Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:48:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Few Newbie Questions on Electrum  (Read 216 times)
snailrider (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 05:51:23 AM

Hello - I'm still new and despite reading previous threads some of my questions are unanswered.

I'm thinking of transitioning my bitcoin from an online exchange site to electrum to be able to benefit from upcoming hard fork. Previously this said exchange site just swallowed the new currencies and I'm fed up with it.

Hence, I plan to install the watch-only (online) + cold storage offline wallet combo from Electrum. Since i have never done these I have a few things unclear:

0) I want to keep my BTC for looooooong time without transacting - just like a savings account. Is the above combo ideal for my needs?
1) will i need to set the seed (passphrase) to both watch-only and cold wallet? Do they have to be the same?
2) I keep reading about how important backups are. I assume I totally need to backup my offline cold storage. But does it make sense to backup the watch-only wallet too?
3) When I install these wallets how much GB they will take up roughly? I have an old but still reliable machine with limited storage so wonder if I hit a ceiling
4) when I transfer from the exchange site, do I need to "receive coin" from the online wallet or from the cold wallet? Where do I send it to?
4.5) I understand sending funds needs to be signed by the offline wallet. But do I have to sign received funds too?
5) Does the online wallet need to be online most times and would it generate all kind of constant internet traffic in the gigabytes per month?
6) in the future when I want to sell it,  how do I transfer it back to the exchange site?

Cheers
Snailrider

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 06:12:38 AM

0) I want to keep my BTC for looooooong time without transacting - just like a savings account. Is the above combo ideal for my needs?

Yes it is.

1) will i need to set the seed (passphrase) to both watch-only and cold wallet? Do they have to be the same?
No, You will have one seed and one public master key. Read more here: http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/coldstorage.html

2) I keep reading about how important backups are. I assume I totally need to backup my offline cold storage. But does it make sense to backup the watch-only wallet too?
Your public master key is linked with your seed(wallet).

3) When I install these wallets how much GB they will take up roughly?
Less than an 1 MB.

4) when I transfer from the exchange site, do I need to "receive coin" from the online wallet or from the cold wallet? Where do I send it to?
Your watch only wallet will show your offline cold storage addresses, so you don't have to worry about anything.

4.5) I understand sending funds needs to be signed by the offline wallet. But do I have to sign received funds too?
No You only have to sign when you are sending, not at the time of receiving.

5) Does the online wallet need to be online most times and would it generate all kind of constant internet traffic in the gigabytes per month?
No it doesn't and it won't generate GB's worth of traffic.

6) in the future when I want to sell it,  how do I transfer it back to the exchange site?
Simply by signing a transaction from your offline wallet and broadcasting it from any blockchain explorer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: