Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:25:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin... Where is this all going?  (Read 1018 times)
WhiteThunder (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 09:57:11 PM

So as I'm sitting here in the newbie section I can't help but wonder where this is all going..

Where do you believe bitcoin will be in a week? A month? 5 years?

My speculation:
-1 week.. Nothing too different, fluctuations going crazy
-1 month.. Maybe another few exchanges and services.
-5 years.. New world currency in which all government currency will be backed (if it still exists). Only countries that are too stubborn will still use their own currency. And inevitably, some wildly creative use that will revolutionize commerce.
junglist.massive

Activity: 759
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:20:37 PM

week: around 100$
month: 150$
5 years : over 1000$
foxhole

Activity: 19

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:06:48 PM

10 years: over 20,000 per bitcoin
foxhole

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:07:17 PM

Trust me... You will see.
usahero

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:21:12 PM

Hopefully we will see bitcoin at around 10$ soon enough... Then back up. Smiley
foxhole

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:23:13 PM

Its going to the stars.
Svennisen

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:56:12 PM

Hoping for a very slow but steady rise the next 10 years.

Got help from me? Feel free to tip me Smiley   BTC: 13hrdpUSJWhe2n4g4kTSHEx4GYUF9v5CU3
Galahad

Activity: 190

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:52:56 AM

Sorry to discriminate but low post counters here all said things like it will be 20k per coin. Higher post counters have said maximum = $1000 per coin or a slow steady rise which is more believable to some extent.

But what are anyone's estimations based on? Nothing on that so far.
exogan

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:59:23 AM

Sorry to discriminate but low post counters here all said things like it will be 20k per coin. Higher post counters have said maximum = $1000 per coin or a slow steady rise which is more believable to some extent.

But what are anyone's estimations based on? Nothing on that so far.

This. Exactly, nobody knows what is about to happen, I mean, you never know, BTC may get back to $2 per BTC and all the big miners will stop mining due to profitability decrease and it may, just as easy, die.

This whole Bitcoin thing is an economical experiment, and the network was mostly based in teenagers basements back in 2010. We all hope someday, BTC will be gigantic, used by all the people, including your grandma. I never thought Bitcoin will get to $100 per BTC, but it happened, as much as I didn't believe that from $250 it can go back to $50.
ktttn

Activity: 126

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 11:02:05 AM

Week: $80-$150
Month:  $30-$10,000
5 years: What is this strange "dol-lar" you speak of? I have never heard of such a thing. *flyin' sneakers*

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:08:21 AM

So as I'm sitting here in the newbie section I can't help but wonder where this is all going..

Where do you believe bitcoin will be in a week? A month? 5 years?

My speculation:
-1 week.. Nothing too different, fluctuations going crazy
-1 month.. Maybe another few exchanges and services.
-5 years.. New world currency in which all government currency will be backed (if it still exists). Only countries that are too stubborn will still use their own currency. And inevitably, some wildly creative use that will revolutionize commerce.

5 years seems a bit fast for this but still this is what is likely on the horizon if you ask me (but further out)
Risse

Activity: 47
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 11:10:54 AM

1 week: $100-120
1 month: $130
5 years: incredibly hard to predict... but I hope and believe it will be in the thousands range
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:12:42 AM

I think any adverse economic news ala Cyprus style haircuts, stock market declines and continued currency devaluing leads to BTC looking more attractive as a store of value.

Fiat is at the mercy of central banks and they are acting irresponsibly, going deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole. Imagine you had BTC denominated in yen. Or held gold in yen?

But things just might stabilise and faith will be restored. Maybe the bernankes, krugmans et al of the world are right and all will come good. Then BTC might fall or serve no purpose? Or it might be regulated and this could both help or hinder.

Truth is, as another poster said, no one knows. There are many variables.

In saying that My uninformed opinion is that BTC is a positive development just because it cuts out the banks fees/PayPal middleman and transactions times & costs.
wearepoor

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:53:45 AM

-1 week.. 75-125
-1 month.. 75-125
-5 years..  0..250
HongkongShanghaiBitCoin

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:06:18 PM

The OP was actually asking where bitcoin was heading in terms of economic and world impact, not price predictions.
JimCGSavings

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:20:39 PM

Good questions. You should put it as a poll, if you can. I'm not sure how to do that myself. My newbie opinion is that it's too early to tell, still in beta. A lot of old timers here seem to be divided between nothing can stop it and the PTB's are going to crush it for having the gall to challenge the status quo of fiat currency. I like the nothing can stop it crowd. I like the idea that Bitcoin is a disruptive technology similar to the internet. Too widely distributed and invested to kill. Like AOL! (grin)

Who knows really. But it's fun to watch. I think putting as many BTC as you can afford to lose in an offline paper wallet, or physical coin is a good bet.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:22:58 PM

The OP was actually asking where bitcoin was heading in terms of economic and world impact, not price predictions.

I blame the post right after Cheesy

In 10 years I predict Bitcoin will be or will be nearly the dominant global currency, overtaking the US dollar.  What kind of implications this will pose, however, I have no idea.  I presume those in power will not like this one bit.

Burdy

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:41:26 PM

Its going to the moon alice.  TO THE MOON!

The MOON!
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:42:43 PM

I blame the post right after Cheesy

In 10 years I predict Bitcoin will be or will be nearly the dominant global currency, overtaking the US dollar.  What kind of implications this will pose, however, I have no idea.  I presume those in power will not like this one bit.

Of those in power:

The unintelligent ones won't be able to adapt and fight to preserve what they have, only postponing the inevitable.
The intelligent ones will takes this time to adapt and preserve their power. Honestly, not even that much intelligence is needed for them to pull that off.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:56:18 PM

Of those in power:

The unintelligent ones won't be able to adapt and fight to preserve what they have, only postponing the inevitable.
The intelligent ones will takes this time to adapt and preserve their power. Honestly, not even that much intelligence is needed for them to pull that off.

Good point; those who aren't quite so bright will think they have a better chance trying to fight Bitcoin.  But that's like trying to fight the Internet; you just won't win, and from what I've gathered about men in power, they're not very tech-savvy, so I don't predict many will attempt to adopt Bitcoin, or even see why it's the path of least resistance.  The US dollar's a sinking ship, and those who take the time to understand why Bitcoin is so vital at a time like this will persevere in the end.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: