Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:26:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you buy a hardware wallet like the Trezor?
Yes - 20 (46.5%)
No - 11 (25.6%)
not sure yet - 12 (27.9%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardware wallet?  (Read 1797 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 04:23:56 PM

They are now taking pre-orders for the Trezor bitcoin hardware wallet.

http://www.coindesk.com/trezor-now-taking-pre-orders-for-its-hardware-bitcoin-wallet/

What do you think? Would you buy one? 1 BTC for a plastic case version in November or 3 BTC for aluminum in October.

I am undecided on it. It could be one of those things that I did not know I needed until I use it, but am still unsure. I use paper wallets for long term storage and online wallets for short term spending money. A hardware wallet would be handy as a replacement for using online wallets.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 04:38:15 PM

No (and these are just reasons why I won't);

I think it's ugly as sin.
They named it after this crap, intentionally or no.
Nothing on the site actually says what it does.
No way to know the open code released is the same code running on the hardware.
It's $300US for a RasPi/Arduino?!

Also, f'ing PREORDERS... can we just call it PRECOIN and be done with it  Huh

[/rage]

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
peto

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:21:22 PM

"trezor" means "safe" (noun) so I doubt they tried to make fake Louis Vuitton wallet. But if they did you are right it's ugly and nobody would wear it Grin
suryc

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

Play2Live pre-sale starts on January 25th

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:47:45 PM

Am I missing something here? What's the point of something like this when I can just have an app on my smartphone...

I mean if it had biometric authentication or something that might be different, but this just has two buttons. It doesn't even look like you can password protect it.

edit: I watched the video, so its more clear to me now, but still seems like if you lose the trezor its like losing a paper backup of your wallet(s). If the device allowed for an additional layer of authentication, it would be better.

PLAY
            ▄██████████████▄
          ▄██▀▀██████████████▄
        ▄██▀    ▀██████████████▄
      ▄██▀        ▀██████████████▄
    ▄██▀   ██████▄  ▀██████████████▄
  ▄██▀          ██    ▀██████████████▄
 ███       ▄█████▀      ███████████████
  ▀██▄    ▐██         ▄██████████████▀
    ▀██▄  ▐██████▌  ▄██████████████▀
      ▀██▄        ▄██████████████▀
        ▀██▄    ▄██████████████▀
          ▀██▄▄██████████████▀
            ▀██████████████▀
LIVE
██████
███▀▀▀
███

███
███▄▄▄
██████
██████
▀▀▀███
███

███
▄▄▄███
██████
bit777

Activity: 420

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:51:46 PM

Looks like a very interesting gadget. As long as it is secured, it can help the community.
bitcoinchecker

Activity: 182

Provider of Bitcoin products and services

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 08:14:34 PM

I really like this product.

It is a great first step towards solving one of the current big problems associated with Bitcoin i.e. user-friendly security measures

It might need a few tweaks – both technically and aesthetically – but it is a step in the right direction.

Quality Bitcoin T-shirts for sale http://thevillageidiotme.ipage.com/shop.html
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 08:27:10 PM

Looks really cool I'll probably get one after you can order it now.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:38:29 PM

haven't looked into it, I want a network hardware wallet that can do safe remote transactions instead of me having to use double signed txn with an OT server. if this works over a network at all I'd be interested
cor

Activity: 121

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 09:12:29 PM

Hello, just came across this thread, if you already have your answers, great, if not, just for the record...

I use paper wallets for long term storage and online wallets for short term spending money. A hardware wallet would be handy as a replacement for using online wallets.

I recommend to go through the FAQ of TREZOR, there's a lot explained, especially the difference between trezor and paper backups, usb drives, yubikeys and that sort of stuff.
http://www.bitcointrezor.com/faq/#comparing-trezor

edit: I watched the video, so its more clear to me now, but still seems like if you lose the trezor its like losing a paper backup of your wallet(s). If the device allowed for an additional layer of authentication, it would be better.

Not really. Even when you lose trezor (and or your computer at the same time), you can recover the entire wallet and the trasaction history to a new trezor device.

quote from the FAQ:
"If your computer gets stolen, just plug your TREZOR to another computer and you'll get your account balance and transaction history. Might your TREZOR get lost as well, simply recover the seed from your paper backup to a new computer and then transfer it to a new wallet. "

No (and these are just reasons why I won't);

I think it's ugly as sin.
They named it after this crap, intentionally or no.
Nothing on the site actually says what it does.
No way to know the open code released is the same code running on the hardware.
It's $300US for a RasPi/Arduino?!

Also, f'ing PREORDERS... can we just call it PRECOIN and be done with it  Huh

[/rage]

threeip, im sorry to hear you dont like the design. maybe you like the new design of metallics?
http://www.bitcointrezor.com/news/first-metallics-arrived
but im sure it will do exactly what it should do and thats the purpose.

LV bags are ugly as sin so the answer is NO Smiley we named TREZOR like that because its a slovak / czech word for a safe.

We have built the FAQ that hopefully responds to all basic questions. Might you have more, just write us an email and we'll respond or ventually add to the FAQ if its missing.

If you dont trust the code, you can review it yourself or ask somebody to do so.

will1982

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 10:37:32 PM

Looks cool, but I think paper wallets are sufficient for now
btcusr

Activity: 405
Merit: 255

@_vjy

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 01:43:40 AM

Yes, if $20 or less.

Nixsy

Activity: 151

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2013, 01:49:12 AM

No doubt if it can be put onto a raspberry pi it can be ported to android. Its a nice idea but I think the cost far outweighs the production cost and practical use.

illpoet

Activity: 341

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 04:38:18 AM

i would be all about the treyzor for .25 btc or less.  and i agree, holy crap what is up with preorders and bitcoin?  I guess for startup companies any way to accumulate capital is ok, but for me as a consumer im really sick of laying money down for a product that i may get in 1 month or 1 year or possibly never.  I do see how the treyzor or something like it that would allow users to store/xfer bitcoins hassle free could really help in mainstream adoption.  At this point tho i have an encrypted cold wallet in a friends gun safe and another copy buried in an undisclosed location. Thats security enough for me.

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 07:25:15 AM

No doubt if it can be put onto a raspberry pi it can be ported to android. Its a nice idea but I think the cost far outweighs the production cost and practical use.

You would be defeating the security by porting it to a device like android. The whole point is that it in itself is secure. It's not a replacement for using an online wallet however. It's intended for signing, so you would keep your 'wallet' on Armory for example and then when you go to spend money you need to plug in the trezor to sign your keys.

more or less retired.
p2pbucks

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 07:40:51 AM

i ll buy it if no less than 10$
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 12:45:06 PM

If all you want to spend is $10, then you don't have enough money to make the security offered by a hardware wallet like trezor worthwhile. When you start holding 100K plus dollars worth of BTC on a single piece of paper, then you will understand what a hardware wallet is for AND be will to pay 2BTC for it.

more or less retired.
habeel

Activity: 6

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 01:56:45 PM

As someone pointed out it could be useful for people who want to hold huge amounts of BTC securely. But its about time we got a serious Bitcoin Bank who actually insures deposits.
MoneyGod

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 02:01:41 PM

I will give this to a try if its in my reach in near future

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 02:29:53 PM

i would be all about the treyzor for .25 btc or less.  and i agree, holy crap what is up with preorders and bitcoin?  I guess for startup companies any way to accumulate capital is ok, but for me as a consumer im really sick of laying money down for a product that i may get in 1 month or 1 year or possibly never.

That's because you're not simply a consumer but also, and most importantly, an investor.

Signature space available for rent.
manilaenvelope

Activity: 9

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 12:14:05 AM

It IS no less than $10.  It is MORE than $10.  Maybe you meant "I'll buy it if it's no more than $10"?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: