Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:47:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Fork- would this me responsible?  (Read 216 times)
Lifework (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 10:34:06 PM

I just received this email.
We wanted to remind you that the upcoming Bitcoin Segwit2x fork is projected to take place on November 16 and will result in 2 bitcoin blockchains.
In our effort to make Coinbase the most trusted, safe, and easy-to-use digital currency exchange, we are working to ensure we maximize your benefit from this event. So, following the fork:
•   Any user storing Bitcoin on Coinbase at the time of the fork will be credited with an equal amount of the new Bitcoin2x asset on the Bitcoin2x blockchain. No action is required - we will automatically credit your account. If you have 5 Bitcoin stored on Coinbase before the fork, you will have 5 Bitcoin and 5 Bitcoin2x following the event.

•   Coinbase users will be able to trade both Bitcoin and Bitcoin2x shortly after the fork.

•   Coinbase will disable buys, sells, sends and receives for Bitcoin and Bitcoin2x approximately 24 hours before the fork. We will re-enable them following the fork once it’s safe to do so.
For a detailed timeline of events surrounding the fork please see our blog post and FAQ. Thank you,
Coinbase Team

Would it be smart to trade in the 3-4 k in eth for BTC so when it forks i have more of both bitcoin and bitcoin2x? or am i misunderstanding this and its not like free money or stocks?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 10:55:23 PM

or am i misunderstanding this and its not like free money or stocks?
Yes, you're misunderstanding this.  Forks don't have to have any value - they have value because people perceive them to.  There are people who believe that SegWit2x is relevant and that the 2MB hard fork is required, and those people will be buying the coins that other people sell.

Also, because so many other people have this strange misconception, the price increases quite dramatically soon before the fork as people anticipate it happening.  They see the fact that there is a fork but they don't see what the fork actually is.  So you wouldn't be getting any advantage by trying to follow along with all of those people.

Also, you seem to be talking about trading in order to gain this money, which is something that you could be doing at pretty much any time, not just when BTC is experiencing a major event.
Lifework (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 12:06:36 AM

or am i misunderstanding this and its not like free money or stocks?
Yes, you're misunderstanding this.  Forks don't have to have any value - they have value because people perceive them to.  There are people who believe that SegWit2x is relevant and that the 2MB hard fork is required, and those people will be buying the coins that other people sell.

Also, because so many other people have this strange misconception, the price increases quite dramatically soon before the fork as people anticipate it happening.  They see the fact that there is a fork but they don't see what the fork actually is.  So you wouldn't be getting any advantage by trying to follow along with all of those people.

Also, you seem to be talking about trading in order to gain this money, which is something that you could be doing at pretty much any time, not just when BTC is experiencing a major event.

I found this on Bitcoin Cash:

I If I own Bitcoin, do I automatically own Bitcoin Cash too?

Anyone who held Bitcoin at the time Bitcoin Cash was created became owners of Bitcoin Cash. This means that Bitcoin holders as of block 478558 (August 1st, 2017 about 13:16 UTC) have the same amount of Bitcoin Cash as they had Bitcoin at that time. If your Bitcoins are stored by a third party such as an exchange, then you must inquire with them about your Bitcoin Cash.

Any transactions after the August 1st ledger split are completely separate between Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash. This means any Bitcoin acquired after the split does not include any Bitcoin Cash, and any Bitcoin Cash does not include any Bitcoin.came across this when researching BTC Cash. It seems identical to what i posted above only they are valuing the 

I dont understand how the post i found on BTC Cash fork is any different thaan what im asking about? BTC Cash is grwoing in value daily or is $564 going to crash into nothing?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: