Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:04:38 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mtgox safe to keep coins  (Read 1482 times)
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:15:56 PM

Wow!  That was a good explanation.  So the difference between an online and offline wallet is the location of your "private keys"?  ie, with an online wallet they are stored on a server and you access them via your identifying credentials for that website, and with an offline wallet they are stored on your hard drive or written down somewhere?

Yep, you got that right, Smiley.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 08:20:35 PM

Wow!  That was a good explanation.  So the difference between an online and offline wallet is the location of your "private keys"?  ie, with an online wallet they are stored on a server and you access them via your identifying credentials for that website, and with an offline wallet they are stored on your hard drive or written down somewhere?

One refinement: there's an online wallet, where everything is on a server somewhere. Then there's a local wallet, such as the Bitcoin-Qt client or Electrum, where your private keys are stored on your hard drive. This is sometimes referred to as an "offline wallet," but there's a third category too, where your private keys are stored somewhere (such as on paper) that is never connected to the Internet, meaning that the only way somebody could get your keys would be to physically break into wherever they're stored. That's a truly offline wallet.

Patar

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:25:19 PM

Yes, i think is a secure place
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:27:03 PM

One refinement: there's an online wallet, where everything is on a server somewhere. Then there's a local wallet, such as the Bitcoin-Qt client or Electrum, where your private keys are stored on your hard drive. This is sometimes referred to as an "offline wallet," but there's a third category too, where your private keys are stored somewhere (such as on paper) that is never connected to the Internet, meaning that the only way somebody could get your keys would be to physically break into wherever they're stored. That's a truly offline wallet.

You quoted a post that already had all of those in it, XD. You just reiterated it, :p.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 08:28:55 PM

You quoted a post that already had all of those in it, XD. You just reiterated it, :p.

I know, just trying to draw the distinction between a local wallet and an actual offline wallet. I think it's an important separation of concepts. Smiley

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:31:31 PM

I know, just trying to draw the distinction between a local wallet and an actual offline wallet. I think it's an important separation of concepts. Smiley

Got ya! I think there's also hybrid online wallets but I don't know enough about them (supposedly it's like the key is handled client-side or something).

pvtbrutus

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:34:40 PM

Got ya! I think there's also hybrid online wallets but I don't know enough about them (supposedly it's like the key is handled client-side or something).
Blockchain wallet is considered a hybrid. For example they dont have the password. If you lose the password they cant reset it either.
llamahats

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:37:02 PM

So is it possible to transfer btc from an online wallet to an offline wallet?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that purchasing bitcoins at some point requires the transmission of information over the internet, right?  Are the private keys for those same bitcoins changed when they are moved from the network to an offline wallet, so that the keys in their final form have never existed on a server?
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 08:42:38 PM

So is it possible to transfer btc from an online wallet to an offline wallet?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that purchasing bitcoins at some point requires the transmission of information over the internet, right?  Are the private keys for those same bitcoins changed when they are moved from the network to an offline wallet, so that the keys in their final form have never existed on a server?

You can buy Bitcoins without touching the Internet if you buy them in person, in cash. Generally, though, it's easiest to buy them online.

The private keys aren't associated with the Bitcoins themselves, but rather with the addresses, so your offline wallet will have a different set of private keys than your online wallet. To move BTC from an online wallet to an offline one, you'd send your BTC to any address that belongs to your offline wallet. Those funds are then attached to your offline wallet, even though it's offline, because the addresses where the coins are located belong to your offline wallet. The only time you'll need the private keys is to send those Bitcoins somewhere else.

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 08:43:53 PM

Wow!  That was a good explanation.  So the difference between an online and offline wallet is the location of your "private keys"?  ie, with an online wallet they are stored on a server and you access them via your identifying credentials for that website, and with an offline wallet they are stored on your hard drive or written down somewhere?

Yeah, Electrum and MultiBit both use online copies of the blockchain, and just store your private keys and labels and such locally, so they're sort of hybrids. Bitcoin-Qt, the original client, still downloads the entire blockchain. I tend to lump all three of these into the "local wallet" category, the crucial thing being that your keys are always local, so you don't ever have to trust to the security of some stranger's website.

Falkor

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:44:23 PM

Safe, somewhat. I wouldnt hold too many there though.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 09:30:39 PM

Yeah, Electrum and MultiBit both use online copies of the blockchain, and just store your private keys and labels and such locally, so they're sort of hybrids. Bitcoin-Qt, the original client, still downloads the entire blockchain. I tend to lump all three of these into the "local wallet" category, the crucial thing being that your keys are always local, so you don't ever have to trust to the security of some stranger's website.

I hadn't thought of Electrum and MultiBit. That helps explain a lot. I use both but never really understood how they work, just that they do (... probably not a good thing to not understand it when I'm trusting it, lol).

VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 09:56:15 PM

Mtgox and safe should never be used in the same sentence.  Using an oxymoron of such magnitude is bound to rip the universe in half.  Be careful out there, kid.

CompNsci

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:51:51 PM

The whitepaper is actually a pretty good read to start understanding these things:

http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

ScopeXL

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:55:23 PM

I've always been paranoid to keep my coins on a place like gox. I'm sure there are wallet services out there that are safe enough but for me I'll stick with my cold storage technique for the time being.
yoMamma

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 12:25:03 AM

I would not trust mtgox!
woodle

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:26:28 AM

no. it's policy (of withdraw or something else) may change.
reubano

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:03:49 AM

I'll add that I think it's a good idea to have two off-line wallets. Secured one by saving it in an encrypted disk image on your hard drive and keep the majority of your bitcoins there. The other wallet should be treated as insecure since someone who hacks into your computer from the internet can steal your private key if they know where to look.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:03:54 AM

I'll add that I think it's a good idea to have two off-line wallets. Secured one by saving it in an encrypted disk image on your hard drive and keep the majority of your bitcoins there. The other wallet should be treated as insecure since someone who hacks into your computer from the internet can steal your private key if they know where to look.

This would be the idea of "hot wallet" and "cold storage" if anyone cares, :p.

jeannie

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:08:43 AM

No where is safe, except backup on a USB and keep the USB safe. Best to keep 2 USB one as backup if you have lots of Bitcoins

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: