Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:18:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1x 1250W PSU or jump 2x600w ones. Which is better solution?  (Read 1699 times)
mxc0bbn (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

Welcome to Miami!

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:09:39 PM

Obviously one is less space to use and less complication of having to jump 2, but I mean overall including the price of a 1200+ PSU versus just buying 2 600w ones.

shilex

Activity: 93

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:35:40 PM

i prefer one power supply per rig, the problem when you take 2 ist hat you have a extra thing that can break down, if you want i can get you nice cm 1500 watt at a very nice price
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 05:52:39 PM

If you are in bitcoin mining (or alt coins) for profit, 2 smaller PSUs are always better when considering ROI as they will almost always be cheaper than 1 larger PSU.

If you are in mining to geek out on hardware or "just for fun" then a single power supply that is more expensive is fine.

I've even designed specific open air cases to hold 2 PSUs.

Tornate

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 06:41:34 PM

1 x 1250 is confidence
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 11:05:56 PM

I prefer 1. Reduces the risk of current leak from slightly higher voltage to lower voltage line (say 12.05v to 11.8v). Rosewill Lightning 1300W and Seasonic x1250 or xfx pro series 1250w (They are identical internally) are my power supplies of choice.

navigator

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:05:55 AM

1 is the best solution. 2 is the cheapest.

Sometimes you can get a 400w Corsair for under $20 after rebates. 5 of those and you got 2000+ watts for $100.
mxc0bbn (OP)

Activity: 79

Welcome to Miami!

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 12:25:52 AM

Well, I'm not doing it to get rich off it, but certainly would like to make some profit so there is an element of ROI in my question...

I currently have a Seasonic 1250 Gold and a Seasonic 1000W platinum, but I also have a Corsair 850 and a 450 which I could jump for another rig so they don't go to waste.  Maybe experimentation is the best way to decide.

I'm not completely decided so if anyone else has any feedback it is most welcome.

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. nice rig by the way.

kimihiro

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 01:05:16 AM

I have similar prob
can someone show me how to "join" 2 or more psu?
or give me the link
TIA
darksoft

Activity: 275

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 02:21:59 AM

I have similar prob
or give me the link
TIA

http://www.add2psu.com/

I'm using one now, works like a champ.
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 04:41:46 AM

I have similar prob
or give me the link
TIA

I usually steer people away from DUal PSUs just because of how many problems I've seen with people getting them properly working, but that looks pretty sweet actually. Simple, no fuss, no muss, and seems like it should work just fine. I may recommend that (and maybe even try it myself some day Cheesy)
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:18:49 AM

If you have to ask, go with 1. If you're fully capable of troubleshooting your own problems, get 2.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
jomay

Activity: 167

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:34:56 AM

If you like messing around with hardware and know how to connect them or how to solder you could simply get a server power supply. You can get used 1kW - 2kW PSUs on ebay for <50$. There are Dell server PSU with a 80 Plus Titanium certification (!) running at 96% efficiency. I doubt you'd get them on ebay, though, as they are pretty new.

BTC 1NoV8NFSB7eiuK2aABFtBTdUdXhbEdG7Ss
LTC LaFyWSfzKY7CKwwmbxhyf8S2iJvfT7JFtL YAC YKKwR5B64Z9ww971J42vEGVPaema623Tz6
CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 08:01:11 PM

I have similar prob
or give me the link
TIA

I'll eventually be using dual PS's but don't know if I should go with the add2psu version or this one:

The one pictured above does not require a molex connection and looks cleaner but have a feeling the add2psu version may be better engineered? It has what looks like a relay that must do something?

darksoft

Activity: 275

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 02:06:53 AM

I have similar prob
or give me the link
TIA

I'll eventually be using dual PS's but don't know if I should go with the add2psu version or this one:

The one pictured above does not require a molex connection and looks cleaner but have a feeling the add2psu version may be better engineered? It has what looks like a relay that must do something?

It kicks the second psu on automatically when powering on the first one. That split plug looked a bit hinky to me which is why I went with the add2psu. You can use multiple add2psu's if needed.
rovchris

Activity: 238

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:43:57 AM

Running 2 PSU's will burn more electricity than running one large one - I have tested this.

Only buy a digital PSU if you want any kind of efficiency near full load.

A cheap PSU near full load will consume around 30% of the input power!

It's horses for courses really - if you are paying for electric then really you want it as efficient as possible

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                       Get Your FREE Coins NOW!     
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
Benny1985

Activity: 391

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:17:03 PM

Running 2 PSU's will burn more electricity than running one large one - I have tested this.

It's horses for courses really - if you are paying for electric then really you want it as efficient as possible

Pretty sure the issue with that is if you're buying crappy, inefficient PSUs vs. superior PSUs... That can happen regardless of price.

Either way, you want something above bronze for a rig.

If you want one of the dual-PSU adapters (not the Add2PSU's), my store stocks them cheaper than anyone else, AFAIK: http://buyahash.com
rovchris

Activity: 238

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:28:00 PM

Pretty sure the issue with that is if you're buying crappy, inefficient PSUs vs. superior PSUs... That can happen regardless of price.

Either way, you want something above bronze for a rig.

If you want one of the dual-PSU adapters (not the Add2PSU's), my store stocks them cheaper than anyone else, AFAIK: http://buyahash.com

I did say a cheap PSU - I am using corsair AX1200's which are 96% efficient at full load.

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                       Get Your FREE Coins NOW!     
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: