Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:10:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Electrum wallet  (Read 341 times)
zigglr6 (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:00:28 PM

I am considering transfering my bitcoins from coinbase to electrum wallet. My question is, what happens if Electrum suddenly shuts down and their servers go offline? Will I be able to access my coins using another wallet or will they be lost?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Creepings

Activity: 546
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:03:30 PM

I am considering transfering my bitcoins from coinbase to electrum wallet. My question is, what happens if Electrum suddenly shuts down and their servers go offline? Will I be able to access my coins using another wallet or will they be lost?

I think they will not just shut down their servers just like that. They are one of the popular bitcoin wallet that is used by the people. I am also using Electrum to save some of my bitcoins. But, if they will be shutting down, I think they will give some time for people to remove or send their bitcoins into another bitcoin wallet.
masterbt

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:14:55 PM

Electrum is a wallet not an exchange. So, it is unlikely to get shut down. Your coins are safe with them. Also, most of the well knows wallets are still doing well and not known any case of closing.

||
My Idea Helped You, GIFT BTC
FiendCoin

Activity: 462
Merit: 263

The devil is in the detail.

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:16:27 PM

You can export your private keys anytime very easily even while offline.

"Darkness is good. Dick Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That's power." -Steve Bannon
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:18:44 PM

Whatever happens to Electrum, as long as you have access and you saved your backup phrases then you should be fine.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:30:07 PM

That's why you need to save the backup of the private keys of the electrum wallet. Whatever happens to electrum as long as you have the private keys and no one knows it besides you then you're safe just save it offline.
allocatespetrified

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:32:27 PM

I use electrum myself,  and as a user of it I can tell you that your coins are safe there.  If and only if it went down your bitcoin can easily be recovered as long as you've taken the precaution of writing down your recovery key which is generated when you make your wallet.  The development team behind electrum is also pretty awesome,  so I doubt they would shut down without notice.
defianttaxi

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:33:03 PM

Your bitcoins are safe regardless of if the electrum servers go down.
neolexx

Activity: 118
Merit: 20

ART via BTS & ETH www.magicmouseart.com

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2017, 12:36:16 PM

I use electrum myself,  and as a user of it I can tell you that your coins are safe there.  If and only if it went down your bitcoin can easily be recovered as long as you've taken the precaution of writing down your recovery key which is generated when you make your wallet.  The development team behind electrum is also pretty awesome,  so I doubt they would shut down without notice.
It looks like only expectations and believes. Each one should save keys on your offline storage.

Пиcaтeль бизнec тeмaтики (мoя книгa Лoвyшки бизнec-пapтнepcтвa) https://ridero.ru/books/lovushki_biznes-partnerstva/ 
Кoнcyльтиpyю пo вoпpocaм PR и лидoгeнepaции. Упaкoвкa бизнeca и выxoд нa зapyбeжныe pынки пoдpoбнee: 
https://kartintsev.org
thesmallgod

Activity: 1498
Merit: 129

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:43:11 PM

I dont think electrum will just shut down like that without notification. Electrum is actually one of few most trusted and used bitcoin wallet by people. It is a wallet and not an exchange platform i am also using the wallet but what I will advise you is to backup your wallet and make sure you dont expose your private key in any way. doing this will really help keep your wallet safe and secure.
h0lybyte

Activity: 924
Merit: 511

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:44:18 PM

Electrum is not an ordinary wallet that will shut down their servers suddenly. They serve their users better 24/7 than other wallers.
In whatever way, you need to have access to your electrum wallet sensitive credentials like pass  phrase, private key.
You will be able to access your bitcoins using other wallet that supports import of private key in case you face issues with electrum.
eann014

Activity: 1078
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:47:09 PM

Once Electrum wallet shut down, you will not able to access your account and you will not able to get back your coins permanently, but do you really think Electrum wallet will totally shut down in the future? Well, if you don't have trust with your wallet, try to en cash it and deposit it into the bank.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:48:40 PM

The servers are managed by multiple people, even you can create one so having them all shutdown is not possible. They also don't store any sensitive information's so no worries, continue to use it. If things goes wrong (unlikely), export the private keys or import your seed to another BIP39 compatible wallet.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Hamphser

Activity: 2478
Merit: 326

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 05:51:08 PM

Thinking off that Electrum would shut down then its nearly impossible to happen if it does then theres nothing to worry because we can anytime export our keys even on offline just like what being said above.This is what i like on electrum compared on other wallet because you do really have the power on knowing your private keys.This is why its important anytime to have back ups on your wallet so that if incase theres a possible problem you wont really worry too much because you can still able to access that address.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████