Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:08:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Goliath Miner  (Read 10777 times)
yohan (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:46:18 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2013, 08:08:55 AM by yohan

A lot of you have been asking about our next generation of equipment and the purpose of this post is to introduce the way we are now going as a set of systems rather than just individual boards. We have been working on a number of technology options and have 2 of those options nearly ready to test and to offer short term for sale.

The system concept is for larger rigs typically using a 19" sub-rack to offer typically 300-500 GH/s depending on the board technology used and that is the unit size that we will initially be selling in. It isn't for small miners (sorry little guys) although we may offer something smaller later in the year for that market with a revision of Cairnsmore2 that we have been using for algorythm development. The GoliathMiner concept will over time offer a range of technologies some for Bitcoin and maybe some for Litecoin. The initial focus will be on Bitcoin.

The first technology offering isn't very original in that the base card is based on Avalon chips. The Cairnsmore3 has 144 of Avalon chips on-board. The main reason for offering this technology is purely customer demand and our ability to build units will depend on securing Avalon chips. So it will be for buyers that bring Avalon chips with them.

The second technology offering is Cairnsmore4 and this option offers more flexibility than Cairnsmore3. As well as Bitcoin we believe Litcoin is possible with this product. It has an element of FPGA technology and hence this flexibility.

The pricing model for any of these systems will be based a price of GBP £80 per GH/s. So 300 GH/s rig will be E24K. For the Avalon option there will be a cost reduction for chips supplied.

There will be a strictly limited supply for August for units based on CM4. We have enough components available to build 10 sub-racks currently. CM3 based units will be limited by Avalon chip supply and to a lesser extent ancillary parts.

If this of interest to you email us on goliath AT enterpoint.co.uk. Orders for August delivery will need to be placed rapidly to guarantee delivery dates.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NR3000

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 08:41:44 PM

It is very powerful, but very expensive. Maybe a better cheaper, but more? for example, as K1, K16 or K64.

papamoi

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 08:43:38 PM

hi

your price is awfull and unsustainable

NR3000

Activity: 86

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 08:47:21 PM

Crainsmore1 [ 800 MH/s ] expensive as well. For 10BTC I can get 5 block erupters [ 5x330=1650 MH/s ]

yohan (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 09:42:27 PM
Last edit: June 15, 2013, 11:28:39 AM by yohan

Crainsmore1 [ 800 MH/s ] expensive as well. For 10BTC I can get 5 block erupters [ 5x330=1650 MH/s ]

Correct me if I am wrong (it's late) but your block erupters are costing 10 BTC ~= £653 for 1.65GH/s. = £395 per GH/s. How is that better than £80 per GH/s for a major piece of engineering?

We are not aiming to be the cheapest with this equipment as some of the supposed maybe competative offerings are way too cheap to be viable as professionally engineered and manufactured products. A rig on this scale needs a lot more engineering than a lash up design of a few chips. That said we think it is good value for this sort of rig. There are not many offerings at the 0.3-0.5 TH/s size range. This is technology that will build 100Th/s rigs and not just hang out of a laptop USB port.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 09:48:19 PM

Correct me if I am wrong (it's late) but your block erupters are costing 10 BTC ~= £653 for 1.65GH/s. = £395 per GH/s. How is that better than £80 per GH/s for a major piece of engineering?

We are not aiming to be the cheapest with this equipment as some of the supposed maybe competative offerings are way too cheap to be viable as professionally engineered and manufactured products. A rig on this scale needs a lot more engineering than a lash up design of a few chips. That said we think it is good value for this sort of rig. There are not many offerings at the 0.3-0.5 TH/s size range. This is technology that will build 100Th/s rigs not hang out of a laptop USB port.

With all due respect... You are not selling designer purses!  Your name/design means nothing in the long run and is not going to allow you to command a price that makes no economic sense simply because they are "professionally engineered".  I can assure you that all delivered open-source projects related to bitcoins are engineered by professionals.
yohan (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:01:06 PM

We are not aiming to be the cheapest with this equipment as some of the supposed maybe competative offerings are way too cheap to be viable as professionally engineered and manufactured products. A rig on this scale needs a lot more engineering than a lash up design of a few chips. That said we think it is good value for this sort of rig. There are not many offerings at the 0.3-0.5 TH/s size range. This is technology that will build 100Th/s rigs not hang out of a laptop USB port.

With all due respect... You are not selling designer purses!  Your name/design means nothing in the long run and is not going to allow you to command a price that makes no economic sense simply because they are "professionally engineered".  I can assure you that all delivered open-source projects related to bitcoins are engineered by professionals.

There is a big difference to a company project that has to pay wages/taxes/overheads and non-company project that does not have these costs. Even if a professional engineer or engineers do a project in their spare time it is very different to a company being available behind a project. I could give a longish list of things that won't be available from a solution engineered by even professional people in their spare time. That is in no way any smear of those projects but simple practicality and reality. Ultimately if you don't like our price then go elsewhere or design your own. There is no obligation to buy.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:05:45 PM

Ultimately if you don't like our price then go elsewhere or design your own. There is no obligation to buy.

Will do  Smiley  Undecided
tigerbit

Activity: 80

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:11:38 PM

The system concept is for larger rigs typically using a 19" sub-rack to offer typically 300-500 GH/s depending on the board technology used and that is the unit size that we will initially be selling in.
<snip>

The first technology offering isn't very original in that the base card is based on Avalon chips. The Cairnsmore3 has 144 of Avalon chips on-board. The main reason for offering this technology is purely customer demand and our ability to build units will demend on securing Avalon chips. So it will be for buyers that bring Avalon chips with them.

I'm a little confused re: the CM3 - Avalon option.  Is this 19" rack mount and only for sale packaged up into 300-500 GH/s, or is it for sale by the 144 chip 41 GH/s board?

If you found this useful modest tips welcome BTC: 15noAopoPUcA4D4dTJihgDVE8axZh8VWia
yohan (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:15:35 PM

The system concept is for larger rigs typically using a 19" sub-rack to offer typically 300-500 GH/s depending on the board technology used and that is the unit size that we will initially be selling in.
<snip>

The first technology offering isn't very original in that the base card is based on Avalon chips. The Cairnsmore3 has 144 of Avalon chips on-board. The main reason for offering this technology is purely customer demand and our ability to build units will demend on securing Avalon chips. So it will be for buyers that bring Avalon chips with them.

I'm a little confused re: the CM3 - Avalon option.  Is this 19" rack mount and only for sale packaged up into 300-500 GH/s, or is it for sale by the 144 chip 41 GH/s board?

There are 8 CM3s in this 19" rack option so it is more like 1152 Avalon chips in total between the 8 boards. So basically at the moment we are selling the rack option.
Milan77

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:28:57 PM

First of all I must say my personal opinion....

Yohan is honorable member of this community, with projects already done with success on market.
Personally, he replied to me on every message I sent, so he is responsible also.

Only single thing that is under question mark is: is it profitable to buyer.
But it is up to the market to show.

I AM interested in more universal mining device, even based on FPGA technology.
And must again say, if software supported SHA1 salted hacking for SL3 unlocking, I'm ALL IN Smiley

CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:29:11 PM

There is a big difference to a company project that has to pay wages/taxes/overheads and non-company project that does not have these costs. Even if a professional engineer or engineers do a project in their spare time it is very different to a company being available behind a project. I could give a longish list of things that won't be available from a solution engineered by even professional people in their spare time. That is in no way any smear of those projects but simple practicality and reality. Ultimately if you don't like our price then go elsewhere or design your own. There is no obligation to buy.
if the price reflects your costs, than say so.  don't beat around the bush with "because I made it therefore I charge more" theme.  I understand if your costs are higher, your price needs to be higher... nothing wrong with that...
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:35:40 PM

Are you going to wait until you're actually ready to ship these before you take orders, or do you plan to do pre-orders like others and then wait a few months? :p.

And I was a bit confused about your offerings. I get the 85 euro/GH/s, but what types of packages are available?

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Milan77

Activity: 202

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:39:11 PM

Are you going to wait until you're actually ready to ship these before you take orders, or do you plan to do pre-orders like others and then wait a few months? :p.

And I was a bit confused about your offerings. I get the 85 euro/GH/s, but what types of packages are available?

I think that price is quoted for universal mining device with software for it. Based on FPGA technology.
Software is here very important matter. Because it will keep (beside of good engineering design) future proof idea. Yes, nothing is 100% future proof, but will keep market place for longer time and make users happy longer Smiley

newmars

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:40:22 PM

kind of expensive compared to other products

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209750.0
Gomeler

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:44:00 PM

So no chance of a 2-4 blade install? It would be awesome if your blade interface is ASIC agnostic and we could start with a couple AVALON blades, add some BitFury blades, and finish off with some KNC blades.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:47:39 PM

I think that price is quoted for universal mining device with software for it. Based on FPGA technology.
Software is here very important matter. Because it will keep (beside of good engineering design) future proof idea. Yes, nothing is 100% future proof, but will keep market place for longer time and make users happy longer Smiley

I am kind of... not really believing we can have a universal (scrypt/sha-256) device like this though, as the two are so different in how they work. I just think that for an FPGA or ASIC to be efficient, it has to choose one or the other and be customized towards that. Otherwise we end up with "novice at many, master of none."

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
yohan (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:52:32 PM
Last edit: June 15, 2013, 11:30:28 AM by yohan

Basically equipment of this size will be built to order and there will be a deposit so call that a preorder. The main offering will be a complete rack with air cooling and power supplies including within. Beyond this initial offering we are looking things like different sizes and maybe even bringing our Cairnsmore2 to market for the smaller customer.

On timelines we hope to have both CM3 and CM4 prototypes running in the next 2-3 weeks. A lot of work has already been done on our Cairnsmore2 development platform. The main aspect of the timeline is then just the delivery of parts and our manufacturing cycles. We have been working on those aspects for a while so August is quite practical as a delivery date.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:54:22 PM

Basically equipment of this size will be built to order and there will be a deposit so call that a preorder. The main offering will be a complete rack with air cooling and power supplies including within. Beyond this initial offering we are looking things like different sizes and maybe even bringing our Cairnsmore2 to market for the smaller customer.

On timelines we hope to have both CM3 and CM4 prototypes running in the bext 2-3 weeks. A lot of work has already been done on our Cairnsmore2 development platform. The main aspect of the timeline is then just the delivery of parts and our manufacturing cycles. We have been working on those aspects for a while so August is quite practical as a delivery date.

That sounds awesome! How big are the racks, and do you know how much power you're looking at altogether?

tigerfree
Legendary

Activity: 1015
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:54:50 PM

Ultimately if you don't like our price then go elsewhere or design your own. There is no obligation to buy.

Will do  Smiley  Undecided

+1
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: