Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:51:45 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a BTC Exchange tell where bitcoins are coming from when making deposit  (Read 470 times)
subsandaddy (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:50:39 AM

Hello All.... I am new to the forums, however I am pretty well versed in the ins and outs of bitcoin transactions. One question that I have been pondering over the last week or so is whether or not my bitcoin exchange can tell where my coins are coming from when I make a deposit into the wallet. For example, can they read the bitcoin address from which the coins are being sent and from there make a determination that the deposit was made from a certain place??? Thanks so much for your help with this. Thanks

sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:26:43 AM

Yes they are using blockchain.info/address/btc address.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
subsandaddy (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:35:36 AM

Thanks for the reply, but I was not specific enough in what I was aasking. What I am trying to know is lets say I use a Marketplace called the Atlantis and then I transfer coins from my wallet there over to my exchange wallet. Can the exchange tell that these coins are coming from the Atlantis. The reason I am asking is that with all of these exchanges following verification regulations, you could be exposed to liability in terms of illicit activity if they could tell.... Any help here guys? Thanks yall

mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:40:02 AM

Can the exchange tell that these coins are coming from the Atlantis.

They could in theory if the money came from a known address. And the authorities could do so at any time in the future if they manage to raid the marketplace and recover server logs.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
subsandaddy (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:42:49 AM

Ok understood... But the chances of them having a known address is unlikely. If I am using one account btc address that always deposits coins into the exchange account it is unlikely that they would have any idea where it is coming from? Is it safe to say that? Of course there is a very minute chance but not likely. And if the exchange is taken down then there will be many many people in trouble.... Thanks so much for your information and I hope that I am hearing you correctly. thanks bud
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:07:14 PM

Ok understood... But the chances of them having a known address is unlikely. If I am using one account btc address that always deposits coins into the exchange account it is unlikely that they would have any idea where it is coming from? Is it safe to say that? Of course there is a very minute chance but not likely. And if the exchange is taken down then there will be many many people in trouble.... Thanks so much for your information and I hope that I am hearing you correctly. thanks bud

It would really depend on how the Marketplace (The Atlantis?) has structured their handling of bitcoins.  Without that information it is difficult (nearly impossible) to answer your question.  It should be possible for The Atlantis to structure their bitcoin handling in such a way to obscure where the bitcoins are coming from, but if they haven't made such an effort it is definitely possible for them to structure the handling in such a way to make it easy to tell where they are coming from.
subsandaddy (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 08:57:39 PM

So if these use a tumbler program that anonymizes the transactions then I should be good to go? Thanks for being so patient and helping me out here.. This is a great site for resources I wish I found it sooner.
CoachBags

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 09:58:23 PM

Yes they are using blockchain.info/address/btc address.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: