Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 05:44:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to determine Altcoins or ICO that are too good to be true?  (Read 370 times)
efrencres (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 08:17:42 PM

Many of us still wondering how to determine it. But there are few indications that can be an addon that a coin might make it easily to revealed. This topic is open to everyone I want to get your comment of how to reveal a too good to be true ICO so we can be aware of it. Sorry for my bad english..  Thanks  Wink
shillberting

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 08:34:52 PM

If the idea itself seems to good to be true it probably cant live up to the hype. For instance an ICO completed recently offering 0% exchange and I think while this is great is probably impossible to produce in actuality. I also

watch out for discounts that are too good to be true because like before it is the lure and greed of extra bonus % that gets us caught in these scams. This is speaking directly from experience be careful out there
efrencres (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 09:17:11 PM

If the idea itself seems to good to be true it probably cant live up to the hype. For instance an ICO completed recently offering 0% exchange and I think while this is great is probably impossible to produce in actuality. I also

watch out for discounts that are too good to be true because like before it is the lure and greed of extra bonus % that gets us caught in these scams. This is speaking directly from experience be careful out there

I have seen post like this. About BitConnect.
http://mygallery.epizy.com/images/2017/11/03/Lo1.png

And in Social Media..
http://mygallery.epizy.com/images/2017/11/03/N2a.jpg

They are in rank 6 yesterday morning but they dropped immediately into rank 16.
http://mygallery.epizy.com/images/2017/11/03/O9f.png

And I noticed that developer of this coin is making constant changes into their circulating supply calculation. This changes affects how their value raises in a matter of time.. looks like it is a part of their hype right?
http://mygallery.epizy.com/images/2017/11/03/mxR.png
okala

Activity: 980
Merit: 114

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 09:35:02 PM

I have find out that most of the project that are being promoted on services section and payment are made in bitcoin do always comes out in positive. I always study a good coins through comments make by investor on there ann thread and most time trying to study the whites paper and also find out if the current progress is in line with the objective of the project. I have also trying to contacts expert and experience investors on their view about the project.
shab00mba

Activity: 21

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 09:38:31 PM

Read the whitepaper, try to understand the idea, then judge if it's worth investment
eching

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 09:57:20 PM

Whitepaper, technology of the ICO, and team.

If their whitepaper is overly fluffed with no real content talking about their product, it's a red flag

If they do not have a detailed example of what their technology will be doing -- and I'm hoping it actually NEEDS to use the blockchain in some way -- best to avoid it.

A solid team, like a good idea, brings on a good foundation for the company to grow. Check out the team members and make sure they have experience in the industry this ICO is focused on.
GreatOrchid
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 10:52:25 PM

It is so easy to determine that, just look at those ico's that are offering a lot of things to their investors, like those who also offer incredible discounts for those who invest in their pre-ico, i saw an ico that was giving around 70% discount for those who bought on pre-ico, and this in insane.
And if you see this on an ico, just do a research about the developer's linkedin profile, this is the best source to investigate about those people.
criticoflife

Activity: 353
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 10:54:40 PM

Many of us still wondering how to determine it. But there are few indications that can be an addon that a coin might make it easily to revealed. This topic is open to everyone I want to get your comment of how to reveal a too good to be true ICO so we can be aware of it. Sorry for my bad english..  Thanks  Wink

By looking for an ico that has a solid team/roadmap/idea. If it has an already working system with real world uses than it's a good sign for me. I usually look through all the team members social media pages also and make sure they have a good background and are who they say they are. I have bought into two ICO's so far with one of them doubling in the 1st week so i'm happy with my choices.

T O W E R B E E      |  PLATFORM FOR EVERYDAY BUSINESS       [ CRYPTOEXCHANGE TowerX ]
▬        ICO  >  on our exchange TowerX        ▬
FACEBOOK           MEDIUM           TWITTER           LINKEDIN           REDDIT           TELEGRAM
KingScorpio

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2017, 11:02:38 PM

this is now like the 10th similar topic that has been opened arround just today

maybe we need an entire board for this:

a good ico cannot be that easily recognized, there are many business risks involved,
you can however have legal assurance that the money is beeing invested through openness, but there are always busines risks, a war can break, one of the core developer could die to a car accident etc.

the established financial system tries to solve this problem since long:

--> prinicipal agent theory

but their neverending perfectionism and paranioa only led them toward large scale inefficiency now they need for everything a consultant, and every consultant has an economic interest to make out of a fly an elefant good luck with that financial system, the entire economy will be focused on it.

regards

Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:14:14 PM

If the ICO is making promises that are obviously not going to come true then just don't invest in it. Simple as that, really. Also if you don't personally believe in the project that you're putting your money into then probably don't do it either.

The main things are realistic promises that can be redeemed and a good team with great ideas.

If they lack those attributes, probably best to stay away.

Hamstead

Activity: 805
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:28:27 PM

By looking-up their platform, team members and the one who are managing their campaign. Considering also that the campaign manager or even the developer is very active in answering queery from investors.
Although they have this, but isn't really enough to give them trust(100%) because it is very hard to find out which one is legit and having a good intension. As we all know that most ICO are now scam, so we must be careful in dealing with. And it is important to have a reseach before investing into a certain ICO.
gabbie2010

Activity: 2688
Merit: 326

SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2017, 11:36:32 PM

It is an absolute risk to invest in ICOs that you do not understands their core values just because you were inform by a colleague, invest on ICOs projects which has a real aim of solving world problems and low market cap with a chances of growing with a perfect team.

B.I.O.K.R.I.P.T|
  BiokriptX Fair Launch is now live in PINKSALE
|🟣 Twitter
🔵 Facebook
🟣 Telegram
limmousine

Activity: 546
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 12:04:49 AM

currently a lot of projects that are holding ico, but not all good. the first thing I see is ideas and concepts, then roadmaps, development teams and potential in the future. if developers are active and often interact with potential investors, this is a good thing.
Pfizer

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 12:06:36 AM

You're still saying White paper and team member page. This is really not helpful. Check the tokens of several great ICO and see how they were dumped on the people. They made 300% loss for their investors.

This is just awful. Probably owners are dumping on people without lock-out of tokens.
btcjoin14

Activity: 891
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 01:21:07 AM

They are too good to be true.
If you want to make more, invest in Ethereum or have a Bitcoin stored somewhere so you can invest in a coin that has a real item launched.
chefcryptoshark

Activity: 54

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 01:28:08 AM

One of the key factors are the people involved. If you have world-class professionals who are experienced in the value proposition, then there is a better chance for avoiding scams.

This isn't to say that all ICOs and alts with celebs and Vitalik are going to be successful, there is just less of a chance for getting scammed by a fake dev team
rmilly

Activity: 312
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 03:33:07 AM

1. Team/founders/advisors
2. Idea/market fit (would this genuinely solve a big problem?)
3. whitepaper formatted and no grammar mistakes. should be thorough and have deadlines
4. exisitng platform

Imo these are the 4 pillars. A recent token I found is cybermiles and it fulfills all of these for me personally. The last one that was like this was Civic.
phr0stbyt3

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 05:31:23 AM

You don't need to determine it it is obvious the ico is going to be a scam i can assure you. They might be able to list it on major exchanges and even give tremendous profit for investors but after some time you will notice
AltCoinProject

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2017, 07:49:30 AM

Research mathematics behind the project. Math does not lie.

For Sale http://www.altcoinproject.com-http://www.altcoinproject.org domain names. Price 1 BTC
FreeLance Media Manager...
asdalani

Activity: 882

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:36:34 AM

You're still saying White paper and team member page. This is really not helpful. Check the tokens of several great ICO and see how they were dumped on the people. They made 300% loss for their investors.

This is just awful. Probably owners are dumping on people without lock-out of tokens.
The white paper is what makes the coin more legit though they don't always succeed if nobody really wants to purchase it.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print