Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:08:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU mining VS ASIC mining  (Read 538 times)
chrusso (OP)

Activity: 134
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 10:17:55 PM

Hello everyone here... I've been reading the forums for a few months already, but I think it's the first time I'm posting.

I've been doing GPU mining (ETH, but not relevant to the question) for the last 6 months.
Now, I've been thinking about investing harder (somewhere in between $30k and $40k), so... I have a question, hope you can help me:

When it comes to GPU/ASIC mining, has it always been profitable? (or is there moments, when there's no point in mining?), personal experiences are most welcome! I'm trying to understand how risky it might be...

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my ignorance!
Kind regards,
Chris,
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
digger888

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 02:57:29 AM

Hello everyone here... I've been reading the forums for a few months already, but I think it's the first time I'm posting.

I've been doing GPU mining (ETH, but not relevant to the question) for the last 6 months.
Now, I've been thinking about investing harder (somewhere in between $30k and $40k), so... I have a question, hope you can help me:

When it comes to GPU/ASIC mining, has it always been profitable? (or is there moments, when there's no point in mining?), personal experiences are most welcome! I'm trying to understand how risky it might be...

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my ignorance!
Kind regards,
Chris,

You can read about GPU vs ASIC mining here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2317688.0

if you can get ASICs directly from Bitmain, go for it. You can find the breakeven analysis here:

https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/#/equipment

As you can see, currently ASICs have shorter payback compared to GPU.

shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2017, 04:47:38 AM

If you could purchase ASIC miner at very first batch, you could ROI in about 4 months or less, otherwise, it should be 10+ months.
I prefer GPU mining, it gives me more options on altcoins.
Bdavid1122

Activity: 37

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 05:05:55 AM

Really you need to mine for the future.  Find a coin that you believe in and know will be around for the long term.  Don't worry about instant roi.  People mining eth a year ago were just covering there power cost.  You make money from mining when the price spikes, not when the price is already high.
aaron2024

Activity: 38

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 05:23:50 AM

If it brings so many benefits, why doesn't core come with a proposal to implement GPU mining in Bitcoin? Does it say something about the potential and future of Bitcoin Gold?
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 06:47:12 AM

If it brings so many benefits, why doesn't core come with a proposal to implement GPU mining in Bitcoin? Does it say something about the potential and future of Bitcoin Gold?

Not So many benefits actually, it does have some pro's over ASIC's, and decent resale value when worst comes worst that mining is already not profitable.

When it comes to GPU/ASIC mining, has it always been profitable? (or is there moments, when there's no point in mining?)

month of september has been a struggle month when ETH difficulty spikes, it is nearly impossible to have profits, considering high electricity rates in my locations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: