Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:28:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling off my mining rigs  (Read 8030 times)
NetTecture

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:06:25 PM

I think the OP hasn't thought this through.  He's selling his mining gear because it's not worth mining any more, on a Bitcoin mining forum  Wink

Speaking of getting rid of hardware, I too am downsizing, although listing elsewhere to sell my graphics cards and other bits.  Employing $1000 of hardware to eek out maybe $5 a day after power and tax doesn't strike me as especially effective.

This is partly a problem of mom and pop basement operations that neither are tax regiestered (paying sales tax / VAT) nor get industrial power.

Just comparing my own plans to a home guy 20km further down the road:

* I look for a room with water access for ingoing chillers (cooling air into the room, air out will be dumped to the environment) Wink Happens I live on a harbor city.
* I will pay about 25% to 20% of the power costs he pays Wink

Makes a difference between happy investment, possibly, and - well... loosing money.

People like Vladimir with his data centers will make money when small basement operations realize they pay a hefty price every month.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AreYouCereal

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:38:50 PM

I think the OP hasn't thought this through.  He's selling his mining gear because it's not worth mining any more, on a Bitcoin mining forum  Wink

Speaking of getting rid of hardware, I too am downsizing, although listing elsewhere to sell my graphics cards and other bits.  Employing $1000 of hardware to eek out maybe $5 a day after power and tax doesn't strike me as especially effective.

This is partly a problem of mom and pop basement operations that neither are tax regiestered (paying sales tax / VAT) nor get industrial power.

Just comparing my own plans to a home guy 20km further down the road:

* I look for a room with water access for ingoing chillers (cooling air into the room, air out will be dumped to the environment) Wink Happens I live on a harbor city.
* I will pay about 25% to 20% of the power costs he pays Wink

Makes a difference between happy investment, possibly, and - well... loosing money.

People like Vladimir with his data centers will make money when small basement operations realize they pay a hefty price every month.

You should ask google for some space in their new data centre  Grin

Google has released a video showing off an interesting environmentally friendly innovation in one of their newly built data centers -- namely, a seawater cooling system for its servers. Located on the southern coast of Finland, the data center takes advantage of massive quarter-mile long tunnels installed by a paper mill previously operating on the site. The latter cooled some of its paper making machinery using the tunnels -- and apparently other industries have been known to do this as well -- but up until now using seawater for data center cooling was unheard of.

http://www.techspot.com/news/43942-googles-new-finland-data-center-is-cooled-by-seawater.html

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [D]ecentralized application [E]liminated third parties [C]ontent distribution
  █ DECENT FOUNDATION    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░   JOIN NOW! ICO ⏰ 10th of September
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ [E]ncrypted & secure         [N]o borders                  [T]imeless reputation
sharky112065

Activity: 383
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:37:16 PM

Why you selling everything? :O

Will you sell mobos and cpus by themselves?
Honestly? Timing is everything, I've recouped my hardware costs and with the next round of difficulty increase on the horizon I don't see much future in mining (BTC is a different story...) and would like to sell before the secondary market is flooded with used video cards.

Happy to sell the motherboards + CPUs separately, they are:

Motherboards:
Qty 7, MSi 870-G45
Qty 1, MSi 890FXA-GD70
Qty 1, MSi 870U-G55

All of the CPUs are AMD Semperons

Wait.. what?

Your all paid off and you are quitting? Unless your mining is bringing in less than your power cost, why would you get out now when your hardware is paid in full?

I understand difficulty going up yields less coins, but you should still be profitable with that many GPU's.

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
lionclaw

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 02:38:58 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2011, 03:24:54 PM by lionclaw

Why you selling everything? :O

Will you sell mobos and cpus by themselves?
Honestly? Timing is everything, I've recouped my hardware costs and with the next round of difficulty increase on the horizon I don't see much future in mining (BTC is a different story...) and would like to sell before the secondary market is flooded with used video cards.

Happy to sell the motherboards + CPUs separately, they are:

Motherboards:
Qty 7, MSi 870-G45
Qty 1, MSi 890FXA-GD70
Qty 1, MSi 870U-G55

All of the CPUs are AMD Semperons

Wait.. what?

Your all paid off and you are quitting? Unless your mining is bringing in less than your power cost, why would you get out now when your hardware is paid in full?

I understand difficulty going up yields less coins, but you should still be profitable with that many GPU's.

It isn't a matter of still being profitable, it's a matter of maximizing the $$$ in your pocket.  I had 4k worth of hardware in my 5Gh cluster.  With the latest difficulty increase it was only bringing in $40 a day after power costs.  With future difficulty increases, or drop in BTC value, it may drop as low as $20.  Assuming an average of $25 (big assumption) from here on out, and assuming I could get $2500 for my hardware now, it would take 100 days to just break even.  That's a big gamble.  I'll take my money now thank you Wink

http://shop.ebay.com/pilotandy/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 02:41:22 PM

Wow, this makes me realize where all that processing power comes from.

I never thought about this... if there ever is a large price crash in Bitcoin, the hardware markets will be flooded with used high-throughput graphics cards.

And the Southern Islands GPUs are around the corner... ebay might be a feast for gamers soon. Grin
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:18:04 PM

And so it begins...

Yeah i was hoping we wouldnt see this until a Long time from now. But oh well, What sucks More right now is that every miner is hoarding coins going "please go back up market pleaaase" and they dont realise that "The trading of the coins is what gives them value"

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
xanadu (OP)

Activity: 63

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 09:44:59 PM

The lot has been spoken for and deposits are in place, thank you all for the interest!
RyanWebber

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 09:51:56 PM

I wish I had that much hardware a couple months ago  Grin

Hope your sale goes smooth.

If I have been remotely useful feel free to donate:
1DgkA1S64CoVGu1q5JFSz4maRQJYw2dMC8
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:50:57 AM

Wow, this makes me realize where all that processing power comes from.

I never thought about this... if there ever is a large price crash in Bitcoin, the hardware markets will be flooded with used high-throughput graphics cards.

And the Southern Islands GPUs are around the corner... ebay might be a feast for gamers soon. Grin

That's just the ebb and flow of markets, as applied to bitcoin mining.  I'm in the market for some used mining gear to build my mining heater for my garage.  It might need to be as large as a rack for an electric heater as powerful as I can buy at Wal-Mart for $30, but this one has the potential of paying for itself.  Any miners who live in climates with a heating season longer than 6 months should really consider shutting down, but waiting until fall before considering selling.  Any miners in  tropical climates really shouldn't be mining at all.  The thread with the miner in Hawaii, with year round AC demands and 25 cents per KWH, just made me laugh. 

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 02:20:59 PM

PM sent

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: