Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:35:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which graphics card - vanilla or mining edition - GTX1060/1050 versus RX470  (Read 1226 times)
lankyman (OP)

Activity: 382
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 08:49:44 AM

Hi, i want to get 1 or 2 cards, butnot sure if I must get really entry level low power cards like GTX 1050/ti 2GB or 4Gb depending....
Or do i get these mining edition cards which are out - RX470 ASUS / GIGABYTE Mining Edition or GTX1060 Mining Edition.
Really not sure.

I am okay with either....really but which is a bigger con or which is a better win?
Power and performance wise?

Can i just get a regular cheapest GTX 1060 3GB 1 or 2 fan model? i would imagine 2 fan is better?
Or do i go ahead and run with AMD RX470 the mining edition cards....
really not sure here
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RealSwissMiner

Activity: 336
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2017, 09:44:56 AM

The AMD cards will be harder to set up properly. Nvidia cards are basically just plug and mine.
The 1060 is probably the better all-rounder and I would definitely go for the 2 fan solution.

Mining and investment blog - https://swisscryptominer.blogspot.ch
lankyman (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 09:57:16 AM

Thanks for the reply

Why are AMD harder to set up i dont get it -  im just asking
I am just asking, is this the reason u say get GTX 1060 instead?

I just hope for eample, they are not weak compared to the RX470.

RealSwissMiner

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2017, 10:13:19 AM

You will need to flash the BIOS for the RX cards in order to achieve the best possible performance. Flashing the BIOS to optimize the RAM latency settings. You can find many guided online.

The RX card will be better for ETH or alike coins as well for cryptonight coins.

Nvidia is easier to setup and better for equihash. Basically you’ll need to decide what you want to mine.

lankyman (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 10:21:35 AM

You will need to flash the BIOS for the RX cards in order to achieve the best possible performance. Flashing the BIOS to optimize the RAM latency settings. You can find many guided online.

The RX card will be better for ETH or alike coins as well for cryptonight coins.

Nvidia is easier to setup and better for equihash. Basically you’ll need to decide what you want to mine.

Cool the Nvidia's are about 300 rand less sio maybe ill just get an Nvidia.
2 fan version rather hey?

U reckon the GTX 1060 is fine right ? 3GB.
For me i just dont want to pay over 4 grand for a card its ridiculous.

I am just making sure i dont make a mistakle buying nvidia as apposed to AMD BUT maybe its good for to test the waters...
I used to have a GTX 650 , what a useless slow card , and then all the miners i wanted to use were only for AMD which is why i bought 1 RX470 card.

the i see they are impossible to get again so i can buy a second card, but i then see they have these mining editions not sure if they inferior or gimicks or if they are the same design and speed and stuff
but if you reckon GTX 1060 is good enough then maybe i can go for it.
will it work in my machine with my RX 470?

I believe it should....
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 10:27:35 AM

Normal version cards are easier to resell. If you are going to mone eth then dont go for the 3gb card unless you want to upgrade again in the coming months. Gtx1060 6GB cards are great. I had five of them until i began to reinvest and go for 1070’s to consolidate my rigs without switching to GDDR5X mem in 1080’s.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
lankyman (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 10:47:53 AM

Normal version cards are easier to resell. If you are going to mone eth then dont go for the 3gb card unless you want to upgrade again in the coming months. Gtx1060 6GB cards are great. I had five of them until i began to reinvest and go for 1070’s to consolidate my rigs without switching to GDDR5X mem in 1080’s.

I dont have budget for 6GB but i know what u mean, rather just pay now and they the right shit.
but i dont have the budget and the shops here are greedy bastards so i am not going to pay their price for a 6gb version

Ether mine should be fine for now before it reaches 3 i guess..... and by then i would be mining that coin anyways it might be POS and it may even be too hard i might as well be doing Equihash instead right ?
yuo can train me
baga105

Activity: 362

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:23:49 AM

I dont have budget for 6GB but i know what u mean, rather just pay now and they the right shit.
but i dont have the budget and the shops here are greedy bastards so i am not going to pay their price for a 6gb version

Ether mine should be fine for now before it reaches 3 i guess..... and by then i would be mining that coin anyways it might be POS and it may even be too hard i might as well be doing Equihash instead right ?
yuo can train me

You will be fine with 3gb cards until Nov 18 they say.. You can try mining some other algorthyms with 3 gb cards (Equihash) and you will be getting almost the same rewards.

Ass, Gas or Grass! No one rides for free!
oddity2505

Activity: 120
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 06:37:08 PM

yuo can train me

Yes, it's long until you won't be able to mine ethereum with 3gb cards. But most likely you won't even be doing at all if you but gtx 1060. They rarely come with samsung memory anymore, so you can expect less than 20 mhs and very low profit. So better go with other algorithms. 3 gb versions are only 5-10% slower than 6gb cards, so if the price differs more than that - go for 3gb.
lankyman (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 07:04:25 PM

yuo can train me

You will be fine with 3gb cards until Nov 18 they say.. You can try mining some other algorthyms with 3 gb cards (Equihash) and you will be getting almost the same rewards.

So you guys reckon along with the cheese mining guy, that if i get Nvidia its a decent buy ?
I mean can we debate which is a better buy , the Nvidia or the AMD?
I am sad the RX470s are hard to get  or actually almost impossible as they have been discontinued.
Its just after i saw that there are mining versions here  that i thought , hey, are these good?\
some say yeh they good.I also wish i can flash my current AMD RX470, but i tried it last time and i only gt1-2 megahashes more, i mean fuck sake.
I was told there is more that u can do, more tweaking and not just boot straps.
I dont get it, and i wish it was not that risky also, im scared of bricking
Muskrat

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 07:32:21 PM

I am just get started and
Looking right now at the Gtx1060 6GB and I see there are SSC, FTW+ and FTW2.
I am a little lost at which one would be better and the FTW's are $110 difference.
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 07:37:00 PM

The 3GB and 6GB cards of 1060 have not a lot of difference in mining Equihash algorithm, only 10-15 sol/s more does the 6 GB version. Even in Ethereum although the difference is bigger is not that big still, only 1.5-2 Mhash more when overclocked to max settings both cards, 3GB does 22.5 Mhash and 6 GB does 24 Mhash. You only get 9 Mhash plus in total if you have 6 cards, if you have less the Mhash impact your earnings only a little.

You don't go wrong for 3GB cards, personally all my GTX 1060 are 3 GB and that is a decision I have made, why paying more than 100 Euro plus for almost nothing more.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
lankyman (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 08:09:27 PM

The 3GB and 6GB cards of 1060 have not a lot of difference in mining Equihash algorithm, only 10-15 sol/s more does the 6 GB version. Even in Ethereum although the difference is bigger is not that big still, only 1.5-2 Mhash more when overclocked to max settings both cards, 3GB does 22.5 Mhash and 6 GB does 24 Mhash. You only get 9 Mhash plus in total if you have 6 cards, if you have less the Mhash impact your earnings only a little.

You don't go wrong for 3GB cards, personally all my GTX 1060 are 3 GB and that is a decision I have made, why paying more than 100 Euro plus for almost nothing more.

Great thanks , i will go for them them. I will get 1 for now and then maybe another later.
I wanted to get the AMD RX470 ASUS mining edition which is about 4100 in my currency and then i saw the GTX 1060 for 3699 ,i mean if i save 400 bucks i will take.
As long as they perform very closely... so wanted to be sure.
What is Zotac like? They have the Zotax 2 fan 3GB version.
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 08:27:28 PM

Great thanks , i will go for them them. I will get 1 for now and then maybe another later.
I wanted to get the AMD RX470 ASUS mining edition which is about 4100 in my currency and then i saw the GTX 1060 for 3699 ,i mean if i save 400 bucks i will take.
As long as they perform very closely... so wanted to be sure.
What is Zotac like? They have the Zotax 2 fan 3GB version.

Zotac is good. They have both dual fan and single fan cards. I suggest to get always dual fan graphic cards for mining as dual fans have better cooling. Anyway the Zotac is the cheapest card and I have not tried them in mining.

My favorites in mining are as follows:
Gainward 3 GB -290 sol/s Zcash  and 22.45 Mhash in Ethereum (overclocked)
Palit Stormx 3GB 280-287 sol/s Zcash and 22.37 Mhash in Ethereum  (overclocked)
Gigabyte 3 GB 270-285 sol/s Zcash and 22.4 Mhash in Ethereum (overclocked)

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
Pendrak

Activity: 208
Merit: 46

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 09:47:11 PM

Copy and paste a strap and flash a bios is hard?

My god...

Go for the 570 cards, those are the best ones, if you have more money get the RX 580, are really cheap right now, SAPPHIRE and MSI ones are the best of all.
RealSwissMiner

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2017, 09:55:27 PM

My god...

Go for the 570 cards, those are the best ones, if you have more money get the RX 580, are really cheap right now, SAPPHIRE and MSI ones are the best of all.

It's not hard, just more work. Also if you want optimal settings coping straps will not do it. I found the RX 570 to have a better efficiency compared to the RX 580 - but again it all depends on your energy costs.

lankyman (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:17:29 PM

Would u okay this card?
https://www.evetech.co.za/msi-gtx-1060-oc-3gb/best-deal/2110.aspx
https://www.evetech.co.za/buy-msi-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-dual-fan/best-deal/3101.aspx
lankyman (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:19:14 PM

My god...

I thought the RX5 series were rubbish which is why i avoided them and rather went wit RX4 whatever i could get.

Anyways, i found theses guys,

Would u okay them card?
https://www.evetech.co.za/buy-msi-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-dual-fan/best-deal/3101.aspx

Its the price i am looking for around 3500
lankyman (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:22:17 PM

My god...

It's not hard, just more work. Also if you want optimal settings coping straps will not do it. I found the RX 570 to have a better efficiency compared to the RX 580 - but again it all depends on your energy costs.

Interesting, so u reckon the strap copying is not just it? there is actually more stuff to mod before u really do see a jump of a few megahashes.
Cause i could never understand this, i watch some you tube video of a Russian dude and get gets like 28 mega hashes from a strap copy only with Samsung memory , same as me, i just dont get it
i tried it and i got like 1-2 increase.

so Swiss cheese guy, what do u think about this find?
Would u okay these card?

OR
https://www.takealot.com/zotac-geforce-gtx1060-3gb-gddr5-192bit-amp-graphics-card/PLID46664152
RealSwissMiner

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2017, 07:03:54 AM

My god...

Interesting, so u reckon the strap copying is not just it? there is actually more stuff to mod before u really do see a jump of a few megahashes.
Cause i could never understand this, i watch some you tube video of a Russian dude and get gets like 28 mega hashes from a strap copy only with Samsung memory , same as me, i just dont get it
i tried it and i got like 1-2 increase.

so Swiss cheese guy, what do u think about this find?
Would u okay these card?

OR
https://www.takealot.com/zotac-geforce-gtx1060-3gb-gddr5-192bit-amp-graphics-card/PLID46664152

You need custom timing for optimal performance.

It was already all said, with a GTX1060 3GB you will not be able to mine ETH alike coins soonish. But the GTX1060 3GB has a very good price/performance ratio for equihash.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: