Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:53:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Airdropping – a new cryptocurrency trend  (Read 766 times)
ershov776 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:40:45 AM

What is airdropping?

Simply put, airdropping is a free coins or tokens distribution. Use of this technology is possible both during the ICO and after its completion. The main criteria of getting free tokens are a positive wallet balance and possession of the keys from it. If the funds are on an exchange (such as Coinbase or Kraken) there is a very high chance that you will not be able to obtain tokens. The reason is that most exchanges keep your funds in the inner wallets and very often offline in cold wallets. The format of the token distribution is the following: in the pre-announced time a "snapshot" of the blockchain is published, and any Ether holder, meeting distribution criteria receives his share from the free tokens. The amount is distributed in proportion to the wallet balance. The greater the wallet balance is, the more you get.

The companies’ experience

What famous companies have already used the airdropping technology? One of the latest and clearest examples is Indorse , which announced free distribution of 65,000 IND tokens to the holders of TenX (PAY), Digix (DGD), CoinDash(CDT) and 0x (ZRX) tokens. Ethereum addresses which have less than 3000 and more than 0.01 Ether will receive it for not to send tokens to non-active or exchange accounts. The campaign provides a double bonus, a user needs to visit the official Indorse site and register an account. David Moskowitz, Indorse co-founder, said: "Choosing these communities for our tokens distribution, we guarantee wide dissemination and tokens transfer to the wallets of the most active Etherium tokens owners. Our ecosystem is thriving due to the active participants, so they will get financial reward in the form of IND token".

Indorse collaborations are met with huge support from the developers. Adam Efrima, CoinDash director shared: "IND Token will be added to CoinDash ecosystem in the near future, so that our users will be able to manage another asset in CoinDash.”

In early September, their airdropping has started and here are the results they have achieved. On the official Indorse website they’ve published information that fee has been 27 422 Ether, which is around $ 9 million. Of course this figure indicates remarkable success of the company, despite the fact that according to the Medium, distribution covered only 1800 unique accounts. Such results will not go unnoticed by the community; in the near future we will see some attempts to launch similar PR campaigns.

Another example is the upcoming airdrop of OmiseGo – a young cryptocurrency project by Asian payment operator Omise, specializing in domestic and cross-border remittances. According to the company’s blog 5% of all OMG will be sent to Ethereum wallets, which contained more than 0.1 ETH on a definite block. The intended addresses cover is more than 450 000! The launch was scheduled for the 4th of September, but has been postponed repeatedly. In the end, on the 24th of September, on their Twitter, OmiseGo reported the successful attempt with the help of Vitalik Buterin, who wrote the adapted smart contracts for the distribution on such a vast basis. Totally there were 5242 transactions on 36090 blocks to send 7012 269,91226 OMG to more than 460 000 people.

We can also highlight the ambitious project Cryptonex (CNX) that is a global blockchain acquiring. Its ICO ended on September 30. Due to airdropping, during the ICO period the company managed to collect over $17 million. More than 5000 addresses received bonus tokens, and the airdrop took about two weeks. This is the only Russian company, which has adopted foreign colleagues’ experience and openly shared their financial and technical results. Such events are a great way to introduce a cryptocurrency and to involve new people in crypto industry. Trond Vidar Bjorøy, the head of Scandinavian company ATPI production and implement, believes that: "companies are airdropping not because they are good guys. It's all a part of the elegant PR plan that will increase token value. Airdropping is not only advertising, but it’s also a way of token price increase. The effect of ownership suggests that people tend to appreciate more the things they possess. In the case of OmiseGO, half a million people will begin to consider OmiseGO more valuable than other tokens simply because they had become their owners. Many will continue to accumulate the currency, because they will feel like investors. Some owners will decide to reach round numbers, and some others will prefer to avoid the risk of purchasing unknown currencies".

How to launch airdropping?

Suppose you're a developer and owner of your own coin or token and want to start airdropping. How to do it?
The process can be divided into several stages:

1. The aim and airdropping type.

Depending on the stage of the project development and the goals, one must determine what to distribute: free tokens of the main contract, the "bonus tokens" as a reward when buying the basic token, or the token giving a discount for the coins purchase. We’ve chosen the following tactics: we send 1000 CNX, a user gets it as a bonus when purchasing 5000 CNX, and so the bonus is 20%.

2. Blockchain analysis. Identification of the target audience.
In the case of OmiseGo, the giant audience of 450 000 addresses was chosen. Our criteria are more segmented and the distribution conditions are different, so we assume the maximum coverage of 150 000 addresses, which is also a tremendous amount.

3. Smart contract creation and software writing.
If you plan to send tokens on the basis of a basic smart contract, then this possibility should be foreseen in advance.

4. Tokens distribution.

In case of Indorse, they sent out tokens to 1800 Ethereum addresses. According to our statistics, depending on the network load, our tokens are received by 1000 - 3000 addresses. The launch should be smooth and gain momentum gradually, to ensure that it is possible to get feedback and adjust distribution settings.

5. Efficiency track.
One can use Etherscan that shows information about all Ethereum transactions. Besides, there are some classical tools such as Google Analytics. Many questions are received from the tokens receivers on the forums, social networks, channels and groups. Due to the fact that the company finds time to answer most of the questions we get positive feedback from airdropping.

Despite seeming simplicity of these 5 steps implementation, there are a number of nuances, seriously hampering the process. Here are the key ones.
Etherium turnover capacity - nominal turnover capacity is 25 transactions per second, but it's the overall number of the entire network, and those transactions that have the greatest commission are sent. That’s why, on the basis of the budget, the maximum commission per transaction should be determined and some adjustments should be made during airdropping. It slightly reminds stakes control in contextual advertising. First of all, top priority transactions are placed on the block, and only then airdropping and other transactions with a lower commission by a residual principle. For this reason, it is impossible to carry out distribution to all the addresses in one day, even specifying maximum commission.
The transaction fee - the amount of the fee varies depending on the network load. It is influenced by many technical factors. The important thing is that you can achieve transaction fee in the form of 10-20 cents in the airdropping process and ensure new investments volume.
Team skills– the team should understand the blockchain operation principles, as well as have high programming and network skills for not to keep postponing airdropping.

The impact on the blockchain. Conclusion

We’ve introduced the technology allowing making a quality dialogue with private investors and gaining trust in the eyes of the tokens receivers with a relatively small financial cost. Any good project policy is that offering something useful to the [Suspicious link removed]munity, you gain trust and investment partners. Western experts believe that in the nearest future this technology will become a new PR trend. For this purpose there are some preconditions: the target audience coverage and many others, but, given the technical complexity and the nuances faced by the company, and considering  Ethereum  turnover capacity, transaction fees and severe requirements to the human resources needed for implementation, to the question: "Will airdropping become a new PR trend?", we answer "No". Will it keep developing and gain popularity in the cryptoworld? "Definitely yes!".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pathapoddo

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

CRYPTOCITIZEN $CCASH

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 12:44:31 PM

Yes, nowadays I also seen it that the project manager announce to give coin free.And it's call airdrops. I has become so popular. I like it.

⎔ CRYPTOCITIZEN ┇ RULE & EARN 【 $CCASH 】
MMO RPG METAVERSE ON BSC ┇ FIGHT  • •  DRAG RACE  • •  EARN
➥ TELEGRAM ➥ TWITTER ➥ TWITCH ➥ WEBSITE  • • 【 WEBSITE 】
wantjokull

Activity: 700
Merit: 275

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2017, 03:10:28 PM

Thats a good article for the airdrops. Got to know many new things from your read. :-)

Well know how they are free but never thought they need to do such sophisticated planning about it before they can drop it from the air. Obviously had little idea they might be juts putting xyz share from the whole tokens but this kind of steps are also necessary for its success. The tracking and managing it extensively makes the special way of advertising it. Nice read, thanks for the share.

▄▄██▄▄        ▄▄██▄▄
 ▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄
█████████████████████████████
▀▀██████████▀▀ ▀▀██████████▀▀
    ▀▀██▀▀         ▀▀██▀▀

███▄▄██████▄▄        ▄▄██████▄▄     ▄█▄       ▄█▄     ▄▄██████▄▄
██████▀▀▀▀████▄    ▄████▀▀▀▀████▄  ▀████▄   ▄████▀  ▄████▀▀▀▀████▄
████        ███▄  ▄███        ███▄   ▀████▄████▀   ▄███        ███▄
███          ███  ████████████████     ▀█████▀     ███          ███
███          ███  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▄███████▄    ███▄        ▄███
███          ███   ███▄▄            ▄████▀ ▀████▄   ███▄▄    ▄▄███
███          ███    ▀██████████    ▀███▀     ▀███▀   ▀██████████▀
▀▀▀          ▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀         ▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄       
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▄▄█▄▄   
▄▀▀  ▄▄▀▀      ▄▄▀▀   █ ▀▀▄
▄▀▄▄▀▀      ▄▄▀▀        █  ▀▄
█▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █                           █
█                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █                  ▄▀       █
█                  █   ██   █
    ▄▄▄▄▄  █                  ▀▄       █
█                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█                           █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
THE WORLD'S
FIRST INSTANT
CRYPTO LOANS
GET INSTANT CASH IN
40+FIAT
CURRENCIES

USING
CRYPTO  AS
COLLATERAL

atc1-REAL

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 03:19:08 PM

While your analysis about airdropping is correct, I must point out that airdropping is not a new concept. The first airdrop was that of Auroracoin in 2014, I believe, and airdropping coins has been happening since then. Just wanted to point that out. Apart from that, good writeup.
chiggz

Activity: 434
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:37:18 PM

Just found I had 25 POStokens from an airdrop I applied and totally forgot. Those coins total upto $23 which is basically free money. I feel ERC20 token airdrops are generally safe. But some tokens ask you to download wallets which you shouldn't since they can contain keyloggers and what not.
Okuzgozu

Activity: 710
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:41:46 PM

I really dont like airdrops cause it just makes wallets like a garbage and some of them even not worth transfer fee
tobs

Activity: 282
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:51:31 PM

I actually I start getting some random tokens to my ethereum wallet, even without applying for their airdropps. I think it can be considered some type of advertising, as after getting the token, the user will research what is that weird thing he got for free and if the project is interesting enough maybe he will join and stay for longer. However, I wonder how do they check which wallets are active, because they could basically send these tokens to dead and random wallets and I for sure haven't applied for any free coins.
mrtryonebiggums

Activity: 322
Merit: 111

Revolutionized Rotating Savings & Borrowings

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:17:14 PM

I really dont like airdrops cause it just makes wallets like a garbage and some of them even not worth transfer fee

It is a love hate thing but honestly if you never invested a cent into it how can you be upset that it is there? If it is worthwhile the transfer you make it and take the $$, if not you leave it and let the worthless free coins sit.

Really a win win if you do it correctly, much better method than ICOs imho.

asianjanedoe

Activity: 33

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:29:09 PM

I actually I start getting some random tokens to my ethereum wallet, even without applying for their airdropps. I think it can be considered some type of advertising, as after getting the token, the user will research what is that weird thing he got for free and if the project is interesting enough maybe he will join and stay for longer. However, I wonder how do they check which wallets are active, because they could basically send these tokens to dead and random wallets and I for sure haven't applied for any free coins.

This is actually making me want to hold Ethereum forever and never sell.
Let's keep getting free airdrops!
I'm very glad to be part of this trend.
bebtc

Activity: 29

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:47:52 PM

An airdrop is when free tokens of a particular cryptocurrency are given out to the community (read: early adopters). The purpose is to gain an early community of users who can get excited about your token/project and evangelize it for you.

Some examples of crypto airdrops in the past are listed here. No harm in getting some free tokens, but stay vigilant to prevent getting scammed. Never give out your passwords or private keys for anything, to anyone, for any reason (even if they promise BIG RETURNS at low risk). Also, before you start evangelizing a new token that you just got for free, think about whether you actually believe in the project (would you put your own money into it?) or are you just partaking in a multi-level marketing scheme.
usorin

Activity: 1134
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:48:10 PM

What is airdropping?

Simply put, airdropping is a free coins or tokens distribution. Use of this technology is possible both during the ICO and after its completion. The main criteria of getting free tokens are a positive wallet balance and possession of the keys from it. If the funds are on an exchange (such as Coinbase or Kraken) there is a very high chance that you will not be able to obtain tokens. The reason is that most exchanges keep your funds in the inner wallets and very often offline in cold wallets. The format of the token distribution is the following: in the pre-announced time a "snapshot" of the blockchain is published, and any Ether holder, meeting distribution criteria receives his share from the free tokens. The amount is distributed in proportion to the wallet balance. The greater the wallet balance is, the more you get.

What famous companies have already used the airdropping technology? One of the latest and clearest examples is Indorse , which announced free distribution of 65,000 IND tokens to the holders of TenX (PAY), Digix (DGD), CoinDash(CDT) and 0x (ZRX) tokens. Ethereum addresses which have less than 3000 and more than 0.01 Ether will receive it for not to send tokens to non-active or exchange accounts. The campaign provides a double bonus, a user needs to visit the official Indorse site and register an account. David Moskowitz, Indorse co-founder, said: "Choosing these communities for our tokens distribution, we guarantee wide dissemination and tokens transfer to the wallets of the most active Etherium tokens owners. Our ecosystem is thriving due to the active participants, so they will get financial reward in the form of IND token".

Your post it is welcomed. It clarifies the meaning of airdrops so, i just imagine that if a few years ago you could gain some crypto coins only thru mining or buying them, and now they are giveing it for free, could the next step be that we get payed to take some free coins??Wink good post again, congratulation.
chr.rit

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:42:07 PM

What is airdropping?

Indorse collaborations are met with huge support from the developers. Adam Efrima, CoinDash director shared: "IND Token will be added to CoinDash ecosystem in the near future, so that our users will be able to manage another asset in CoinDash.”

In early September, their airdropping has started and here are the results they have achieved. On the official Indorse website they’ve published information that fee has been 27 422 Ether, which is around $ 9 million. Of course this figure indicates remarkable success of the company, despite the fact that according to the Medium, distribution covered only 1800 unique accounts. Such results will not go unnoticed by the community; in the near future we will see some attempts to launch similar PR campaigns.

Another example is the upcoming airdrop of OmiseGo – a young cryptocurrency project by Asian payment operator Omise, specializing in domestic and cross-border remittances. According to the company’s blog 5% of all OMG will be sent to Ethereum wallets, which contained more than 0.1 ETH on a definite block. The intended addresses cover is more than 450 000! The launch was scheduled for the 4th of September, but has been postponed repeatedly. In the end, on the 24th of September, on their Twitter, OmiseGo reported the successful attempt with the help of Vitalik Buterin, who wrote the adapted smart contracts for the distribution on such a vast basis. Totally there were 5242 transactions on 36090 blocks to send 7012 269,91226 OMG to more than 460 000 people.

We can also highlight the ambitious project Cryptonex (CNX) that is a global blockchain acquiring. Its ICO ended on September 30. Due to airdropping, during the ICO period the company managed to collect over $17 million. More than 5000 addresses received bonus tokens, and the airdrop took about two weeks. This is the only Russian company, which has adopted foreign colleagues’ experience and openly shared their financial and technical results. Such events are a great way to introduce a cryptocurrency and to involve new people in crypto industry. Trond Vidar Bjorøy, the head of Scandinavian company ATPI production and implement, believes that: "companies are airdropping not because they are good guys. It's all a part of the elegant PR plan that will increase token value. Airdropping is not only advertising, but it’s also a way of token price increase. The effect of ownership suggests that people tend to appreciate more the things they possess. In the case of OmiseGO, half a million people will begin to consider OmiseGO more valuable than other tokens simply because they had become their owners. Many will continue to accumulate the currency, because they will feel like investors. Some owners will decide to reach round numbers, and some others will prefer to avoid the risk of purchasing unknown currencies".

How to launch airdropping?

Suppose you're a developer and owner of your own coin or token and want to start airdropping. How to do it?
The process can be divided into several stages:

1. The aim and airdropping type.

Depending on the stage of the project development and the goals, one must determine what to distribute: free tokens of the main contract, the "bonus tokens" as a reward when buying the basic token, or the token giving a discount for the coins purchase. We’ve chosen the following tactics: we send 1000 CNX, a user gets it as a bonus when purchasing 5000 CNX, and so the bonus is 20%.

2. Blockchain analysis. Identification of the target audience.
In the case of OmiseGo, the giant audience of 450 000 addresses was chosen. Our criteria are more segmented and the distribution conditions are different, so we assume the maximum coverage of 150 000 addresses, which is also a tremendous amount.

3. Smart contract creation and software writing.
If you plan to send tokens on the basis of a basic smart contract, then this possibility should be foreseen in advance.

4. Tokens distribution.

In case of Indorse, they sent out tokens to 1800 Ethereum addresses. According to our statistics, depending on the network load, our tokens are received by 1000 - 3000 addresses. The launch should be smooth and gain momentum gradually, to ensure that it is possible to get feedback and adjust distribution settings.

5. Efficiency track.
One can use Etherscan that shows information about all Ethereum transactions. Besides, there are some classical tools such as Google Analytics. Many questions are received from the tokens receivers on the forums, social networks, channels and groups. Due to the fact that the company finds time to answer most of the questions we get positive feedback from airdropping.

Despite seeming simplicity of these 5 steps implementation, there are a number of nuances, seriously hampering the process. Here are the key ones.
Etherium turnover capacity - nominal turnover capacity is 25 transactions per second, but it's the overall number of the entire network, and those transactions that have the greatest commission are sent. That’s why, on the basis of the budget, the maximum commission per transaction should be determined and some adjustments should be made during airdropping. It slightly reminds stakes control in contextual advertising. First of all, top priority transactions are placed on the block, and only then airdropping and other transactions with a lower commission by a residual principle. For this reason, it is impossible to carry out distribution to all the addresses in one day, even specifying maximum commission.
The transaction fee - the amount of the fee varies depending on the network load. It is influenced by many technical factors. The important thing is that you can achieve transaction fee in the form of 10-20 cents in the airdropping process and ensure new investments volume.
Team skills– the team should understand the blockchain operation principles, as well as have high programming and network skills for not to keep postponing airdropping.

The impact on the blockchain. Conclusion

We’ve introduced the technology allowing making a quality dialogue with private investors and gaining trust in the eyes of the tokens receivers with a relatively small financial cost. Any good project policy is that offering something useful to the [Suspicious link removed]munity, you gain trust and investment partners. Western experts believe that in the nearest future this technology will become a new PR trend. For this purpose there are some preconditions: the target audience coverage and many others, but, given the technical complexity and the nuances faced by the company, and considering  Ethereum  turnover capacity, transaction fees and severe requirements to the human resources needed for implementation, to the question: "Will airdropping become a new PR trend?", we answer "No". Will it keep developing and gain popularity in the cryptoworld? "Definitely yes!".

great post! thanks a lot!

some airdroppers now start asking to send ETH beforehand...to cover the gas for example. i think somehow it makes sense but of course the risk seems to be much higher that they just collect the ETH from the 1000s of participants and run away to set up the next scam.

is there any way/logic to recognize serious airdroppers?
andromed22

Activity: 346
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 10:11:04 PM

There is no doubt that it is a fairly informative article about airdrops. People need to learn more about airflows. Airs are not trash and I can still see a light.
bittick

Activity: 2296
Merit: 506

Cryptocasino.com

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 10:17:17 PM

Yes, nowadays I also seen it that the project manager announce to give coin free.And it's call airdrops. I has become so popular. I like it.
It's popular and in another side just the way to grab the trader's money, The fact that a lot of the airdrop token has been created with no purpose rather than become the money grabber. There is no usefulness by hold or buy your airdrop token.

nascrypto

Activity: 64

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 12:42:45 AM

I can see it's a very good idea to spread your coins. You can tap number of people at the same time by airdrop or bounties. Once some people have the token and and rest of them knows about it, they tries to have it in their portfolio as well and the token starts circulating around increasing it's value. The only issue to consider is whether it's a really good project or the project has no value at all.
Coinky

Activity: 165
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 12:54:23 AM

in this context let me introduce to a new type of airdrop.Marine coin is doing a free ICO .You get get 450,000 coins for free when you sign up.The coin is AI based Machine to machine payment newtrok.Marinecoin is a community project, it is a giant undertaking to create the largest organic fair distribution crypto community.For more info and to register visit https://marineco.in

::::I DON'T WEAR ANY SIGNATURE:::
andthereyou

Activity: 616
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 12:58:34 AM

Distribution AirDrop is a new coin of the LegitCoin. You just need to register, confirm mail and receive coins. According to them in March will cost $70.
http://legt.me/870911
Is it an Airdrop that will cost $70 per token or overall tokens that will be recieved?
If what they had promised was $70 per token then it's definitely an empty promises even if the airdrop will be successful. It will never reach $70 per token in march.
Coolfackoff

Activity: 153

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 03:09:13 AM

I think the airdrops passed. the price of gas is high. 90% simply collect information about the participants and do not send anything.
cpoer2011

Activity: 560
Merit: 108

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 03:13:28 AM

Thanks for the article about Airdrop it makes more clear about it. Now I am joining the airdrops as well beside bounty campaign, so I do it both. The airdrop now has been popular recently and that's good atm. Thanks
Darkmachine
Copper Member

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 03:14:30 AM

AirDrop is an excellent way to build your community - you however don't want to just give free tokens to anyone. It's ideal to provide these tokens to individuals with either a solid social media presence or someone that will add value to your business. It is a great way however to establish community, and bring individuals on board. I'm an advocate of it - what I'm not an advocate of is when I see "x" amount of tokens available for airdrop and when I calculate them versus their total distributable and total for crowdfunding and the numbers are completely off, it shows me they really don't care about their utility and just want to raise money and disappear lol So it's important to analyze their financials and make sure the numbers make sense.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: