Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:10:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Obelisk tech to release Miner for Decred with the DCR1  (Read 3988 times)
AltF

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 09:02:10 PM

alas, crypto for equip used to work up till about maybe July of 2017....but again if crypto shoots up so fast it makes no sense...on the other hand ..if crypto dumps
sooooo fast it dont' make sense either and with bitmain at 90% of the equip of all flavors x11/scrypt-pow/sha-256...well I'm tossing in the towel

we will see around june of 2018

but may get another obelisk or two anyway with fiat/cash (no crypto) i have 50% off coupons so may get some for basement toys

other then toys thou....be careful is my advice ...I'm gonna cool my jets till again perhaps July 2018 or so for any serious data hall moves again (if ever) Smiley

would you sell a coupon?  recoup some lost opportunity-cost, eh?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
January 05, 2018, 02:32:21 AM

alas, crypto for equip used to work up till about maybe July of 2017....but again if crypto shoots up so fast it makes no sense...on the other hand ..if crypto dumps
sooooo fast it dont' make sense either and with bitmain at 90% of the equip of all flavors x11/scrypt-pow/sha-256...well I'm tossing in the towel

we will see around june of 2018

but may get another obelisk or two anyway with fiat/cash (no crypto) i have 50% off coupons so may get some for basement toys

other then toys thou....be careful is my advice ...I'm gonna cool my jets till again perhaps July 2018 or so for any serious data hall moves again (if ever) Smiley

would you sell a coupon?  recoup some lost opportunity-cost, eh?

catch is the coupon is locked to my account from what I can tell ..so you'd have to trust me to order you one..not sure that makes a person comfortable

not sure what I'm gonna do yet

according to obelisk reply via email

I have 5 obelisks

I get 5 800 buck coupons first

IF I got 5 more units

I'd get 400 bucks  for my 1st week ordered unit

and 250 bucks for a remaining 4 units

IF I got as many as 10 to use all the coupons

they were more unclear on IF you have 2 units or more per order number

either it would work as above

or go

800 on 1st unit and 400 on the second unit

that would suck...but ..again why be unclear unless that may be the case

catch is to find out you have to FLAG the coupon and once you do that it is locked in

may not matter I have only 1 2 order like this and I find it unlikely I would get the other 3 units anyway

anyway we have till the 31st of Jan to decide on this stuff

when I asked about order of shipping on the orig batches ..they said don't worry all units will ship out at the same time

thus if like me you got over 5 over 2 months they all will dump at once not trickle out

anyway, not sure about getting 2nd order even at 1/2 off of 2nd batch of miners with the 1st batch still vaporware...seems silly

but DAMN, I badly need the equip deduction at a 50% income tax rate (with 10% state tax added that makes it so)

but between these units and DUBIOUS bitmain units in march/april (as they drive up difficulty and mine till then)

looking IFFY

I'm seriously looking at a kick ass big ass do all printer and a decent Xerox machine just for the equip write offs

I already last year got a 5K alienware laptop for the biz (cough!) w/the expansion box for a graphics card (hey, its a gpu miner) (cough!)

just because if I did not 50% would go to IRS and the 25% (1st year all) equip deduction I can get off taxes owed last year 2017 in REAL $$ towards 2017 taxes anyway I'd owe

thus in my feeble mind, the above toy (er I mean legit equip for mining) cost me 25% of retail (cough!) delusion I'm sure but sure makes me happy

but damn, do I really have to buy a Xerox machine....

I wonder if the 2018 tax bill for the rich loosened up some more equip I can buy for the biz besides computer equip/software and miners?

unlikely....

later

brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
JoshFam

Activity: 18

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 06:37:50 AM

Nice Maybe I will get a decred unit
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 08:47:38 AM

Nice Maybe I will get a decred unit

I'm conflicted...

on the one hand, I have FIVE $800 buck 1/2 off coupons I could get units with

then

on the other hand I would be buying a 2nd batch pre-order of vaporware miners w/o getting the 1st batch

yeah, nothing DANGEROUS about this ...right...... Sad

So assuming, I man up and get 5 more units.....or 6 more units (adding only a $400 buck coupon on that go around...they use on the site I was told

the most expensive coupon's first...thus the $800 buck bonus coupon, for the 1st 5 units..then if I got a 6th unit the $400 buck coupon for getting a

unit the 1st week...then the last 4 units would be the last of the coupons at $250 each...not going that far..but what I was told of the process. FYI)

Again, assuming I get 6 more units at 1/2 price for the 1st 5 and $400 bucks of the 6th one for a total of 6 units at $5,200.00 usd before shipping.

WHAT UNITS SHOULD A PERSON GET......

1) Decred Miners (remember I have 5 obelisk sc1's from the 1st batch run)

or

2) MORE Obelisk SC-1 Miners

So I get a mixture, what would be the split 100% decred because I've 1st batch Obelisk's Siacoin miners in that batch?

or

50/50 Decred and Siacoin units?

What are folk doing for a mixture on this as the best option?

Thanks, anyway the above was how I was told coupons work, point out any mistakes....but damn....I badly need the equip write-offs

brad

p.s. note to newbies in the USA..if you buy a unit with hard-earned $$$ you can get 25% off equip deduction in real $$ applied towards taxes owed on mining in a year. Assuming
you are in 25% income bracket. So that means you can take the 5 years equip depreciation all the first year or 100% equipment can be taken off your gross income.

ME. on the other hand..I am in a 50% tax range (40% plus 10% state income tax) ....if I take those $$$ and rather then pay the Tax Man and add the 25% off equipment
deduction off taxes I know I will pay in $$$ otherwise.....my risk above paying the tax man is 25% in real money...more so in that my current miners have ROI'd

thus newbies should be cautious with my advice..both for vaporware unit reasons maybe...and in real $$$ my risk is much less at 25% vs 75% cash down on this kinda thing

but again, I'm at the 50% tax level on mining income...but that is why it may be a lot more attractive to me for equipment than anybody else...especially newbie wise

also IF it is all vaporware...I can still write it off as theft/loss and only down 25% for the risk...again the tax man will get 50% for sure, and the nice 25% equip deduction

makes it tempting as hell at my 50% tax rate to be perhaps "stupid" (damn the 2013 kool-aid is like Malaria....can come back in Newbie dumb purchases at any time....

with the same strengh of 2013 Kool-Aid years later! Ack!)

anyway, just a clarification on my views on how sketchy this may be...on the consideration of doubling down and getting batch 2 stuff when batch 1 stuff is still in the wind!

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
ght3d

Activity: 50

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 08:53:53 AM

How can anyone consider preordering these miners without seeing any proof of existence or internal design of the miners ? It's amazing how many people throw money at things like these. And the way the company changes the specs of the miners , saying they multiplied the final hashrate x2 or x5, as if it was an easy thing to do.

There is a single image on their website with a 3d render of black box, which to me, means nothing. They launched the preorder for a second batch before people even remotely received the first one. To me it's another company which has nothing to offer with scammy and shady practices.
brooklynite1

Activity: 630
Merit: 10

In BTCz we trust. Organic slow growth.

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2018, 09:05:02 AM

When you do some calcs with their specs it is almost to good to be true...

OBELISK DECRED 300GH:

https://whattomine.com/coins/152-dcr-blake-14r?utf8=%E2%9C%93&hr=300000.0&p=1000.0&fee=0.0&cost=0.1&hcost=0.0&commit=Calculate

OBELISK SIA 475GH:

https://whattomine.com/coins/161-sc-blake-2b?utf8=%E2%9C%93&hr=475000.0&p=1000.0&fee=0.0&cost=0.1&hcost=0.0&commit=Calculate

Let's assume what the "calculator says"

Decred = 3300 dollar month...
SIA = 4700 dollar month...

(I think for real, maybe half of it...)

The Obelisk miners seem to have an absolute great advantage to all people who (merged) mine Decred or Sia with their GPU right now. Not all miners who mine Ethereum or Zcash mine merged. I think it is just a small percentage because you need extra power for your GPU's it is not free, to mine merged (it costes extra)
There are also people mining with FPGA's (Ztex, Icarus, etc.) on Decred right know and if these Obelisk miner is real "real"
(I am still not sure) then we see the true switch from CPU --> GPU --> FPGA --> ASIC.
At this point Decred and or SIA will have their own ASIC and more fullgrown?? more futureproof..

I really like the DCR1, more than the SIA SC1 miner (personal) but they need to show us this is real stuff.

The thing with ASICs is that you don't get it now. You will get it when the difficulty has risen so much that you make $30 for 1500W of paper consumed. They will have so many of these mining for themselves until difficulty rises to a crazy level then they start shipping. Now you know Why there is always delays with Asic its about not shipping them out until they become close to unprofitable.

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 09:09:19 AM

How can anyone consider preordering these miners without seeing any proof of existence or internal design of the miners ? It's amazing how many people throw money at things like these. And the way the company changes the specs of the miners , saying they multiplied the final hashrate x2 or x5, as if it was an easy thing to do.

There is a single image on their website with a 3d render of black box, which to me, means nothing. They launched the preorder for a second batch before people even remotely received the first one. To me it's another company which has nothing to offer with scammy and shady practices.

you are correct ...it is a risk...probably too big a risk for most folk...I've done research and think? that they will come thru...If I am incorrect on my 1st batch units

I will be down as a complete loss on my $12,760.00 after deducting equip as a loss (theft/scam) would be about 25% for a total of $3,190.00 of which I can take up to 3k loss

each year...so from what I understand a 3k loss of gross income the following year...so yeah..maybe, after all, is said and done I'd be down 2k after all this...on the other hand

in the world of 'dubious' ASIC equipment sales..of any flavor....(bitmain ..not happening now for sure on March shipping), them's the breaks.

or I can just pay the tax man 50% (40% tax and 10% state tax) thus the gamble/justification/delusion (maybe?) of such purchases in my case Sad

On a last note..was so ..desperate for equipment I got last year a 5K loaded Alienware Laptop as computer equip deduction like a miner for AHEM ...business use

for my home self-employed miner operation...(cough! business) ..and I got the expansion chassis for adding a regular GPU graphics card for it also for (cough!) GPU

mining...(not gaming .really) (cough!) on the justification I use for miners.....after all, was said and done my AHEM business computer cost me 25% of what would

have moved out to the tax man anyway (truthfully it really will be used mostly as a business computer..but AHEM a few games may be on it) Smiley

yep.....that is where I'm at with taxman and my silly risks...you very well could be right!

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 09:17:26 AM

OBELISK DECRED 300GH:

https://whattomine.com/coins/152-dcr-blake-14r?utf8=%E2%9C%93&hr=300000.0&p=1000.0&fee=0.0&cost=0.1&hcost=0.0&commit=Calculate

OBELISK SIA 475GH:

https://whattomine.com/coins/161-sc-blake-2b?utf8=%E2%9C%93&hr=475000.0&p=1000.0&fee=0.0&cost=0.1&hcost=0.0&commit=Calculate

The Obelisk miners seem to have an absolute great advantage to all people who (merged) mine Decred or Sia with their GPU right now. Not all miners who mine Ethereum or Zcash mine merged. I think it is just a small percentage because you need extra power for your GPU's it is not free, to mine merged (it costes extra)
There are also people mining with FPGA's (Ztex, Icarus, etc.) on Decred right know and if these Obelisk miner is real "real"
(I am still not sure) then we see the true switch from CPU --> GPU --> FPGA --> ASIC.
At this point Decred and or SIA will have their own ASIC and more fullgrown?? more futureproof..

I really like the DCR1, more than the SIA SC1 miner (personal) but they need to show us this is real stuff.

The thing with ASICs is that you don't get it now. You will get it when the difficulty has risen so much that you make $30 for 1500W of paper consumed. They will have so many of these mining for themselves until difficulty rises to a crazy level then they start shipping. Now you know Why there is always delays with Asic its about not shipping them out until they become close to unprofitable.

again, you very well may be correct...but if Siacoin folk...DO get their system to be used to drop down storage rates to 10% of Amazon in an anon and widespread cloud method..that
is where these machines will work..not on coin price...it has to have the function they want the coin and the asic's to be used for

also, I have heard the same story about this since 2013 for KNC Jupiter 550gh BTC mienrs (2013) KNC Titan 300mh Miners (2014) KNC Titan 400mh Liguidation/Bankruptcy sale miners (2016)
(now that was scary it was KNC we could have gotten a box of liguidation rocks in a box!)  and of course my bet on $6 buck LTC floor on April 1st 2017 and getting a mess of Bitmain products at the time (2017)

stuff I've got burnt on  BFL (2014) (one of the few who got a full refund just before SEC shut them down)
Alpha-Tech Scrypt Miner 30% down pre-order (also Amex refunded me thru luck)

both the above used PAYPAL for crying out loud...thus thought was protected.....er not really

so yeah, there is that silly risk thing..but all my crypto was made by mining and most was made by pre-orders...so unless you go bitmain all the way..these are the current
choices/risks

(I agree, I don't have a clue...how I proceed w/o having a clue....feeble rationalizations are my main way to cope in the crypto world) Sad

dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 02:59:15 PM

You should ask that question to people buying the DragonMint, from a website without any address or name. The Obelisk company is owned by Nebulous. Both companies are incorporated in the US. Obelisk devs are not anonymous either, we know their real names. So, if they try to run with our money, they go to jail, plain and simple.

Beyond the fact that these are real people, they are available in the Discord channel, every day. Community behind this project is great.
Because of the facts above, I decided to buy a couple of units. I know there are risks, new company and everything, but I don't think it's a scam. I wouldn't order DagonMint however, since "HalongMining" is an unknown entity.
dlezama

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 03:08:23 PM

Let's assume these guys are legit and ASIC miners hit the ground running starting June. We know GPU mining at that point is over for SIA and DECRED.

The question is if its worth buying/mining these coins now before that event horizon.. With a big flood of new coins hitting the market does that mean a general upward or downward price trend?
That's not how crypto works. There won't be any "flood of new coins", difficulty auto-adjusts and coin supply remains constant. GPU mining may be dead before that, if enough Giant-B units are sold by Baikal.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 04:28:34 PM

Let's assume these guys are legit and ASIC miners hit the ground running starting June. We know GPU mining at that point is over for SIA and DECRED.

The question is if its worth buying/mining these coins now before that event horizon.. With a big flood of new coins hitting the market does that mean a general upward or downward price trend?

won't matter the siacoin is being used with the asic's to run a network of anon cloud data storage (unlike Amazon where they can give your data to gov't or corp etc) at 10%
the amazon current data storage prices.....

that is what will drive the price of the coin....their storage idea....this price on siacoin right now is just a perk

the real money is on the asic's and maybe once the network above shows legs...then reflected in siacoin price

anyway, my take on why I'm in this with the original 5 units

as to decred..unsure about how that coin works and any asic 'chops' it may have future wise

sluppy
Legendary

Activity: 2020
Merit: 1041

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 01:16:39 AM

OBELISK DECRED 300GH:

OBELISK SIA 475GH:

Yup you hit the nail on the head In fact looking at the current hashrates for both Testing has probably started and will increase until its time to ship .. or the power / income ratio doesn't make sense anymore Then everyone might get lucky and they will ship early Cheesy

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke -- May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.George Carlin
We pay for life with death , so everything in between should be free. Bill Hicks -- It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light. Aristotle
Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment. Buddha -- The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
dlezama

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 01:23:57 AM

OBELISK DECRED 300GH:

OBELISK SIA 475GH:

Yup you hit the nail on the head In fact looking at the current hashrates for both "Testing" has probably started and will increase until its time to ship .. or the power / income ratio doesn't make sense anymore Then everyone might get lucky and they will ship early Cheesy

You either trust this team and you buy, or you don't and you stay away. They have clearly said they won't start mining in the real network until the customers get their units. Also they have committed to max out their mining at 20% network hashrate. The sales numbers they publish in their website includes their 20% (what other asic manufacturer publishes this number?)

Please remember, this is a US based company and they can be sued if they lie, even go to jail (I bought only 2 units, but I'd be in the front of the line for the class action if they screw me, once I trust someone I can be really pissed of if I get betrayed)

As for calculating profitability this is available: http://www.sialytics.com
olegai

Activity: 19

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 09:15:10 AM

OBELISK DECRED 300GH:

OBELISK SIA 475GH:

Yup you hit the nail on the head In fact looking at the current hashrates for both "Testing" has probably started and will increase until its time to ship .. or the power / income ratio doesn't make sense anymore Then everyone might get lucky and they will ship early Cheesy

You either trust this team and you buy, or you don't and you stay away. They have clearly said they won't start mining in the real network until the customers get their units. Also they have committed to max out their mining at 20% network hashrate. The sales numbers they publish in their website includes their 20% (what other asic manufacturer publishes this number?)

Please remember, this is a US based company and they can be sued if they lie, even go to jail (I bought only 2 units, but I'd be in the front of the line for the class action if they screw me, once I trust someone I can be really pissed of if I get betrayed)

As for calculating profitability this is available: http://www.sialytics.com

just get the A3 from bitmain and mine in a week from today, instead of wating for AUGUST .... 815 Ghash performance
https://shop.bitmain.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020180116164357365a2ljX8gx06D3
dlezama

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 10:05:32 AM

Eh, that's not for Decred... (and out of stock)
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:59:19 PM

Don't have a decred miner coming...but if I did I'd be waiting for the other shoe to drop from Bitmain....I bet you..they will announce a decred

miner within the next month...count on it....

(bitmain: evil is how we roll!) (tm: bitmain)

MikeHenderson

Activity: 51
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:46:27 PM

Don't have a decred miner coming...but if I did I'd be waiting for the other shoe to drop from Bitmain....I bet you..they will announce a decred

miner within the next month...count on it....

(bitmain: evil is how we roll!) (tm: bitmain)

If they don't make it then someone else will maybe a few months later.  The only way I see to stop asics from being developed is for a coin to have a position like the monero project where they just openly say, if we find out that there are asics on the network then we will fork the code to break it.  I don't see bitcoin core ever changing their algo, and even if they did the miners would keep on mining the old chain or just switch to bitcoin cash.  I think Satoshi let a genie out of the bottle and we might not be able to put it back in.
michelinstar

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 05:02:03 AM

Any one can incorporate in the US for as low as $49-$200. Their bank has shut down the business account and now they accept crypto only. For the legal US based business it's not possible in fact, so the bank has suspected fraud and shut down their account. Too many shady facts about this obelisk make it 90% potential fraud.

Always research the company behind these things . . .

Obelisk is a subsidiary of Nebulous Inc, which is the company behind the SIA blockchain development.  Nebulous is a company based in the US and you can actually identify and name its owners and the people behind it.  If it goes south, their reputation is on the line as well as the US legal system being brought to bear on them. They have also been quite open about what they are doing and where their funding comes from.

A few links for your reading:
https://blog.sia.tech/

https://sia.tech/funding2016/

https://siawiki.tech/development/nebulous_inc

How can anyone be sure that these are real? That this is not a scam?
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 08:21:52 PM

Any one can incorporate in the US for as low as $49-$200. Their bank has shut down the business account and now they accept crypto only. For the legal US based business it's not possible in fact, so the bank has suspected fraud and shut down their account. Too many shady facts about this obelisk make it 90% potential fraud.

Always research the company behind these things . . .

Obelisk is a subsidiary of Nebulous Inc, which is the company behind the SIA blockchain development.  Nebulous is a company based in the US and you can actually identify and name its owners and the people behind it.  If it goes south, their reputation is on the line as well as the US legal system being brought to bear on them. They have also been quite open about what they are doing and where their funding comes from.

A few links for your reading:
https://blog.sia.tech/

https://sia.tech/funding2016/

https://siawiki.tech/development/nebulous_inc

How can anyone be sure that these are real? That this is not a scam?

Well between the above....and Bitmain selling A3's for $980 now (March 2018 delivery) .....and my 5 obelisks...my snap/crackle/pop breakfast cereal is getting soggy....

lost my frigging appetite....

thou I did get the email that my Obelisk FREE T-Shirt is on the way!

(why do I get the feeling I will be framing this T-Shirt and hanging it on the wall....with a small sign that said...I ordered 5 obelisk Sc-1 units and all I got was this

lousy T-Shirt!) Reality wise....this is no longer an unlikely senario..it seems Sad

legendsneednotags

Activity: 86

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:23:01 PM

Is there any source/way we can build a decred ASIC miner ourselves? I'm asking because some countries may have laws which prohibits them from importing large number of miners. But I really want to add to the hash rate and decentralize our networks again.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: