Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:31:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your electrical usage per month at your home? When do the cops come?lol  (Read 4705 times)
Paladin69 (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 04:05:07 PM

I'm curious what other people are doing?  I'm running about 3500kWh total per month for everything in the house.  Mind you it is the hot summer months right now also.

Is using too much electricity enough to warrant "probable cause" for a search?  Will they seize equipment?  Cops freak me out.  They can be such random jerks.
Marduk

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:48:08 PM

I have heard of police in the US using high electricity usage/high IR signatures to get a warrant for search.  However unless they had another reason to look in your direction in the first place, that probably wouldn't happen.  Also, unless you have a marijuana farm next to your mining farm, nothing would be confiscated.  Cheesy
infested999

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:49:12 PM

I have heard of police in the US using high electricity usage/high IR signatures to get a warrant for search.  However unless they had another reason to look in your direction in the first place, that probably wouldn't happen.  Also, unless you have a marijuana farm next to your mining farm, nothing would be confiscated.  Cheesy

It happened to someone on the forums right here. They had a helicopter with thermal cameras so see if all the heat is located in one room and then got the search warrant.

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
Paladin69 (OP)

Activity: 784

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:24:38 PM

However unless they had another reason to look in your direction in the first place, that probably wouldn't happen.

These smart meters they are attaching to everyone's houses I think gives the fuzz all they need.

It happened to someone on the forums right here. They had a helicopter with thermal cameras so see if all the heat is located in one room and then got the search warrant.

Did they confiscate his miners?  Did they just come in, check it out, then leave?  What are the details?
spiral_mind

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 07:43:33 PM

I have heard of police in the US using high electricity usage/high IR signatures to get a warrant for search.  However unless they had another reason to look in your direction in the first place, that probably wouldn't happen.  Also, unless you have a marijuana farm next to your mining farm, nothing would be confiscated.  Cheesy

The Supreme Court ruled that using an infrared camera on people's homes is illegal.

I don't think high electricity usage is a sufficient condition for them to bust your door down by itself.
infested999

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:41:53 AM

The Supreme Court ruled that using an infrared camera on people's homes is illegal.

I don't think high electricity usage is a sufficient condition for them to bust your door down by itself.

http://bitcoinminer.com/post/5762837023/cyber-bitcoin-mining-grow-ops

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
                       ▄█
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
FlappySocks

Activity: 546

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:42:50 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2013, 04:02:34 PM by FlappySocks

Maybe I am paranoid:

The electric company no longer estimate my bills, which they used to do every other quarter. They send a man round, in a car, to my house, and only to my house, regardless.
I get an e-mail once a quarter, asking for a meter reading.  It doesn't matter if I give them one or not, someone still comes round to read the meter. I ignore the requests now.
A while back, a helicopter kept circling my area, night after night.
Cops on push bikes started cycling by, every day.  Never seen that before.
One time I looked out the window, and cops on foot were staring up at my roof, then walked off.  Huh

Shocked Shocked Shocked
FlappySocks

Activity: 546

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:08:38 PM

Oh yeah, and I once tried to change my electricity supplier to get a better rate.  It was all about to go through, and then the new supplier rejected it.  I called them up, and they made excuses about me having the wrong type of meter or something. I was on a special list of meter serial numbers.  WTF?
infested999

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:40:07 PM

Maybe I am paranoid:

The electric company no longer estimate my bills, which they used to do every other quarter. They send a man round, in a car, to my house, and only to my house, regardless.
I get an e-mail once a quarter, asking for a meter reading.  It doesn't matter if I give them one or not, someone still comes round to read the meter. I ignore the requests now.
Cops on push bikes started cycling by, every day.  Never seen that before.
One time I looked out the window, and cops on foot were staring up at my roof, then walked off.  Huh

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Well there isn't much you can do without arousing more attention. If you have absolutely nothing to hide and you want to end the suspicion you can go to your police station and set things straight.

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
                       ▄█
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
tosku

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 04:44:33 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2013, 07:18:59 AM by tosku

I'm curious what other people are doing?  I'm running about 3500kWh total per month for everything in the house.  Mind you it is the hot summer months right now also.

3500kWh sounds like a lot, even for a house. But then we rarely have AC units in Sweden - our power usage is higher in the winter. What kind of mining rigs are you running?

I don't live in a house, only a flat. The power bill is around 600 kWh/month, half of which is for mining.

Skude.se/BTC - an easier way to request your daily free coins!
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 09:04:41 PM

My electric bill is in the area of 7000 kilowatt hours. It's a relatively expensive bill, and I even have a large commercial grade window exhaust fan in the basement to keep venting out hot air, and I'm not worried about da fedz.

flipper

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:02:54 AM

Maybe I am paranoid:

I get an e-mail once a quarter, asking for a meter reading.  It doesn't matter if I give them one or not, someone still comes round to read the meter. I ignore the requests now.
Cops on push bikes started cycling by, every day.  Never seen that before.
One time I looked out the window, and cops on foot were staring up at my roof, then walked off.  Huh

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Well there isn't much you can do without arousing more attention. If you have absolutely nothing to hide and you want to end the suspicion you can go to your police station and set things straight.

They also check your water usage. Indoor farmers use a lot of water. High electricity + high water = a warrant.
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:22:37 AM
Last edit: June 18, 2013, 09:39:34 AM by mmitech

I see people reporting 3500 KWh and others 7000 KHh, this is just impossible, I work in production and the biggest machine doesn't use that much power and believe me it is so huge and complicated.

I think most people wanted to say 3.5KWh or 3500W not 3500 KWh = 3.5 mega watt an hour
infested999

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:24:29 AM

I see people reporting 3500 KW/h and others 7000 KH/h, this is just impossible, I work in production and the biggest machine doesn't use that much power and believe me it is so huge and complicated.

I think most people wanted to say 3.5KW/h or 3500W/h not 3500KW/h = 3.5 mega watt an hour

Yes definetly. These people don't have 3500 mining rigs.

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
                       ▄█
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
erono

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:34:27 AM

@ 5200kWh total per month.

tosku

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 09:22:48 AM

I see people reporting 3500 KW/h and others 7000 KH/h, this is just impossible, I work in production and the biggest machine doesn't use that much power and believe me it is so huge and complicated.

I think most people wanted to say 3.5KW/h or 3500W/h not 3500KW/h = 3.5 mega watt an hour

1 kWh = 1000 W for one hour = 3 600 000 joule. It's a unit of energy, and it's also how an electric power bill is quantified.

You are the one who introduced "KW/h", which is just confusing.

mmitech
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:38:51 AM

1 kWh = 1000 W for one hour = 3 600 000 joule. It's a unit of energy, and it's also how an electric power bill is quantified.

You are the one who introduced "KW/h", which is just confusing.

yes you are right i should write 3500KWh, but how do you translate 7000KW an hour ? this has to be a farm with at least  23000 x ATI 7970, otherwise what I've wrote was just right, I will just fix that KW/h  Wink
tosku

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 10:25:09 AM

7000 kWh per month equals ~10kW.

mmitech
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:04:02 AM

Ah OK, they were posting the sum of K.watts they've used the hole month, I've thought that was the hourly average use, I just went full retard. Sorry  Smiley
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 12:40:18 PM

I had two patrol cars pull up to my house in either January or February..  I don't think it had anything to do with my electricity bill, though (which has ranged from around 3800kwh-4500kwh).  Probably just some jackass neighbor reporting me for 'suspicious activity' (you know, having a window open and an industrial fan blasting into the house when it's 30o outside).

The reason for them being on my property was that they detected a 'chemical smell' pervading the roadside near my house
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: