*

Done. 2 Minutes (I needed to find a fitting font). Also Imgur upload was slow.

Does it suck? Most certainly.

Is it better than anything else posted yet? Absolutely.

MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 08:53:31 PM

Why oh why didn't I see that one coming.

Let's do it like this: now that the "there is money" point has been proven, people get busy on proving the other two points left ("there is talent" and "can follow instructions"). Trifecta!

By this reasoning "no coder worth the money is ever going to make an extremely detailed project on the hopes of winning". Except they do. That's what the better coders do, and whenever some coder wants to be hired on a salary the first point in anyone's mind is "so he doesn't think he's good enough to start-up".

Really, it's 2013, time to split the artists from the wanna-bes.

In case he hasn't figured it out yet, anyone can be a dog on the internet, complete with a portfolio of art "they" made. People who actually hire know this, people who never get hired apparently have no idea.

Does it suck? Most certainly.

Is it better than anything else posted yet? Absolutely.

Does it sink in slower than obsidian in honey? Definitely.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: