Bitcoin Forum
July 14, 2024, 02:49:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Struggling with adding 3rd GPU...  (Read 273 times)
modestminer (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 03:47:34 PM
Last edit: November 03, 2017, 03:59:14 PM by modestminer

Greetings,

New to the msg board and crypto mining, not new to bitcoin.

I currently have the following hardware mining successfully on nicehash:

i7 5820k
MSI x99s Plus motherboard
4x4gb ddr4
RX480 x 2

I have the 2 480s bios modded and clocked/volted with afterburner. Working great, very stable. On the latest AMD drivers released 11/2/17.

I wanted to add a 3rd card with bone stock settings (asus strix rx570) that I would use to display/game while the 2 480s churned in the background. When the PC was sitting idle I would begin mining with the 570 as well. That was my plan at least.

When I install the 570 it all goes to crap. The 570 will work initially, then the display goes black. If I switch the hdmi to a 480 for display, I can no longer see the 570 in windows device manager. Would there be some driver conflict because the 480s have modded bios and the 570 is stock?

Im stumped. Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas for me...

leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 03:56:48 PM

Greetings,

i7 5820k
4x4gb ddr4
RX480 x 2

I have the 2 480s bios modded and clocked/volted with afterburner. Working great, very stable. On the latest AMD drivers released 11/2/17.

I wanted to add a 3rd card with bone stock settings (asus strix rx570) that I would use to display/game while the 2 480s churned in the background. When the PC was sitting idle I would begin mining with the 570 as well. That was my plan at least.

When I install the 570 it all goes to crap. The 570 will work initially, then the display goes black. If I switch the hdmi to a 480 for display, I can no longer see the 50 in windows device manager.

I wonder what do you mean by 50 in device manager?

Would there be some driver conflict because the 480s have modded bios and the 570 is stock?

Have you tried the patcher?

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

modestminer (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 04:00:35 PM

Greetings,

i7 5820k
4x4gb ddr4
RX480 x 2

When I install the 570 it all goes to crap. The 570 will work initially, then the display goes black. If I switch the hdmi to a 480 for display, I can no longer see the 50 in windows device manager.

Would there be some driver conflict because the 480s have modded bios and the 570 is stock?

Edited my post. I meant to say 570 instead of 50.

I have tried the pixel patcher and that gets my 480s working again in nicehash, but then I cant see the 570 in the device manager.
leonix007

Grow with community

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 04:05:24 PM

Greetings,

i7 5820k
4x4gb ddr4
RX480 x 2

Edited my post. I meant to say 570 instead of 50.

I have tried the pixel patcher and that gets my 480s working again in nicehash, but then I cant see the 570 in the device manager.

I presume the word can't see means it doesn't detect anything nor getting any error in device manager, if you're using a risers try to check them, check also your psu connections going to your GPU and risers. ensure that you have also enough PSU rating powering up your GPU's.

modestminer (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 04:38:17 PM

Correct: the 570 does not show up in the device manager.

I can either have all three cards visible in the device manager with the infamous yellow triangle indicating they are not working properly, or I can have the 2 480s working fine and the 570 not showing up in the device manager at all.

Here is a more direct question:

Can a person run two different rx series cards on the same driver?

If yes, does it matter if 2 of the three cards are using a modded bios?

I have plenty of PSU for my task according to any of the calculators I can find online. Its a Corsair 750w.
leonix007

Grow with community

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 10:42:02 PM

Correct: the 570 does not show up in the device manager.

I can either have all three cards visible in the device manager with the infamous yellow triangle indicating they are not working properly, or I can have the 2 480s working fine and the 570 not showing up in the device manager at all.

Here is a more direct question:

Can a person run two different rx series cards on the same driver?

yes, you can run these cards, especially it is same RX series.

If yes, does it matter if 2 of the three cards are using a modded bios?

no it doesn't matter, I have 4 modded GPU's mixed with 1 stock and run smoothly.

I have plenty of PSU for my task according to any of the calculators I can find online. Its a Corsair 750w.

750w should be fine, especially when not mining, try to put the rx570 in other pci-e slot. if nothing happens, try clean uninstall,

use DDU and install blockchain driver

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-Edition-Beta-for-Blockchain-Compute-Release-Notes.aspx

however, the driver is for mining only and i'm not pretty sure if will decently work with gaming.
modestminer (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 08:38:21 PM

Thank you very much for your help with this, I really appreciate it.

I will try your suggestions tomorrow and follow up.
modestminer (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 02:25:46 PM

OK, I got all the cards up and running and are currently mining as we speak. I ended up haveing to clear my cmos and everything started working as needed. I have overclocked my system with the two cards installed, things went bad when I tried to install the 3rd. All good now.

A follow up questions though:

You had linked to the mining drivers from AMD. Is there a way to point the two dedicated mining cards to use the mining drivers, and run my 3rd card on a standard driver? In a perfect world I would be able to game on one card while the other two are dedicated to mining. I tried doing this via windows device manager, but Windows wont let me and tells me I already have the best driver installed.

Am I asking for too much?

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: