Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 09:00:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do i delete the receiving Bitcoin addresses in the Bitcoin client?  (Read 2150 times)
Capitalism Prevails (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:38:31 PM

From all i can tell, they just stay there after they are created.

BTC:  1KX3MSyeHoubjvRMvkc4DXBXvEx9fr9cvV                              Strength In Numbers
LTC:  LaGawfU1ZJu33Lj6CX6NJ5WXWsfjPbLLLW                          In Cryptography We Trust
NMC:  N5EUwGbCNF1AYmZqNu9J7aYJVKxqbJoJG8          Cut Off One Node, Two More Will Take Its Place
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4410
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:19:31 PM

Correct. You cannot delete receiving addresses. Doing so has no benefits, and would cause you to lose all coins you ever received with that address, as well as any coins you might receive at that address in the future, hence the software does not allow you to even try to do this.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:20:29 PM

Correct. You cannot delete receiving addresses. Doing so has no benefits, and would cause you to lose all coins you ever received with that address, as well as any coins you might receive at that address in the future, hence the software does not allow you to even try to do this.

I'm not sure why you would want to delete the addresses anyways. OP... what is your reason for wanting to remove them?

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:27:45 PM

OP you can do it via pywallet
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0
http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=pywallet
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:41:36 PM

I'd still suggest not doing this though. At all. There is no reason I can think of for wanting to delete a receiving address.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Capitalism Prevails (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:52:06 AM

Ok i think i understand now.  If i deleted the receiving address, the Bitcoins received at that address would be affected due to built in structure of Bitcoin? Something to do with the transaction ledger/blockchain?  So is there anyway i can at least move them out of sight but not delete them?

BTC:  1KX3MSyeHoubjvRMvkc4DXBXvEx9fr9cvV                              Strength In Numbers
LTC:  LaGawfU1ZJu33Lj6CX6NJ5WXWsfjPbLLLW                          In Cryptography We Trust
NMC:  N5EUwGbCNF1AYmZqNu9J7aYJVKxqbJoJG8          Cut Off One Node, Two More Will Take Its Place
Drezi

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 03:03:30 AM

Don't delete it :O
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 03:55:02 AM

Ok i think i understand now.  If i deleted the receiving address, the Bitcoins received at that address would be affected due to built in structure of Bitcoin? Something to do with the transaction ledger/blockchain?  So is there anyway i can at least move them out of sight but not delete them?

Why do you want them out of sight? Are you never planning to receive anything to any of those addresses again?

Capitalism Prevails (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:24:10 AM

Why do you want them out of sight? Are you never planning to receive anything to any of those addresses again?

Not yet.  I have a public address for almost every Bitcoin account i use.  I imagine there will possibly be a time when some of these websites will die and my address book will just more cluttered than necessary.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:27:46 AM

Not yet.  I have a public address for almost every Bitcoin account i use.  I imagine there will possibly be a time when some of these websites will die and my address book will just more cluttered than necessary.

You can always change the titles of the addresses as well. I've "recycled" a few of my addresses like that to keep things clean.

Capitalism Prevails (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:35:10 AM

You can always change the titles of the addresses as well. I've "recycled" a few of my addresses like that to keep things clean.
That makes sense.  Thx

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:38:45 AM

Not yet.  I have a public address for almost every Bitcoin account i use.  I imagine there will possibly be a time when some of these websites will die and my address book will just more cluttered than necessary.

That makes sense.  Thx

NP! Just as another heads-up, any transactions you've already rec'd with an address will still show the previous "description," so you don't have to worry about confusing your incoming payments either. Ex. if you had one named "Incoming" and it had gotten 0.01 BTC and then you renamed it "Incoming#2" and got another 0.01 BTC, they would each, while having the same address, show their respective description at the time the payment came in.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: