Bitcoin Forum
July 12, 2024, 03:03:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying To Install Ubuntu Linux on my Asus netbook for hardware storage.  (Read 811 times)
Capitalism Prevails (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:39:20 PM

But the 813 MB Ubuntu file i downloaded is an ISO and every time i try to install Ubuntu it just opens up a windows disc image burner window instead of an installation client. How do i fix this?

BTC:  1KX3MSyeHoubjvRMvkc4DXBXvEx9fr9cvV                              Strength In Numbers
LTC:  LaGawfU1ZJu33Lj6CX6NJ5WXWsfjPbLLLW                          In Cryptography We Trust
NMC:  N5EUwGbCNF1AYmZqNu9J7aYJVKxqbJoJG8          Cut Off One Node, Two More Will Take Its Place
Bogdan

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:47:28 PM

You need to burn the ISO onto a disc and then restart the PC. In the BIOS set the disc drive as the primary boot. Virtual machine is a good option though, download VMware player and you can install ubuntu as a virtual machine.
Capitalism Prevails (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:48:39 PM

You need to burn the ISO onto a disc and then restart the PC. In the BIOS set the disc drive as the primary boot. Virtual machine is a good option though, download VMware player and you can install ubuntu as a virtual machine.

That's part of the problem.  My Asus is so small it doesn't have a CD drive.  It has 3 usb pors however.  Is there a way i can install it from a flash drive?

BTC:  1KX3MSyeHoubjvRMvkc4DXBXvEx9fr9cvV                              Strength In Numbers
LTC:  LaGawfU1ZJu33Lj6CX6NJ5WXWsfjPbLLLW                          In Cryptography We Trust
NMC:  N5EUwGbCNF1AYmZqNu9J7aYJVKxqbJoJG8          Cut Off One Node, Two More Will Take Its Place
prof7bit

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 01:51:40 PM

That's part of the problem.  My Asus is so small it doesn't have a CD drive.  It has 3 usb pors however.  Is there a way i can install it from a flash drive?

Yes. Use this tool to make a bootable USB thumb drive: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:57:20 PM

UNetbootin does the job, if you want to try out Fedora, you also have https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/ to create a bootable USB drive.

You can also download the net install version of your distro of choice, it's quicker if you have a decent Internet connection.

KSV

Activity: 398
Merit: 250

SVERIGES VIRTUELLA VALUTAVÄXLING

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 02:00:13 PM

stick to ubuntu, its awesome - you will never go back to anything.

Trade Bitcoins @ FYB-SE ---> https://www.fybse.se
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:07:11 PM

stick to ubuntu, its awesome - you will never go back to anything.

Well, that is debatable.  Cheesy

Bogdan

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:08:55 PM

I also agree with unbetbootin. But these days people just use VMs rather than secondary OS.
Capitalism Prevails (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:10:27 PM

Yes. Use this tool to make a bootable USB thumb drive: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Alright, i'll try that.  thx

TheSpiral

Activity: 322
Merit: 113

Sinbad Mixer: Mix Your BTC Quickly

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:19:46 PM

You could try Wubi as well to install directly on (and in) Windows. I wouldn't recommend this, though.
Bogdan

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:25:20 PM

You should run a VM first to try it out before committing to a secondary OS.
larem

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:38:14 PM

You could try Wubi as well to install directly on (and in) Windows. I wouldn't recommend this, though.

As far as I remember, Wubi was disabled with the last version of Ubuntu for Windows 8. I assume that's what the Asus runs.

Capitalism Prevails (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:45:34 PM

What is a VM?

larem

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:12:41 PM

What is a VM?

Virtual Machine, like VirtualBox. It allows you to run a completely separate OS within the one you have running, so anything you do with it will not affect the host.

Capitalism Prevails (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:31:37 PM

What is a VM?

Virtual Machine, like VirtualBox. It allows you to run a completely separate OS within the one you have running, so anything you do with it will not affect the host.

That's interesting.  I've never heard of that.

larem

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 03:37:31 PM

What is a VM?

That's interesting.  I've never heard of that.

I used to use it all the time when I wanted to learn Linux without ditching Windows (before the days of distros like Ubuntu). I've used it a little as of lately to evaluate gaming performance on a slave system (I do this from time to time in the hopes that at some point gaming will be an option and I can ditch my normal Windows install), which has gotten MUCH better over the years.

The good thing about this is that you can install as many OS's as you want and they are stored on an image file that you can move, delete or restore at any point. Ex. your Linux distro, if you named it Ubuntu, would just be a single file named like Ubuntu.vbx (I think that's the extension) and the entire OS and everything you install will be in that single file.

It's a really neat thing but you'll have to use it to really understand it. The best part: it's FREE.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: