Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 11:41:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Questions  (Read 598 times)
Quicker_777 (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 09:55:18 PM

I'm relatively new to mining, as I've only been mining using a pool (Coin-o-tron) for a month and a half now, and I just did it as a lark to see if my super low hash-rate computer would do anything. 

It hasn't.  The interface displays my stats in Mh, which I'm assuming is not a good sign, especially since its in the single-digits.   Sad

I'm thinking that the only way to mine now effectively, would be to purchase space (or re-purpose personal space in your apartment or home) to store 10 industrial-strength servers side-by-side to participate in a mining pool.  Is everybody mining in a pool?  If so, what are the most reputable ones? 

If not, how does one set up a mining operation on a single stand-alone PC. 

Another random question - does the speed of the internet connection matter?  I wouldn't think so, but I'm not 100% on this.  Can anybody comment? 

FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:09:26 PM

I'm relatively new to mining, as I've only been mining using a pool (Coin-o-tron) for a month and a half now, and I just did it as a lark to see if my super low hash-rate computer would do anything. 

It hasn't.  The interface displays my stats in Mh, which I'm assuming is not a good sign, especially since its in the single-digits.   Sad

I'm thinking that the only way to mine now effectively, would be to purchase space (or re-purpose personal space in your apartment or home) to store 10 industrial-strength servers side-by-side to participate in a mining pool.  Is everybody mining in a pool?  If so, what are the most reputable ones? 

Another random question - does the speed of the internet connection matter?  I wouldn't think so, but I'm not 100% on this.  Can anybody comment? 

The biggest issue is the power requirements... can your apartment's circuitry handle the load... you don't want to burn your house down.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Quicker_777 (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:31:17 PM

I'm assuming it can - most of the posted pics of the home mining rigs I've seen contain like 8 or so servers in a garage. 
Rhium

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:35:33 PM

The internet connection doesn´t matter at all.

Don´t mine with servers, the options is Amd Gpu which will soon be inefficient, the best way to mine is to use an asic, google it if you don´t know what it is. The different asics is for butteflylabs and avalon, the cheapest is 279$ with a hashrate of 5000MH/s . But it will take very long time to get the asics.
But if you still want to use GPU use a 7950 or 7970(if you can get 5750 is pretty good for its price) and start mining Litecoins, or some other scrypt based currency
ScopeXL

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:42:22 PM

I've been mining for a few months now. I have 6 AMD 7950's that average between 500-550 Mh/s. From the bitcoin hardware mining comparison you can get a glimpse of the graphics card that would best suit your need for a rig. I don't believe servers would be a good mining choice since they usually don't have graphics cards in them. So my 2 cents would be look over the chart here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison and make a decision off that. With my 6 cards I currently mine at 3.1 Gh/s and with the pool I'm in get between .09 and .12 bitcoins per day. Best of luck to you!
moisesmcardona

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 11:55:34 PM

I'm using a 24-Core server (12 cores per processor) which stays at up to 40MHash/s using just the CPU since it doesn't have an OpenCL card...
yoMamma

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 12:55:52 AM

be careful and don't burn your house down
moisesmcardona

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:05:42 AM

Don't worry. It is perfectly fine with 100% air conditioning.
yoMamma

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:11:31 AM

ok cheers and happy mining Smiley
a1phanumrc

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:17:53 AM

lol. You're going to spend 100x more on electricity to cool the room than you'll make in the lifetime of the machine.

CPU mining is dead. GPU mining is pretty much dead. ASIC is the only way to be profitable, but good luck finding one.

BC tips: BA1phaSEpCN7jiSS33SSWXf3Bs1rP9SKir
moisesmcardona

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:20:25 AM

The server is not in my house BTW. It is an unused server I administrate and have full control of.
duz

Activity: 35

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:21:25 AM

mining single digit hash-rates will work EVENTUALLY. you would want to find a PPS pool if you want to see consistent results, although most pools won't let you withdraw very small amounts of btc, so you could be mining for months before you reach that minimum limit.....

mining with CPU's is not a good idea generally, the cost to benefit ratio is very small, and they use much more energy than a GPU will. As previously mentioned in the thread, you will want to keep an eye on power usage, and for large scale mining operations (especially with CPU or GPU based mining outfits) your limit is dependent on the houses cabling.

either ASICs [sarcasm](Place an order now, and receive one next year!)[/sarcasm] or GPUs can be used, you just need to have a motherboard and either a 'milk crate' or a box that is capable of housing the cards you want. Depending on how much you plan to invest will determine the best setup for you. They range from single cards that can get 600MH/s, through to multi card setups of several GH/s

if you are mining on a pool, then internet speed plays a 'bigger' part than if you are solo mining, since you are sending shares more often, but is still largely irrelevant. Having a low ping is more important, but even then the difference between high and low ping is very small. You are basically just trying to beat every other miner to submit the solution, so if two miners solve the same block at the exact same time, the miner with the lowest ping usually will submit first. This happens VERY rarely, so it should bear little weight to any future decisions...
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:59:54 AM

Err, I think he was talking about overloading your power supply lines. Air conditioning will not stop overloaded conductors from getting dangerously hot and melting insulators. (In fact the extra load will make matters worse.)

MashRinx

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:20:13 AM

I'm using a 24-Core server (12 cores per processor) which stays at up to 40MHash/s using just the CPU since it doesn't have an OpenCL card...

There are a couple recently-released 'alternate' coins that are much more CPU friendly that you might want to consider looking at.  I think YACoin might be the most recent.  This isn't me saying you should, but saying you might want to.

Regarding the 'don't burn your house down' comments, you mentioned in the OP a single stand-alone PC.  That's going to have to be one heck of a single PC to raise that kind of concern, at least assuming your are in the US and on a standard 15 amp residential circuit.  Of course, always use caution and be reasonable when dealing with power, but a multi-GPU machine should be fine on a normal circuit unless you are running a lot of other equipment on that same circuit.
Quicker_777 (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:14:21 AM

Best answer is to build our own.  It's disappointing a bit, because very few of us have the time to learn how to manufacture our own rigs. 

Thanks for the feedback.   Smiley
a1phanumrc

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:19:07 AM

Best answer is to build our own.  It's disappointing a bit, because very few of us have the time to learn how to manufacture our own rigs. 

It's really not that hard and I'm sure you'll find enough help here along the way. Wink

BC tips: BA1phaSEpCN7jiSS33SSWXf3Bs1rP9SKir
kevindeangelis

Activity: 448
Merit: 130

3D-Printing goes Blockchain!

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:20:24 AM

I recently set up a little rig with a singe 7950 in it.
I also set up a little site that helps with determining what your profits would be on various coins: www.WhereToMine.com
hope it helps!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: