Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:26:23 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: dirt-cheap mining plus free electricity  (Read 3339 times)
cWq34#9tH-3 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:08:38 PM

I have limited funds but electricity is included in my rent. All things considered, what's the cheapest reasonable way that I can get into mining?
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:09:31 PM

GPU mining with 7950

(SEARCH for more details)

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
tom_o

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 09:46:58 PM

GPU mining with 7950

(SEARCH for more details)

Or 7870XT, cheaper too. Just go for cheapest mhash/$ and overclock it as much as you can keeping it under 75*C
middlemarkal

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:55:41 AM

7870xt for bitcoin
7950 for litecoin

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
cWq34#9tH-3 (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:39:07 PM

Followup: I have a desktop and two laptops. What would I want to use in my laptops? And should I use my laptops at all? or vice-versa? Also please consider that I don't want to run the electricity use up too much and end up getting my rent raised.

Thanks everyone for your advice!
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:25:09 PM

I have limited funds but electricity is included in my rent. All things considered, what's the cheapest reasonable way that I can get into mining?

Don't bother, you won't make any money mining at this point. GPU mining is dead and you missed out on the ASICs.

You can't GPU mine on a laptop.
cWq34#9tH-3 (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:35:24 PM

Don't bother, you won't make any money mining at this point. GPU mining is dead and you missed out on the ASICs.

You can't GPU mine on a laptop.

I think you're right, but some did suggest that I get a graphics card. So how sure are you of this? It wouldn't be worth it to mine either btc or litecoin using a graphics card in my desktop AND by perhaps joining a pool?

Hey I'm just trying to quickly determine if this is worth pursuing at all.

thanks again!
JohnSy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:41:44 PM

how is this possible
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:44:13 PM

Followup: I have a desktop and two laptops. What would I want to use in my laptops? And should I use my laptops at all? or vice-versa? Also please consider that I don't want to run the electricity use up too much and end up getting my rent raised.

Laptop is useless for mining.  Wouldn't want to run one 24 hours even if was usb miners personally.  

Gpu.... your kinda at a point where its a guess.  If you do it now with asics will take a long time if you ever do have a ROI. Will there be a possibility of litecoin? Maybe but ultimatly no one knows, and if it is more profitable then BTC then most likely will have tons of gpus flooding to do it.

Ultimatly if you want to do BTC at this point it is asic you want.  
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:44:55 PM

how is this possible

Dorms, work, apartments with electricity included.
cWq34#9tH-3 (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 12:02:14 AM

Ok I get it. Even with *Free Electricity, it's not worth it unless I have significant money to invest. Sigh, well... that sucks. Sad

*It's not really free, it's included in my rent. But it's "technically" unlimited. Although a significant/unusually high or excessive amount of use would eventually get noticed and then as any reasonable business person or entity would do - they would make changes to cover this expense or to stop it from happening. Get it?

Thanks everyone for your help. I guess I'll just wait for people to find out that my online business accepts btc and that's how I will get some. Man, I wish there was better/more effective/more organized and faster/more convenient ways to let the btc community know that my online business accepts btc. Sigh again...
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 01:06:40 AM

Ok I get it. Even with *Free Electricity, it's not worth it unless I have significant money to invest. Sigh, well... that sucks. Sad

*It's not really free, it's included in my rent. But it's "technically" unlimited. Although a significant/unusually high or excessive amount of use would eventually get noticed and then as any reasonable business person or entity would do - they would make changes to cover this expense or to stop it from happening. Get it?

Thanks everyone for your help. I guess I'll just wait for people to find out that my online business accepts btc and that's how I will get some. Man, I wish there was better/more effective/more organized and faster/more convenient ways to let the btc community know that my online business accepts btc. Sigh again...

no, those ppl replying are just all foolish

go to slickdeals and wait for a 7770, 7790, or possibly a 7850 to appear

buy one of those, mine on it for a bit, then sell it on ebay for profits after redeeming your rebate and selling the included games
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 01:35:06 AM

You could cohost for people.

icebear888

Activity: 71

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:47:24 AM

The laptop will do you no good...
cWq34#9tH-3 (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:27:23 AM

I think you are correct zvs. From my research it appears that it can still be profitable mining btc, and especially litecoin - since you can trade that for btc.

icebear888, I 'm inclined to believe you are correct about not using laptops. The only way I see that as being a reasonable use is if you had an espensive and asic. Certainly not something that someone lacking funds would do....
razorfishsl

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 09:06:14 AM

Not once the Landlord finds you chewing up >24KWH a day.....

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
cWq34#9tH-3 (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 09:09:55 AM

omg would 1 or 2 two gpus use that much?  Huh
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 09:39:11 AM

No a gpu uses 0.350 kwh

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 04:02:22 PM

No a gpu uses 0.350 kwh
No, it uses 0.35 kilowatts. Per day, it uses 8.4 kilowatt hours. And that's only for 1 GPU. You'll have to account for other GPUs, supporting hardware, and inefficiency.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:49:25 PM

no a 7950 is just 200 watt per hour
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: