Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 06:33:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Blast Bitcoin Onto The World Stage  (Read 13498 times)
CompNsci

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:29:26 PM

The QR code would be a use similar to the one where someone used a QR code in a video on YouTube and apparently received 4 BTC or so for the contribution.

But how to get in touch with Snowden to see if he is interested?
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:53:49 PM

The QR code would be a use similar to the one where someone used a QR code in a video on YouTube and apparently received 4 BTC or so for the contribution.

But how to get in touch with Snowden to see if he is interested?

surely he would be interested, we are over here begging him to allow us to throw money at him

i think we would just need to broadcast the message. maybe youtube? is there anyone in the bitcoin community who has a popular youtube channel that regularly gets a lot of hits?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 12:53:56 AM

Get in touch with Glenn Greenwald, he's very active on twitter
@ggreenwald
probably wouldn't be hard to find an email address for him, he's well published.

Should be able to connect with an email address, or pass along a message.

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
Melbustus
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:29:23 AM

How could we get the private key, which we can't know, to him without it being intercepted or used by a middleman?

Can BitMessage help out here?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
ShroomsKit

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:30:43 AM

Funny how noone talks about how he is supposed to cash them out and get the actual money in his hands.

Its price is not a very relevant factor in its adoption....
mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 01:32:07 AM

spendbitcoins.com and ordering things online?

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:33:47 AM

Funny how noone talks about how he is supposed to cash them out and get the actual money in his hands.

Localbitcoins hong kong? he is basically a celebrity right now, it shouldn't be that hard for him to find someone.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
cpengr

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:16:05 AM

Turns out Snowden has been holed up in Hong Kong, burning through all his credit cards to get this message to the world.

He's pretty much sacrificed everything for the good of us all.
(Emphasis mine.)

Citation needed.

Here is a source saying he does not want your money: Edward Snowden’s Hong Kong Interview: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know.

Quoting from the same:
Quote from: Paul Farrell
Snowden also commented on the petitions and funds that have been setup in support of the whistleblower:

"I’m very grateful for the support of the public, but I ask that they act in their interest – save their money for letters to the government that breaks the law and claims it noble."

Sage (OP)

Activity: 632

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:24:20 AM

Turns out Snowden has been holed up in Hong Kong, burning through all his credit cards to get this message to the world.

(Emphasis mine.)

Citation needed.

Here is a source saying he does not want your money: Edward Snowden’s Hong Kong Interview: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know.

Quoting from the same:
Snowden also commented on the petitions and funds that have been setup in support of the whistleblower:

"I’m very grateful for the support of the public, but I ask that they act in their interest – save their money for letters to the government that breaks the law and claims it noble."

Which adds to his cred.

But the reality is eventually he will run out of money and/or all funds for him will get cut off or frozen.  Whether he wants to accept it or not, he'll need financial support at that point.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:11:03 AM

Localbitcoins hong kong? he is basically a celebrity right now, it shouldn't be that hard for him to find someone.
That sounds like an excellent way for authorities to nab him.

"I want to buy BTC. Please arrive at coffee shop on 10th street at 6 PM.  We'll I'll meet you there."

(Emphasis mine.)

Citation needed.

Quoting from the same:

Which adds to his cred.

But the reality is eventually he will run out of money and/or all funds for him will get cut off or frozen.  Whether he wants to accept it or not, he'll need financial support at that point.
Or maybe not.  He was making $200k/year.  Whose to say he hasn't stashed enough to live off of for the rest of his life in a suitcase somewhere?

My opinion: Respect what he says when he says he doesn't want our money.
happygeorge

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

In da Jungle!

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 12:14:31 PM

What the heck is everyone thinking here?!?!

I would find it very very hard to believe that a super tech guru, and information mastermind to not know about Bitcoin.

The $200k he made every year, he converted it all to bitcoin probably during the 2011 "bubble" and he is grinning ear-to-ear right now!

He probably came out and blew the whistle on everything BECAUSE of bitcoin... he felt "safe" knowing that he will be able to keep himself sustained while having to run around the world hiding from those you really can't hide from.

== although I thought this was a good idea too! Smiley  == 

It just seems so improbable that he didn't/doesn't know about BTC and that he doesn't have a stash of 10k - 100k BTC in his brainwallet! Smiley
ShroomsKit

Activity: 672

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:08:06 PM

You don't seem to understand the situation he is in. He is hiding, do you understand what that means?

Its price is not a very relevant factor in its adoption....
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:11:05 PM

You don't seem to understand the situation he is in. He is hiding, do you understand what that means?

If he is literally hiding, like the kind of hiding that you do when you play hide and seek, than you are right i didn't understand. I assumed he was just in hongkong to stay out side of the jurisdiction of the united states. I didnt know that he was actually literally hiding under a trashcan or behind some bushes somewhere in hong kong  Tongue.

dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 02:27:46 PM

Do we know Mr. Greenwald's position on Bitcoin?

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:38:04 PM

good idea
Jobe7

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:51:39 PM

If you want to do something like this I suggest you take a different approach.

Try to pass the message along (probably via the guardian journalist would be a good start) for Snowden to state a Bitcoin address (probably with a video with it, to avoid scams) for donations to go to help.

It would be harder the way in the OP, as you'd need to get in touch with him anyway to pass along the private key, lots of encryption and such, but just asking him to make/state an address can easily be done publicly, and you can't be held accountable IF he does listen and publicly states a donation address.

Mind you ... does Bitcoin need that particular kind of attention at this time?

Bad and good sides I see .. murky is the future ..
dawie

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

BTC for a better world

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 09:06:40 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2013, 01:50:42 PM by dawie

Bitcoin should not be associated with being antagonistic towards authorities at its infancy stage.  Ultimately it would be great if it becomes the de-facto world currency.  That being said, Snowden is standing up for a good cause which Bitcoin can associate with.  It is a good idea to show support but we don’t need to ‘advertise’ Bitcoin by means of controversy.
However if we get an address to/from him, all we need is for Snowden to just use the word “Bitcoin” in some positive context e.g. “the Bitcoin community has been very supportive”.  Curious people will pick it up and Google it… The internet and word of mouth will take it from there.

Fascinated by BTC
BTC: 1HWUnvZ3xQykdSJsfyGiGQpZG16uFe8DXJ
XMR: 44fJ52WJGUmceBX6iARnfW6k9p2MFrwkb9AeXRDvQDaZYM8zkA2uuysE164GBGrhkvGh8PAxGUFU5Fq eEmk82Cww3CHdeRS
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 09:38:49 AM

I would leave well alone, we'd be doing more harm than good.

Bitcoin has a public ledger - so as soon as the vanity address is published folk will be watching to see how and where it is spent.

Bitcoin is only pseudonomous as long as you don't associate an address with an identity. As soon as you (which is what people are proposing) you are out in the open with a spotlight on you.

Hopefully Snowden had the sense to switch some of his money into bitcoins before he gave his interviews. Otherwise he's better off with fiat in small used bills.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 01:36:49 PM

Bitcoin has a public ledger - so as soon as the vanity address is published folk will be watching to see how and where it is spent.

Bitcoin is only pseudonomous as long as you don't associate an address with an identity. As soon as you (which is what people are proposing) you are out in the open with a spotlight on you.

Hopefully Snowden had the sense to switch some of his money into bitcoins before he gave his interviews. Otherwise he's better off with fiat in small used bills.

he could mix his coins if he needed too he is a computer scientist after all right?

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:01:54 PM

He is doing an interview now (4pm BST, 11am ET US, 8am PT US):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/17/edward-snowden-nsa-files-whistleblower

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: