Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:54:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 99bitcoins Faucet  (Read 744 times)
ride22 (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 01:57:00 PM

I have been using this faucet for about a month, while working on other things, and today I noticed it is pegging my CPU at 100%.  Does anyone know what in the world they are doing?  Are they CPU mining something with my computer while on their faucet page?

I k now there are some faucets out there that do use your CPU to mine, but they typically let you know. 

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ride22 (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 02:23:34 PM

Alright, thanks for looking at.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. 
Hobo66

Activity: 1344
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 03:04:32 PM

Heh he, That is plain browser mining going on smartly on that website. Smiley
allot of web developers or implementing to do this in their website,
mining bitcoin and others cryptocurrencies are becoming much easier day by day.

Code:
                                  ██▄▄              ▄▄██
                                   █████▄        ▄█████
      ▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄     █████▄      ▄█████      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄███████████▄    █████████████▄    █████▄    ▄█████   ▄▄███████████▄    █████     █████
 █████▀▀▀▀██████   ██████▀▀▀██████    █████▄  ▄█████   ▄█████▀▀▀▀▀█████▄   █████   █████
█████  ▄▄█████▀▀   █████     █████     █████▄▄█████    █████       █████    █████ █████
██████████▀▀       █████     █████      ██████████     █████       █████     █████████
 ██████▀ ▄▄▄█▄     █████     █████       ████████      ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄█████▀      ███████
  ▀████████████    █████     █████        █████        ▀▀███████████▀         █████
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀           █████
                                                                             █████
                                                                            █████
                                                                           █████
                    ▄▄▄████▄
▀████▄▄▄          ▄██████████
 ▀███████▄       ▄██████████
  ▀████████      ██████████
   █████████    ██████████▀
    █████████  ▄█████████▀
     █████████ ██████████
      ██████████████████
      ▀████████████████
       ▀█████████████▀
        ▀████████████▀
         ▀██████████▀
           ▀███████▀
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2017, 03:34:29 PM

The internet has become a minefield. Smiley

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
boranes

Activity: 644
Merit: 253

Change Your Worlds Build a New Era!

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 03:35:26 PM

I have been using this faucet for about a month, while working on other things, and today I noticed it is pegging my CPU at 100%.  Does anyone know what in the world they are doing?  Are they CPU mining something with my computer while on their faucet page?
Everything is ok with your computer and you are right, they are using your CPU to mine, probably monero. Stay away from that site and find better ways to earn bitcoin, faucet is not one of them.
Problem is that these days everyone should check CPU behavior because lots sites are using your CPU to mine coins.
Yeah, crazy.

░░░░░▄██░██░██▄        ████████████████▄     ███▄░░░░░░░▄███
░░░▄███▀░██░▀███▄     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████     ▀████░░░░░████▀
░▄███▀░░░██░░░▀███▄  ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███     ░▀████░░░████▀░
▄███▀░░░░██░░░░▀███▄ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███     ░░▀██▀░▄████▀░░
███▀░░░░░██░░░░░▀███ ░░░█████████████▀     ░░░▀░▄█████▀░░░
████░░░░░██░░░░░████ ░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▀         ░░░▄███████▄░░░
▀████░░░░░░░░░░████▀ ░░░░░░░░░░░████         ░░▄████░████▄░░
░▀████░░░░░░░░████▀   ░░░░░░░░░░░░████       ░▄████░░░████▄░
░░░▀███▄░░░░▄███▀       ░░░░░░░░░░░░░████     ▄████░░░░░████▄
░░░░░  ██████▀           ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██     ███▀░░░░░░░▀███
The Future of Gaming Comission
FreeGames And Items Exchange
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ride22 (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 03:38:38 PM

Everything is ok with your computer and you are right, they are using your CPU to mine, probably monero. Stay away from that site and find better ways to earn bitcoin, faucet is not one of them.
Problem is that these days everyone should check CPU behavior because lots sites are using your CPU to mine coins.
Yeah, crazy.

I am open to suggestions to something as easy as using a faucet.  I was just leaving the website open, and typing in the captua every 5 min, but with them pining my processor it just isn't worth it. 

It was just something to do why typing out emails at work.
F2b

Activity: 2078
Merit: 863

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 03:45:35 PM

Yeah, crazy.

I am open to suggestions to something as easy as using a faucet.  I was just leaving the website open, and typing in the captua every 5 min, but with them pining my processor it just isn't worth it. 

Free money ? It will never be worth it and you will put a lot of work in for absolutely nothing
ride22 (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 04:01:09 PM

Yeah, crazy.

Free money ? It will never be worth it and you will put a lot of work in for absolutely nothing

It is obviously not free it I am performing a task for it. 
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2017, 11:35:02 PM
Last edit: November 03, 2017, 04:13:17 PM by LTU_btc

Oh, I didn't noticed, thanks for sharing information with us. I'm not happy to see these news, because I always keep 99Bitcoins faucet opened in one of tabs. It's one of my favorite faucet and it's not nice that they don't inform users that they run miner in background. I only found article that they reviewed Coinhive miner - https://99bitcoins.com/webmining-monetize-your-website-through-user-browsers/

EDIT
Today we can see this annoucement on the bottom of 99Bitcoins faucet:
[IMPORTANT] Upcoming Faucet Updates
We are testing a new business model for the fuacet by running a low cpu Monero miner in the background. This shouldn’t affect your computer’s performance and hopefully will help us keep the faucet alive. If you encounter specific issue please let us know.

ride22 (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 03:40:39 PM

Oh, I didn't noticed, thanks for sharing information with us. I'm not happy to see these news, because I always keep 99Bitcoins faucet opened in one of tabs. It's one of my favorite faucet and it's not nice that they don't inform users that they run miner in background. I only found article that they reviewed Coinhive miner - https://99bitcoins.com/webmining-monetize-your-website-through-user-browsers/

EDIT
We are testing a new business model for the fuacet by running a low cpu Monero miner in the background. This shouldn’t affect your computer’s performance and hopefully will help us keep the faucet alive. If you encounter specific issue please let us know.

Yeah, I noticed that announcment today as well.  They should have put that up before they tried anything.  They had my laptop breathing fire it was so hot.
Ludwig Von

Activity: 854
Merit: 307

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 06:37:48 PM

EDIT

Yeah, I noticed that announcment today as well.  They should have put that up before they tried anything.  They had my laptop breathing fire it was so hot.

I abandoned 99 two weeks ago because of this.

I am bad in catching falling knives, always get hurt... .
ride22 (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 03:02:04 PM

EDIT

I abandoned 99 two weeks ago because of this.

Hate to admit it, but I did as well. 
ofirbeigel

Activity: 257
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2017, 04:57:06 AM

Hey guys, Ofir here from 99Bitcoins.

I'll be the first to admit that we should have put that notice straight from the start. Thing is that at the time we didn't really know what we were doing and wanted to test some stuff out. In any case, the miner was running for a very short time before we understood the importance of this and put up the notice.

Our faucet is one of the oldest and highest paying faucets around, and with the increasing price of Bitcoin it's getting hard to sustain so we need to get creative with business models from time to time.
It's important to say that the miner was running only on the faucet page and on no other page on the site as well.

For now the miner is disabled, we're still testing it from time to time but it will show a very clear notice if it's running.

Glad I caught this thread, let me know if you have any specific questions.

99Bitcoins - We translate Bitcoin into plain English.

Bitrated user: ofir.
Kema

Activity: 630
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2017, 01:34:53 PM

Some ads will cause your cpu to read 100%, it doesn't have to be browser mining.

Don't just short links, ezLink them!
ride22 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:37:28 PM

Hey guys, Ofir here from 99Bitcoins.

I'll be the first to admit that we should have put that notice straight from the start. Thing is that at the time we didn't really know what we were doing and wanted to test some stuff out. In any case, the miner was running for a very short time before we understood the importance of this and put up the notice.

Our faucet is one of the oldest and highest paying faucets around, and with the increasing price of Bitcoin it's getting hard to sustain so we need to get creative with business models from time to time.
It's important to say that the miner was running only on the faucet page and on no other page on the site as well.

For now the miner is disabled, we're still testing it from time to time but it will show a very clear notice if it's running.

Glad I caught this thread, let me know if you have any specific questions.

I appreciate the response, and certainly understand that you are looking for ways to bring it revenue, but not informing the users was a garbage move. 

ofirbeigel

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2017, 05:44:02 PM

I appreciate the response, and certainly understand that you are looking for ways to bring it revenue, but not informing the users was a garbage move. 

People make mistakes, I admit that it was one as you can see from my response. No need to pour salt on the wound Smiley

ride22 (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 02:27:00 PM

People make mistakes, I admit that it was one as you can see from my response. No need to pour salt on the wound Smiley

Wanted to ask you a question before I just quit using the faulcet.  What happened to all of the BTC ballance that I had prior to Oct 29?  Are you all auto deleting anything that is not claimed within a month?
ofirbeigel

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 02:30:44 PM

No,  balances should be saved indefinitely.
In any case I suggest using our contact form and supplying your username so they can look further into this if you think there's an issue.

ride22 (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 02:46:51 PM

No,  balances should be saved indefinitely.
In any case I suggest using our contact form and supplying your username so they can look further into this if you think there's an issue.

I'll give it a shot.
Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: