Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:17:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie q re B2X fork: Coinbase or after?  (Read 201 times)
m3110w (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 08:28:36 AM

Hi All,

I'm a non-technical person. My understanding is that I don't need to put my BTC onto Coinbase or some other exchange in order to get my B2X. Is that true?

My understanding is that if I decide not to put my BTC onto Coinbase, then after the Nov 16 Segwit fork, I can somehow use my BTC private keys to get my share of B2X. Is this true? If it is, how difficult will it be for a non-techie like me to use my BTC private keys to get my share of B2X after the fork?

Any websites giving details about how I can use my BTC private keys to get my B2X after the fork?

Any support on this most appreciated.
TheGodson

Activity: 383
Merit: 161

https://nitrogensports.eu/r/4896627

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 09:07:05 AM

What happens is the coin is splitting into two coins, so you don't have to do anything. If you hold 101 BTCs then you will receive the equivalent 101 B2Xs. If they are stored in your personal wallet then the private key will be the same for both BTC and B2X.

Coinbase has spoken and said they will honor the split. It is up to you to trust them though. I personally believe them.

Overall, I think you are safe to receive B2X whether you keep your bitcoins are on Coinbase or in a personal wallet. You don't have to do anything "special" either.

After the split:
If you have your bitcoin in a personal wallet I'm not sure how you will be able to move your B2X around right away. If I was you, I'd move BTC first into a separate wallet and then deal with B2X. Move BTC first.

If the private key gets compromised in a transaction, losing B2X should be less of a big deal than losing BTC.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: