Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 01:48:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying in USA  (Read 688 times)
wonderuning (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:12:41 PM

So Ive been reading for a few hours on this forum, and I am still clueless as to how to buy bitcoins.  I read about money grams which are not advised, sites like blockchain, bitfloor and bitinstant are all down.  I read about Dwolla, but isnt that down too?  I know there is also localbitcoins but no one is around or near me withing 50 miles.

So how can I buy bitcoins in the US?  I know this is prob a repost and I apologize for that.  I am just desperate now. 
orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 02:54:28 PM

BitInstant is pretty much back up and running, after serious technical problems with a recent upgrade. I'd consider them safe to use now, though some additional delays are possible.

Coinbase (https://coinbase.com/?r=51a5b0d3867ba8db8e00000c) is cheaper - a flat 1% fee. To buy via Coinbase, you must link a checking or savings account to a Coinbase account, so you'll end up waiting a few days for verification. Once you're set up, though, they're probably the easiest way to buy or sell. My article for their process, in case it's helpful, is here: http://www.bit-buddy.com/buying-bitcoins-on-coinbase.html.

Dwolla isn't down; you're probably referring to the issues between Mt. Gox, Dwolla, and the US government. Although you still can't (as far as I can tell) fund a Mt. Gox account through Dwolla, some other exchanges still accept Dwolla transfers, including Camp BX: https://campbx.com/main.php?r=2D63QDP2hvq

I'd only go with Camp BX, or any other actual Bitcoin exchange, if you intend to buy and sell BTC on an ongoing basis as a currency investment. Otherwise, I'd go with Coinbase or BitInstant.

dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 02:57:48 PM

If you are going to use bank wire Mt Gox is still the biggest exchange. I have had no trouble using them to buy and sell bitcoin.
Xuesheng

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 04:22:01 PM

What's the issue with moneygrams? That's how I did it. Moneygram to mtgox from my local cvs drug store. No issues
secretasianman

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:30:07 PM

I used bitinstant when i started a while ago.  $300 went through no problem. 
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:45:21 PM

I'll sell you some.

Using the U.S. Postal Service, send me a Postal Money Order and the address where you want the bitcoins sent.

If you're interested, send me a PM to discuss price/exchange rate and my mailing address.
iram98230

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:39:28 PM

Try coinbase, localbitcoins, bitstamp.net and mtgox.
tinayou86

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 10:08:52 PM

Go with bitinstant. Watch it though they'll stiff you by selling at the days high.
arc45

Activity: 60

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 12:45:55 AM

So Ive been reading for a few hours on this forum, and I am still clueless as to how to buy bitcoins.  I read about money grams which are not advised, sites like blockchain, bitfloor and bitinstant are all down.  I read about Dwolla, but isnt that down too?  I know there is also localbitcoins but no one is around or near me withing 50 miles.

So how can I buy bitcoins in the US?  I know this is prob a repost and I apologize for that.  I am just desperate now. 

I recommend using CampBx.  I transferred $ via a post office money order to them once and it showed up in a week or so.  From there I sent it to another BTC address and was pleased with the process.
BGrx

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 12:58:42 AM

You lose the anonymity, but going through Coinbase was a breeze. It just took a couple days for the credits to hit the account to verify.
deMarzo

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 01:05:04 AM

I use bitinstant. Its good
galtbit

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 03:35:25 AM

I use bitinstant. Its good

+1
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 04:21:00 AM

I support all of the exchanges in my signature.  Currently, I buy using CampBX because it's the cheapest.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
hieroglyph

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:27:22 AM

I sure wouldn't mind meeting someone in person that was well known here for not scamming.

jackthebeanstalk

Activity: 52

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 11:50:21 AM

Sign up and verify yourself with Mtgox, Bitstamp etc and you can start buying BTCs.
JDTH

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 12:37:27 PM

Post a ad in the currency exchange section, post what you're asking for and what you want and I'm sure you'll get someone who'll help you out.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 02:39:05 PM

Post a ad in the currency exchange section, post what you're asking for and what you want and I'm sure you'll get someone who'll help you out.
Yeah that's probably a good advice ^right here^.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: