Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:00:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost encryption key  (Read 1621 times)
Tirapon (OP)

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 12:40:58 AM

Looking for some help with this:

I have a friend who has lost the encryption key to his QT wallet (despite my stressing to him the importance of not losing your key  Roll Eyes )

Anyway, he reckons he has a vague idea of what the password should be, and that its 12 characters at most. I'm wondering, what's the feasibility of brute forcing it, with 9 GPUs (7950s) at my disposal?
Eb0la

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 12:54:05 AM

Best of luck.  You will be a while at trying to brute force that.  Special characters used?  Numbers?  etc will just increase the time to brute force it.  Might be better to put that hashing power to generating BTC unless there was a lot in the wallet.
Tirapon (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:07:24 AM

I'm not sure if it will be worth it, but I'm hoping that it will be much quicker given that we have a rough idea of the password. I'll have to check about special characters etc.
d3m0n1q_733rz

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 09:04:37 AM

First off, you would have to have the brute force program be able to recognize a decrypted wallet file.  Can't just brute-force all willy-nilly.  Second, if you manage 1000 guesses per second, if you utilize numbers and letters, you're looking at about 1.55 million centuries.  Let's not get special characters involved.  Supposing your friend uses the same password for multiple things, your best bet would be to compile a list of all of those passwords and a few variations to try.  From there, have the bruteforcer vary each character in each password to see if one was fat-fingered.  Then, try adding letters in somewhere.
You do know that you can probably exclude low-character counts so that will be of some assistance.  But take it from someone that knows; you won't find it by trying every variation possible in anything less than 1.55 years with one hell of an array.
This site will demonstrate for you just how long and how big of an array you would need to retrieve their wallet password:
https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

Hope this helps.

Funroll_Loops, the theoretically quicker breakfast cereal!
Check out http://www.facebook.com/JupiterICT for all of your computing needs.  If you need it, we can get it.  We have solutions for your computing conundrums.  BTC accepted!  12HWUSguWXRCQKfkPeJygVR1ex5wbg3hAq
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:33:06 PM

Check out this thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85495.0

In there, scripts are posted that will attempt to bruteforce the encryption passphrase based on what you still know about it. The more you still remember, the better the chances of finding the key within a reasonable timeframe of course.
Tirapon (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:03:26 PM

Nice one mate, thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: