Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:27:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoinhop hacked  (Read 1851 times)
Alex Beckenham (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 06:12:09 AM

Just noticed this on bitcoinhop.com:

The site was hacked and will not be returning online.
If you were awaiting a payment, please send an email to bitcoinhop@gmail.com
with details about your account/item.

Does anyone have any further info? Seems strange that they will 'not be returning'.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pippipcheerio

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 06:23:31 AM
Last edit: June 28, 2011, 06:38:13 AM by jakea1011

Just noticed this on bitcoinhop.com:

The site was hacked and will not be returning online.
If you were awaiting a payment, please send an email to bitcoinhop@gmail.com
with details about your account/item.

Does anyone have any further info? Seems strange that they will 'not be returning'.

I'm extremely pissed off.

1) Administrator isn't responding
2) I had 4 BTC worth of sales (Roughly $65)

I have a feeling this may have been a scam.
yesterday

Activity: 33

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 07:13:12 AM

The site was too hard to manage. I asked biddingpond if he would like to would like to merge my site with his so it would be easier to manage, but he said the biddingpond staff didn't want to. So after being hacked, I just decided to close the site.

What? Why would I create a website just to steal 4 bitcoins from you? I told you I would contact the buyer less than 5 hours ago. At most, two payments were intercepted by the hacker, but neither of those were from items you sold.
pippipcheerio

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 07:20:38 AM

The site was too hard to manage. I asked biddingpond if he would like to would like to merge my site with his so it would be easier to manage, but he said the biddingpond staff didn't want to. So after being hacked, I just decided to close the site.

What? Why would I create a website just to steal 4 bitcoins from you? I told you I would contact the buyer less than 5 hours ago. At most, two payments were intercepted by the hacker, but neither of those were from items you sold.

Maybe you stole more than just 4, I just find it weird how it will never open up again. It was a great website, if you check the messages between the buyer and I. He was about to release the bitcoins to me, but couldn't find it. So could you please release them now?
yesterday

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 07:40:56 AM

Maybe you stole more than just 4, I just find it weird how it will never open up again. It was a great website, if you check the messages between the buyer and I. He was about to release the bitcoins to me, but couldn't find it. So could you please release them now?
I contacted him. Once he confirms it, I will send you the bitcoins. I can see the messages but I just want to be sure.
lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 07:44:14 AM

wow  Embarrassed

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 07:56:25 AM

You really should not accuse people of stealing without some sort of evidence. Especially when the person is actually trying to work with you.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 07:58:45 AM

You really should not accuse people of stealing without some sort of evidence. Especially when the person is actually trying to work with you.

+1, This is one of the 'good guys'

pippipcheerio

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 08:06:19 AM

Well I apologize, Yesterday for acting the way I did. I just panicked.

To Yesterday: The buyer had no internet for 3 days, so I don't know if its on the frits. 
neptop

Activity: 314
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 10:58:46 AM

Uh, now I understand what they meant when they called Bitcoin a hacker currency. Wink

What do we learn? Use #bitcoin-otc for trades!
Or at least think about whom to trust.

I think an exchanges and other should at least describe what they are doing for security.

BitCoin address: 1E25UJEbifEejpYh117APmjYSXdLiJUCAZ
semyazza

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:00:45 PM

We can confirm this.  We also extended an offer to work on a federated auction API protocol extension to BCSpec.
nat

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:13:42 PM

Hey I would REALLY appreciate a reply to my email about owed BTC, I don't know what time zone you are on so you may be asleep or something, but please get back to me ASAP and put my mind at rest, I am owed BTC for sold T-shirts
Cheers
pippipcheerio

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 06:58:56 PM

Received my 4.27 BTC from Bitcoinhop, thanks Yesterday!
nat

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 11:47:04 PM

Just received an email from the guy from bitcoinhop too, he is going to pay, despite the hacking, the trust generated within the BTC community is very valuable, thank you!
Alex Beckenham (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:06:10 AM

Yesterday, I think you should shop around for a buyer, there's probably a few people that would be interested.

If not, I'll get in touch again tomorrow.

beezm

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 01:42:00 AM

Since this isn't re-opening is there any way that the details of the "attack" could be partially revealed ? As to what went wrong? Maybe help out others who are developing  Cool
yesterday

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 03:29:21 AM

Since this isn't re-opening is there any way that the details of the "attack" could be partially revealed ? As to what went wrong? Maybe help out others who are developing  Cool
The site may possibly re-open. Two people have offered to take over.

The hacker used an sql injection to gain access to the database. All the passwords were hashed with salt so they are harder to crack, but not impossible.
beezm

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 07:10:15 AM

The site may possibly re-open. Two people have offered to take over.
Well that's good to hear.  Smiley

The hacker used an sql injection to gain access to the database. All the passwords were hashed with salt so they are harder to crack, but not impossible.

Ahh. Thanks for sharing! I was just genuinely curious =)

I hadn't ever used your site, but I liked it a lot. Hope it comes back.
yesterday

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 11:49:40 PM

I just transferred ownership over to Alex Beckenham.

Stay tuned for the relaunch.  Smiley
Alex Beckenham (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 12:31:57 AM

I just transferred ownership over to Alex Beckenham.

Stay tuned for the relaunch.  Smiley

Thanks, I've paid for half of what we agreed, and yesterday has sent me a password-protected RAR file of the site.

The domain name can't be transferred until 16 July, because of a 60-day rule imposed by the registrars.

So, we may need to wait until then to complete the deal.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: