Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 12:19:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A father in need  (Read 731 times)
RandyMagnum (OP)

Activity: 662
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:48:29 AM
Last edit: June 18, 2013, 02:05:53 PM by RandyMagnum

*Update June 18* The remainder of the goal was met by a local benefactor and things are looking like they'll be turning for the better.  I've removed the link b/c of the good news.  Thanks for at least stirring up some discourse on giving; I understand that cynicism/skepticism seem to be our only safeguards on the internet these days.

Hey everyone,

I have a life-long, reliable friend that has stood up for me since childhood and he's come across an unusually difficult year. As his friend, I am compelled to seek out anyone that will pause for a brief moment to review his plea. Without bending your ear too much, I composed a quick call for support.

“Fathers shouldn't check out, hang back and let their kids raise themselves.” – Ruben Navarrette Jr.

There are those among us that have experienced an exceptional degree of struggle; those that now have the ability to genuinely empathize with others. If it is in you to walk a mile in another man’s shoes, please consider this young man’s plea.

This friend of mine has proven to be a rare example of someone with a genuine sense of duty and an innate understanding of right action. How many fathers out there are disengaged, uninterested, or not even around? I find it truly commendable that this father is willing to humble himself and ask for support in his pursuit to spend time with his daughter.

This is an appeal to take a brief moment to consider whether you are in a position to lend a hand.

I wish the site he's on would accept cryptos. I'm requesting their consideration to support a processor like Bitpay, though it seems unreasonable to expect a hasty implementation.

Thank you for the moment.
RichG

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:35:54 PM

Hey everyone,

I have a life-long, reliable friend that has stood up for me since childhood and he's come across an unusually difficult year. As his friend, I am compelled to seek out anyone that will pause for a brief moment to review his plea. Without bending your ear too much, I composed a quick call for support.

“Fathers shouldn't check out, hang back and let their kids raise themselves.” – Ruben Navarrette Jr.

There are those among us that have experienced an exceptional degree of struggle; those that now have the ability to genuinely empathize with others. If it is in you to walk a mile in another man’s shoes, please consider this young man’s plea.

This friend of mine has proven to be a rare example of someone with a genuine sense of duty and an innate understanding of right action. How many fathers out there are disengaged, uninterested, or not even around? I find it truly commendable that this father is willing to humble himself and ask for support in his pursuit to spend time with his daughter.

This is an appeal to take a brief moment to consider whether you are in a position to lend a hand.

http://www.gofundme.com/3969jw

I wish the site he's on would accept cryptos. I'm requesting their consideration to support a processor like Bitpay, though it seems unreasonable to expect a hasty implementation.

Thank you for the moment.

I am sorry to say this, but this is probably a
SCAM
RandyMagnum (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:40:21 PM

That's a perfectly respectable position to assume, especially around these parts.

It is a sad, statistical truth of the internet that you have to go by to keep yourself safe these days.

I respect your caution, and don't expect many to give a second of their time to this, but as I mentioned, he's my friend.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:49:13 PM

If he wanted to scam he would have posted a Bitcoin address. So I don't think it's a scam.

The site he thinks to is a legit crowdfunding site ranking 12,170 in Alexa:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoFundMe

The only thing that could be scammy were if the guy posted a fake sob story to get money. But then again it can't be proved. Pay if you want to and trust he is being honest. Don't pay if you don't want to or don't trust it. I don't see the big deal.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 05:54:46 PM

If he wanted to scam he would have posted a Bitcoin address. So I don't think it's a scam.

The only thing that could be scammy were if the guy posted a fake sob story to get money. But then again it can't be proved. Pay if you want to and trust he is being honest. Don't pay if you don't want to or don't trust it. I don't see the big deal.

Yup, the best way to avoid scams is not to participate in any. It would be a shame if it was a scam and someone donated a sizeable amount of cash to it.

KSV

Activity: 398

SVERIGES VIRTUELLA VALUTAVÄXLING

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 06:00:25 PM

Yup, the best way to avoid scams is not to participate in any. It would be a shame if it was a scam and someone donated a sizeable amount of cash to it.

it would be equally, if not more, sad if this were true and fellow humans stood by and refused to help - on an assumption that its a scam.

Trade Bitcoins @ FYB-SE ---> https://www.fybse.se
syn999

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:53:30 PM

bitcoin can be give as a charity optionion.
But bitcointalk is not charity organization
gl if its real

Burdy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:17:06 PM

it would be equally, if not more, sad if this were true and fellow humans stood by and refused to help - on an assumption that its a scam.

Don't read to far into his posts, all he does is spam to get his post count up.
acs26

June 15, 2013, 08:28:27 PM

It's okay. The guy hosting the GoFund turns out to live in Germantown, TN. I live in TN, so I could easily hunt him down.

Just kidding.

----
It seems like it's a high risk of being a scam. Not sure if it is, or if it isn't.
RandyMagnum (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:40:12 PM

It's okay. The guy hosting the GoFund turns out to live in Germantown, TN. I live in TN, so I could easily hunt him down.

Just kidding.

----
It seems like it's a high risk of being a scam. Not sure if it is, or if it isn't.

Hey, me too.  I'm in Memphis, though.

There's no getting around it, you're right and I'm personally a huge skeptic of anything on the web, as well. I wish there was a trusted middleman service that could independently verify such requests, but we are unfortunately left up to battle these decisions on our own for now.

On another note, I did just finish a thoughtful request for them to at least investigate the future implementation of Bitcoin and services like Bitpay.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 04:04:25 AM

You know, what we need is a service similar to GoFundMe or something along those lines for Bitcoin.  I'm trying to get a community toolshed put together (since a number of storms have shown that we don't always have the tools for the job and that some people can't handle yard/house work on their own) and there's nowhere to go to ask for donations on such a matter.

Funroll_Loops, the theoretically quicker breakfast cereal!
Check out http://www.facebook.com/JupiterICT for all of your computing needs.  If you need it, we can get it.  We have solutions for your computing conundrums.  BTC accepted!  12HWUSguWXRCQKfkPeJygVR1ex5wbg3hAq
bitbybit2

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 12:31:26 AM

Another sob story like the ones being peddled by mainstream media. A scammer in need. Indeed.
RandyMagnum (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 02:04:17 PM

*Update* The remainder of the goal has been met by a local benefactor and things are looking like they'll be turning for the better.  I've removed the link b/c of the good news.  Thanks for at least stirring up some discourse on giving; I understand that cynicism/skepticism seem to be our only safeguards on the internet these days.
GaiusMaximus

Activity: 45

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:49:19 PM

happy to here this man, my father recently passed and it's nice to see the local benefactor helping you
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: