Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:48:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sapphire 7970 4th card half the speed.. all cards slower  (Read 1107 times)
makbot (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 08:27:36 PM

I recently built a rig and have an asrock z4 mobo and qty 4 7970 gpus.  newb to all this and first build.

i had only 2 installed originally and they ran between 580-650 mh/s.  is it normal for the cards to vary so much from minute to minute?

also when i put in my 4th card it's hash rate barely hits 300 mh/s.  i'm using bitminter and thought about trying another miner, but being a newb i wasn't sure if that would have a large impact.  

help is appreciated.  i searched quite a bit but did not really find much regarding a 4th card or variable speeds when mining.

thx!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:36:54 AM

If these are mounted directly to motherboard - it's most likely a heat issue of some sort - get those thing on extenders (which molex power) for better ventilation.

Charles999

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:44:55 AM

If these are mounted directly to motherboard - it's most likely a heat issue of some sort - get those thing on extenders (which molex power) for better ventilation.

Mine too.  But I only have 3 cards!  I hope someone pops up an answer.
makbot (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 09:47:28 AM

i figured out part of my problem.  i have all my cards on powered pcie extensions and the male end of the power connector would pop out when plugging it into the power supply connection.  this would cause a loose connection.  assuming this was causing a bad power connection and making my rig act inconsistent.  now all 4 cards are running at similar speeds.  around 550 mh/s.

i still get some fluctuation with the hash rates, but not nearly as bad.

now i just need to get a config that gets me closer to 650-700 per.  i have a 1250watt ps so that shouldn't be a problem.

if you dont have powered pcie extensions/risers then that will absolutely cause a problem.   i found some people wondering if they need them.  yes you do for these cards.  i found that cablesaurus has the 16x to 16x risers.  not quite sure why they are so hard to find.

anyways.. just like any troubleshooting... check all your connections! 

makbot (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 09:48:10 AM

oh ya.. all my cards run about 66 degrees Celsius.
jayeeyee

Activity: 191
Merit: 110

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:46:57 AM

I've had similar issues.  I run my miners remotely.  However, if I have to restart it, I will need to turn on the monitor or else the card connected to the monitor will hash at 1/2 the speed it's capable of.  The reason for this? No clue.. but turning it on and then running w/e miner software will remedy this.  After that, I can turn the monitor off and start hashing away as normal.  I don't know if this might fix your issue but I'd thought it's still worth 0.000001BTC to someone else of similar issues.
Charles999

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:42:54 PM

I've had similar issues.  I run my miners remotely.  However, if I have to restart it, I will need to turn on the monitor or else the card connected to the monitor will hash at 1/2 the speed it's capable of.  The reason for this? No clue.. but turning it on and then running w/e miner software will remedy this.  After that, I can turn the monitor off and start hashing away as normal.  I don't know if this might fix your issue but I'd thought it's still worth 0.000001BTC to someone else of similar issues.

That's really wierd.  I will have to check that out.  I run mine remotely too.

How do you adjust clock speed etc..remotely?  Afterburner doesn't show up right.  Can't adjust remotely
makbot (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:15:52 PM

i cant even remote into my pc when its mining.  monitor is only way.  but i dont see much prob with that.  i guess i can consider this one solved.

now to find a good config.  i dont seem to get the same results as others do.. would love to get the cards all running at 650+

mrmanager

Activity: 50

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:36:34 PM

Try using cgminer with the diablo kernel and a 128 worksize. You also need to adjust the intensity. I'm at 11 for both of the cards below. My Sapphire card has been stable for 6 days now.

I have a Sapphire 7970 averaging 708 MH/s with the core clock at 1175 and memory at 250, and a Diamond 7970 averaging 689 MH/s (1145/350). If you're using Windows, you can also use cgwatcher. cgwatcher will restart cgminer if your drivers crash. Both cards run anywhere from 62-69 degrees Celsius. I have the case open and a small fan blowing on the cards.

To remotely manage your rig try Chrome remote desktop, or something like Team Viewer. Team Viewer works very well with my Nexus 4.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: