Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:33:00 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need a Lawyer???  (Read 620 times)
danystatic (OP)

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 04:34:40 PM

I have my own web-system ready
it is a "business"
it is ready to
to accept Bitcoin
and
also the system will pay for it's own "needs" in Bitcoin to other providers and
Bitcoin addresses who "deserve" to get paid.

my lawyer is more confused than Confusious ,
while I keep my Bitcoins as Bitcoins
with no exchange
Do I need a Lawyer??
btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 04:38:53 PM

Here is how I understand it:

If you are exchanging FIAT for BTC then you are a money exchanger and need an MSB license.

Just about anything else is up for grabs at this point.

Note: IANAL -- you might want to hit up msantori, the lawyer into bitcoins on this forum, he/she has been very helpful in these regards.

In addition your lawyer may want to contact msantori to discuss matters further.

Again, IANAL!!

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
bagbtrustee1

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 04:55:25 PM

Do I need a Lawyer??

Yes...and an accountant. Disclaimer IANAL.

OK, maybe not, but possibly. If you are making a profit, then who knows if your tax regime will come after you, even if you do not touch fiat.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:01:16 PM

My guess would be to treat the bitcoins as $ when you receive/send them.  Keep a record of what goes in/out.

To stay legit you might have to claim capital gains if they go up in value, but if they go down you'd get the losses as well.

Check with a CPA, this is just my guess.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:09:00 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2013, 07:22:38 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Well a lawyer and/or accountant is always good for ANY business venture.

Your post is unclear but if your are worried about MSB (money service businesses) regulation the good news is FinCEN guidance is that "users" of a virtual currency  (i.e. people who buy or sell goods or services for BTC) are not regulated entities.

A user who obtains convertible virtual currency and uses it to purchase real or virtual goods or services is not an MSB under FinCEN's regulations.8 Such activity, in and of itself, does not fit within the definition of "money transmission services" and therefore is not subject to FinCEN's registration, reporting, and recordkeeping regulations for MSBs.9

http://fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html

If you intend to engage in activity such as:
buy BTC for USD (or other real currencies)
sell BTC for USD
run an exchange to facilitate the trading of currency between third parties
make payments on the behalf of clients

then you likely are a financial institution and should consult a lawyer.

If you are running a mining (coin generation) enterprise the situation is even more opaque as FinCEN guidance on this area is about a clear as crude oil. The bad news is very few lawyers (and regulators) have any real knowledge of Bitcoin which makes thing "fun". Cutting edge doesn't just apply to technology.  Bitcoin is cutting edge in the regulatory, political, and legal realms as well.  Being an early adopter (business enterprise not mere user) isn't always easy.

TL/DR version:
If you are buying or selling goods/services with Bitcoin you are considered a "user" of the currency, are not a financial institution, and don't need any specific licensing.  As for accounting you can either have your accountant treat BTC as a "foreign" currency (any competent CPA should be able to handle it) or use a service provider like BitPay so that your pricing and payments are always in USD (or some other "real" currency).
JoeMattie

Activity: 220

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:52:10 PM

Thanks for clearing that up

Bitrated user: AKQuaternion.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:14:31 AM

As a general rule, if your "business" is of a type that requires quotation marks to refer to it, then yes, you need a lawyer.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:50:19 AM

Whatever you do, you are setting a legal precedent.  No lawyer can currently provide a sound advice, as there is not much out there to base the advice on. BTC businesses should pool resources to prepare for legal fights.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
danystatic (OP)

Activity: 235

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 09:51:34 AM

Awesome, never thought I will be answered:

I am not touching FIAT , nor exchanging so maybe its up for grabs at this point.

I am selling a very cheap service with Bitcoin maybe I don't need any specific licensing. 
As for accounting you can either have your accountant treat BTC as a "foreign" currency, do I have to do it for the BTC or only for the converted amount?   guess I will look for msantori   Thanks!  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: