Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:51:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Mt. Gox reimbursing those with funds locked up in the Dwolla seizure?  (Read 1151 times)
CompNsci (OP)

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 09:44:54 PM

I have no personal experience but assume others do.

Is Mt. Gox refunding funds which were locked up in the Dwolla account seizure. Certainly it seems feasible for them to determine which accounts had funds seized, and it would boost their reputation to take responsibility in this way.

Can any users comment on this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 09:46:38 PM

My understanding is the only account seized was MtGox's (well technically their US subsidiary).  It was MtGox funds in MtGox account which were seized.  No user should have had any funds seized.
CompNsci (OP)

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:03:40 PM

I had the impression that some funds in the process of being transferred may have been trapped. But if not, that is great for users.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:05:34 PM

My understanding is the only account seized was MtGox's (well technically their US subsidiary).  It was MtGox funds in MtGox account which were seized.  No user should have had any funds seized.

Really? My understanding of what happened is different. Remember, as an ordinary user to move any funds from USD to MtGox account USD took a bit of delay via Dwolla, even if your Dwolla funds were clear. In reverse the process was similar. When withdrawing USD from MtGox it would take maybe a day for that to credit to your Dwolla account (it used to be 2 weeks or more). At any given time I imagine many thousands of dollars in limbo given the size of MtGox. So if you had a pending transaction during the freeze operation I would think funds were stuck.

That's just my understanding of it.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:08:09 PM

My understanding is the only account seized was MtGox's (well technically their US subsidiary).  It was MtGox funds in MtGox account which were seized.  No user should have had any funds seized.

Really? My understanding of what happened is different. Remember, as an ordinary user to move any funds from USD to MtGox account USD took a bit of delay via Dwolla, even if your Dwolla funds were clear. In reverse the process was similar. When withdrawing USD from MtGox it would take maybe a day for that to credit to your Dwolla account (it used to be 2 weeks or more). At any given time I imagine many thousands of dollars in limbo given the size of MtGox. So if you had a pending transaction during the freeze operation I would think funds were stuck.

That's just my understanding of it.

Yes but the funds in "limbo" would be MtGox.  Funds technically are never in limbo.  Banks work on atomic transactions.  At no point is a dollar in both account nor is it in neither account.  Companies may impose delays related to various procedures or limits on cashflow but a dollar is either in MtGox account (which becomes an asset of MtGox) or in a customer's account (which wasn't seized). 

My point is DHS didn't seize any accounts except MtGox US bank account and Dwolla account, those funds are the assets of MtGox.  MtGox has a corresponding liability of the amount owed customers such that prior to the seizure the net is $0.00 (i.e. $xx,xxxx assets in MtGox funding accounts,  -$xx,xxx owed to clients). The loss of the asset doesn't erase the liability.  i.e. MTGox lost $xx,xxx but they still owe customers $xx,xxxx.   MtGox could simply credit any transaction in progress back to the client's MtGox account and write the loss off (temporary if they win in court) against retained profits.  Luckily for clients MtGox has been very profitable.

So it is my hunch (total outsider opinion) that MtGox just "ate" the total amount of seized funds (as they should).  If any customer lost funds over this they have been suspiciously silent for a long time, which lets be honest NEVER happens on bitcointalk.   
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:53:30 PM

For what it is worth I may be wrong ... I received an PM from someone wanting to remain anonymous who reports they have not received  funds back that were in transit.  I can't confirm or disprove the claim so I will leave the partially redacted report here

I had my funds lost from the MtGox seizure ... I just don't want to make a deal out of it so I didn't start a thread.   .... So some users were affected.  My funds were (Pending) in dwolla then the status went to (Cancelled).  They are neither in Gox or Dwolla now.  Gox says they are waiting for a resolution (LOL).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: