Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:06:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Be careful of speading misinformation  (Read 5009 times)
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 18, 2010, 11:08:35 PM

I've just finished listening to another Internet radio interview about bitcoin, and although some mistakes should be expected, please avoid spreading the meme that Satoshi is a "world renown" cryptologist.  He is not well known worldwide outside of this bitcoin community, and may not have training in cryptography.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
appamatto

Activity: 36
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 18, 2010, 11:55:12 PM

I've just finished listening to another Internet radio interview about bitcoin, and although some mistakes should be expected, please avoid spreading the meme that Satoshi is a "world renown" cryptologist.  He is not well known worldwide outside of this bitcoin community, and may not have training in cryptography.

Or rather, *nothing* is known about Satoshi outside of bitcoin, and most I've talked to believe it's a pseudonym.

I too was under the impression that Satoshi worked at a university somewhere due to his publishing of the bitcoin details in a paper.  Most non-academic projects don't do this.  When people said Satoshi was just a pseudonym, I was like "No way, there's a paper that lists all of his credentials, etc." and then when I checked I realized the only identifying information in that paper is his email, hosted at a free email provider.  Searches based on that email yield only bitcoin-related results.

Ironically, he is now a world renowned cryptologist.
RHorning

Activity: 224
Merit: 141

View Profile
December 19, 2010, 12:20:13 AM

Please, don't keep spreading the word that Satoshi is from Japan.  While I found a mention of somebody with his name graduating from a high school in New York (on Classmates.com), there is no reason to suspect that is even him either.

Also..... don't say "bitcoin.com", which is a completely different website based off of a completely different concept, but still is electronic currency or at least electronic money exchange.  The confusion is something that I think the "bitcoin.org" community is going to need to confront eventually, but it generally is easy to distinguish between the two ideas.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2010, 01:55:54 AM

Please, don't keep spreading the word that Satoshi is from Japan.  While I found a mention of somebody with his name graduating from a high school in New York (on Classmates.com), there is no reason to suspect that is even him either.

Also..... don't say "bitcoin.com", which is a completely different website based off of a completely different concept, but still is electronic currency or at least electronic money exchange.  The confusion is something that I think the "bitcoin.org" community is going to need to confront eventually, but it generally is easy to distinguish between the two ideas.

Might be a good investment to try to pick it up from that company. I bet it'll be worth a lot more as a bitcoin wallet than whatever is going on there now. Googling "bitcoin.com" give bitcoin.org as the top hit, lol.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
baloney

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2010, 05:04:38 AM

I heard he was born in a mental institution and he sleeps only one hour a night.
Anonymous

December 19, 2010, 05:21:14 AM

Might be a good investment to try to pick it up from that company. I bet it'll be worth a lot more as a bitcoin wallet than whatever is going on there now. Googling "bitcoin.com" give bitcoin.org as the top hit, lol.

I actually placed a backorder on the domain as of last week when I realised it expires soon.

I didnt want to bring it up in case the owner googles it and sees the interest before it expires. If they renew it the other option is to setup a bounty to purchase it from the owner. I did this because I came across a forum where they were saying how crappy bitcoin was and they werent even talking about bitcoin.org

I had to sign up and fix their assumptions based on the wrong domain.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2010, 06:26:08 AM

Please, don't keep spreading the word that Satoshi is from Japan.  While I found a mention of somebody with his name graduating from a high school in New York (on Classmates.com), there is no reason to suspect that is even him either.

Also..... don't say "bitcoin.com", which is a completely different website based off of a completely different concept, but still is electronic currency or at least electronic money exchange.  The confusion is something that I think the "bitcoin.org" community is going to need to confront eventually, but it generally is easy to distinguish between the two ideas.

I actually placed a backorder on the domain as of last week when I realised it expires soon.

I didnt want to bring it up in case the owner googles it and sees the interest before it expires. If they renew it the other option is to setup a bounty to purchase it from the owner. I did this because I came across a forum where they were saying how crappy bitcoin was and they werent even talking about bitcoin.org

I had to sign up and fix their assumptions based on the wrong domain.

Oh, I hope you get it easily. I'm going to tell my grandkids all about how grandpa knew bitcoin was the new money and how I generated 9 blocks ON MY OWN back in 2010. But that's not nearly as cool as owning bitcoin.com.

Anonymous

December 19, 2010, 10:05:22 AM

I have my doubts now Tongue

They havent updated the site for 2 years. At least they should allow it to be used for something as cool as the actual bitcoin project.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
December 19, 2010, 10:07:33 AM

[quote author=FreeMoney link=topic=2350.msg31545#msg31545 date=1292739968

Oh, I hope you get it easily. I'm going to tell my grandkids all about how grandpa knew bitcoin was the new money and how I generated 9 blocks ON MY OWN back in 2010. But that's not nearly as cool as owning bitcoin.com.
[/quote]

And your great-great-great kids, which presumably be something on the order of 55 of them.

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 19, 2010, 10:20:36 AM

Well, he IS now, isn't he ?

Anonymous

December 19, 2010, 10:26:26 AM

Well, he IS now, isn't he ?

he is what?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2010, 10:42:58 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2010, 08:40:45 PM by FreeMoney

And your great-great-great kids, which presumably be something on the order of 55 of them.

I think that's a compliment, but I'm not sure.

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304

View Profile
December 19, 2010, 12:09:30 PM

Is it safe to say Satoshi's paper is based on the work of world reknown cryptologists?  For instance in Satoshi's paper he references Wei Dai who basically wrote the C++ Crypto library.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
December 19, 2010, 02:40:17 PM

I think that's a compliment, but I'm not sure.

You think you only have 72 years but you forget to take into account technological advancement.

JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 12:02:38 AM

I don't know, actually I'm in favor of lying about Satoshi's credentials and also about transactions being completely free to lure people in. People keep buying Big Macs even though they look nothing like the ones from the commercials, don't they?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2010, 12:09:23 AM

I don't know, actually I'm in favor of lying about Satoshi's credentials and also about transactions being completely free to lure people in. People keep buying Big Macs even though they look nothing like the ones from the commercials, don't they?

That's how to run a pyramid scheme, where you're trying to charge money for hot air.  Bitcoin has more merit than that.  Satoshi's work has more value than that.  Let's save the lying for the wongo juice, magic salt water, and the fountain of youth vitamins.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2010, 12:15:20 AM

That's how to run a pyramid scheme, where you're trying to charge money for hot air.  Bitcoin has more merit than that.  Satoshi's work has more value than that.  Let's save the lying for the wongo juice, magic salt water, and the fountain of youth vitamins.

Well, 87% of the surveyed women said that bitcoin did in fact reduce their wrinkles.

JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 12:22:13 AM

Exactly because Bitcoin has tremendous value I think it's ok to lie a little. It's not like people will go "Oh man, Bitcoin is absolute genius!! Oh wait disregard that, Bitcoin sucks because its creator was not famous as I was told".
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2010, 12:22:42 AM

Well, 87% of the surveyed women said that bitcoin did in fact reduce their wrinkles.
100% of the surveyed Bitcoin users said that heating with Bitcoin makes for a nice and cozy home Smiley

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
December 20, 2010, 12:34:15 AM

People aren't stupid. You lie and it will bite you in the ass. Don't we always argue for openness and transparency?
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: