Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:45:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: In the short term (say next 2 years), do you believe more in Silver or Bitcoins?
Silver - 7 (12.1%)
Bitcoins - 51 (87.9%)
Total Voters: 58

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Silver or Bitcoins?  (Read 745 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:05:19 AM

In the short term (say next 2 years), do you believe more in Silver or Bitcoins? In terms of potential for increase in value, I mean.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:18:16 AM

Bitcoins have more upside AND downside. Silver doesn't one day disappear because something breaks at the atomic level of the universe.

randrace

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:02:09 AM

I want Silver Bitcoins!
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:05:04 AM

shit idk about the next 2 years but right now, today, silver is LUDICROUSLY undervalued. i may start buying some bitcoins again in the future but right now ALL my extra money is going into silver.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:24:17 AM

Silver isn't undervalued. It only undervalued when you compare it to gold which is ludicrously over-valued right now.

Also, bullion makes a horrible investment. You get taxed up the ass for any gains you make. There is no such thing as long term capital gains for bullion. You'll get taxed at 28% fed tax in the US plus whatever your state charges. Where I live that is another 12%. So you would pay nearly 40% on something that is expected to just keep up with inflation over the long term. No thanks.

Bitcoin is riskier but is a better investment overall.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:06:42 AM

Yes I don't think one should buy bullion as an "investment" but as a store of "value" that has nothing to do with any government on this planet. One's labour of life being represented by a bill issued by a large body of con-men can set one instantly ILL. Place a portion of your life's labours into the hands of nature, be free of the ruling rabble.

HappyBitCoinUser

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 09:12:56 AM

You forgot the option "Both" for those of us that have a mixed portfolio
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:22:43 PM

Silver isn't undervalued. It only undervalued when you compare it to gold which is ludicrously over-valued right now.

Also, bullion makes a horrible investment. You get taxed up the ass for any gains you make. There is no such thing as long term capital gains for bullion. You'll get taxed at 28% fed tax in the US plus whatever your state charges. Where I live that is another 12%. So you would pay nearly 40% on something that is expected to just keep up with inflation over the long term. No thanks.

erm what are you talking about? no one knows what silver i have or dont have and there is no reason to expect anyone to know at any point in the future other than the person i sell it to someday. how on earth is the government going to tax me on that?

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:58:01 PM

erm what are you talking about? no one knows what silver i have or dont have and there is no reason to expect anyone to know at any point in the future other than the person i sell it to someday. how on earth is the government going to tax me on that?

Private sales is the best way to get around it, but to unload a lot of silver you will likely have to go through a dealer of some sort. In which case they will report it if it's a large sum of money

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:12:04 PM

Private sales is the best way to get around it, but to unload a lot of silver you will likely have to go through a dealer of some sort. In which case they will report it if it's a large sum of money

ah well my intention is not to ever "unload" it, my intention is to hold onto it until the point at which i can spend it as the money that it is.  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: