Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 08:22:41 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power supply issues  (Read 288 times)
twicx (OP)

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 10:09:53 PM

Hey all,
I'm trying to run 2 PSUs. I'm trying to use a 24-pin splitter. To explain my setup, take it that PSU 1 is the main PSU that powers the mobo, and PSU 2 is the secondary one.

Attached to the 24-pin cable from PSU 1 is the splitter cable. Its one of those cables where the second 24-pin connection just has 2 wires going to it, for pins 3 and 4 I assume. I have that end connected to the 24-pin connection on PSU 2.

I then turn on the I/O switch on both PSUs, and while the first one powers up no problem, the second doesn't. No fans, nothing.

Any ideas?
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 10:32:56 PM

The 24-pin male end of the splitter cable connects to the motherboard. The 24-pin coming from the primary PSU plugs in to the female 24-pin connector on the splitter cable and the secondary PSU plugs in to the connecctor with two wires on the splitter cable. Then you just toggle the power switch on both PSU to the on position and turn it on with the power switch on the motherboard.

If all the connectorins are correct, make sure the motherboard isn't grounding out with some piece of metal on the bottom.
twicx (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 10:52:43 PM

That's the way I had it. The motherboard powers up and runs fine when its like that, just the second PSU that doesn't.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 10:57:13 PM

Try switching the PSU's around and see if it stays the same. If it is, then it could be the splitter cable is defective or loose.
twicx (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 05:20:05 AM

Hmmmm... Same result. I wonder should I just run a paperclip between between the two pins. Not the safest though...
MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 03:09:18 PM

Hmmmm... Same result. I wonder should I just run a paperclip between between the two pins. Not the safest though...

Post an image of your configuration to tackle the problem more clearly. Moreover, just give an order for add2psu as if above doesn't work, this will surely do. It'll cost you around 1.5-2 USD an adapter.
bostonvex

Activity: 71

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 11:07:21 PM

Can you say fire hazard? Sounds like your splitter cable is fooked. Return it and get a new one.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 12:48:45 AM

Can you say fire hazard? Sounds like your splitter cable is fooked. Return it and get a new one.

no worries as you do this for testing purpose and isolations, I also usually do this without any issues.

here's the way how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea1dcJ0QyAE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: