Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 01:51:25 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Biometrics and Bitcoin  (Read 1402 times)
betafall (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:11:41 AM

We are an EDGE Innovations think tank out of Montreal for General Dynamics

We have prototyped a portable (soon to be wearable) Biometric device with the following features:

• Biometric 3 factor authentication - (Something you "have", Something you "know", Something you "are")
  • Communication via USB, Bluetooth, RFI, & Wifi
  • Onboard biometric database and management software
  • Stand-alone unit, untethered, and contact-less
  • ATMEL encrypted chip for sensitive information
  • Device is powered by a 32 BIT Cortex CPU
  • Biometric system is powered by Authentic chip

Our product was demonstrated as a Biometric, bluetooth login device for a Windows system last week at the Toronto Bitcoin Community Meetup.
We are reaching out to the Bitcoin community to see possible applications for our product, which direction we should go and to get some discussion going regarding Biometrics and Bitcoin hardware.

RagnarDanneskjold

Activity: 144

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 09:26:44 AM

Sounds cool. I believe I've seen 'Biometric' btc wallet apps floating around and various hardware wallet implementations. 

Are you the OEM; what is the demonstration/ intended purpose/what determined your design&component requirements? Sounds like a wireless security dongle for mobile or possibly a standalone wallet.

When you ask 'what direction we should go'. Do you mean further hardware development, or are you just looking for programing/applications/firmware for this device?

THis reminded me af a good article (a bit dated) on biometric wallets/banking here:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/imaging/the-biometric-wallet

git  |  | ID
'Bitcoin is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage’s whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Bitcoin is the process of setting man free from men'
BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:05:47 PM

This is great, security is never enough in bitcoin's world.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:35:36 PM

Care to elaborate more on the capabilities of this device?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:39:22 AM

This sounds interesting I would also like to know more about the capabilities of this device
My first assumption would be giving it the ability to share bio-metric data using IR with a service provider if the person is incapacitated
That might be more medical than security based though unless it's along the lines of a dead man switch for someone else to access it if needed
That is related to
When you ask 'what direction we should go'. Do you mean further hardware development, or are you just looking for programing/applications/firmware for this device?

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
betafall (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:27:35 PM

Sounds cool. I believe I've seen 'Biometric' btc wallet apps floating around and various hardware wallet implementations. 

Are you the OEM; what is the demonstration/ intended purpose/what determined your design&component requirements? Sounds like a wireless security dongle for mobile or possibly a standalone wallet.

THis reminded me af a good article (a bit dated) on biometric wallets/banking here:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/imaging/the-biometric-wallet

We are looking for suggestions for further hardware development as well as programming/apps/firmware etc that might be Bitcoin related..
betafall (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:37:27 PM

Care to elaborate more on the capabilities of this device?

Basically it is a device that "does something", whether it be log you into a PC, or it could eventually be adapted to become a portable hard drive, or a piece of Bitcoin hardware. The specs of what we have are listed above so what are now looking for suggestions from the Bitcoin community as to which direction we should go with further developing hardware / software etc.

Our initial research and motivation came about to solve security issues in the "bring your own device" jungle. Particularly prominent in the banking/legal/ and other industry with sensitive data.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:54:48 PM

Would this have a Linux distro. pre-configured to avoid eavesdropping?

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Mylon

Activity: 140

Mining FTW

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:55:09 PM

We have prototyped a portable (soon to be wearable) Biometric device with the following features:

• Biometric 3 factor authentication - (Something you "have", Something you "know", Something you "are")

Our product was demonstrated as a Biometric, bluetooth login device for a Windows system last week at the Toronto Bitcoin Community Meetup.
We are reaching out to the Bitcoin community to see possible applications for our product, which direction we should go and to get some discussion going regarding Biometrics and Bitcoin hardware.

While being very interested in this, I ofc have my concerns.

I would love to use this thing as an hardware wallet, however in order to do safely, I would pull out this:
Wifi & Bluetooth are flawed in design, not thinking about security, and way to easy to be attacked by a middleman. RFI I don't have enough experience with, however unless using the latest version of it, I believe its been hacked already too.

Then we would only have USB left, which is imo not an ideal way to pay in a shop.

What we need is a Wireless technology, that is designed to be secure. (like https, ssh, etc etc)

Lastly, while I like 3 factor auth, I'm not really sure how "something you have (like an ID card)" could benefit here, as having the id card in my left pocket, and the device in my right pocket, kinda defeats the purpose of something you have. (imo, something you have security, only works when your not constantly near the thing/location that it needs) (feel free to prove me wrong here)

As to spark an idea in you guys, a combination / randomization of the "Something you are" would be something I really love to see. (asking for either left or right eye for retinal scan, and asking for a specific finger for fingerprint) (just in case someone tries to copy one, now they would need all, a lot harder to get)

And in case you missed it, this stuff is great for hardware wallets.

"All Your Base Are Belong To Us" by CATS
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:50:40 PM

I would love to use this thing as an hardware wallet, however in order to do safely, I would pull out this:
Wifi & Bluetooth are flawed in design, not thinking about security, and way to easy to be attacked by a middleman. RFI I don't have enough experience with, however unless using the latest version of it, I believe its been hacked already too.

Then we would only have USB left, which is imo not an ideal way to pay in a shop.

What we need is a Wireless technology, that is designed to be secure. (like https, ssh, etc etc)

Lastly, while I like 3 factor auth, I'm not really sure how "something you have (like an ID card)" could benefit here, as having the id card in my left pocket, and the device in my right pocket, kinda defeats the purpose of something you have. (imo, something you have security, only works when your not constantly near the thing/location that it needs) (feel free to prove me wrong here)

As to spark an idea in you guys, a combination / randomization of the "Something you are" would be something I really love to see. (asking for either left or right eye for retinal scan, and asking for a specific finger for fingerprint) (just in case someone tries to copy one, now they would need all, a lot harder to get)

Well that's why I mentioned IR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_Data_Association
For a device focusing on security line of sight probably works best

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
betafall (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 01:51:16 PM

Agreed that Bluetooth and Wifi are not designed for security.  However the responsibility of security utilizing communication protocols is up to the host and client systems.  We cannot and will NOT rely on communication protocols to provide adequate and provable security. There are numerous very good open source solutions to enable robust security on top of these communication stacks. As such the movement of information to and from our device is well protected and offers assurances as to its resilience and capabilities. In other words you have the controls that will give you peace of mind.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: