Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 12:33:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What attracts Monero transaction speed and could a fork help?  (Read 240 times)
overfloood (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 10:10:01 PM

Hello,

i'm very new to the altcoin thematic technically. I was reading a lot about transaction speeds and my bitcoin transactions mostly take dozen of minutes or hours. This is frustrating.

Alternatively I saw ethereum gets sent < 1 Min. and it could be done from 14 seconds at lowest.
I've read Monero can do it in 2 Minutes and before it was 1 Minute, because of "block-size change".
Also I've seen in an article Ripple has speed of 3-5 seconds. Thats ridicoulos in comparison.

What I did not understand is this "block-size", why they increased it and why it takes now longer to make a transaction.

Couldn't be there an altcoin that has a very low block-size, so that the transactions are going much faster?

Regards
overflood
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 01:42:58 AM

Hello,

i'm very new to the altcoin thematic technically. I was reading a lot about transaction speeds and my bitcoin transactions mostly take dozen of minutes or hours. This is frustrating.

Alternatively I saw ethereum gets sent < 1 Min. and it could be done from 14 seconds at lowest.
I've read Monero can do it in 2 Minutes and before it was 1 Minute, because of "block-size change".
Also I've seen in an article Ripple has speed of 3-5 seconds. Thats ridicoulos in comparison.

What I did not understand is this "block-size", why they increased it and why it takes now longer to make a transaction.

Couldn't be there an altcoin that has a very low block-size, so that the transactions are going much faster?

Regards
overflood

Monero block is adaptable and adjust to as much there is needed transactions.  Block time did not went from 1 to 2 minutes because of block size.

Confirmation times are needed in decentralized currencies so miners have time to confirm that all transactions are valid. Or you could easily double spend. some currencies, added some centralized things to it and can have transaction times much faster.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4936

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:49:08 AM

Hello,

Regards
overflood

Monero block is adaptable and adjust to as much there is needed transactions.  Block time did not went from 1 to 2 minutes because of block size.

Confirmation times are needed in decentralized currencies so miners have time to confirm that all transactions are valid. Or you could easily double spend. some currencies, added some centralized things to it and can have transaction times much faster.

You need to explain to them why centralization is a bad thing because all these n00bs don't do their homework and really have no clue and alot of them that do don't care as long as they can make a quick buck. Don't even bother talking about mutability or fungibility as their eyes just glaze over. Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 07:25:52 PM

Hello,

Regards
overflood

You need to explain to them why centralization is a bad thing because all these n00bs don't do their homework and really have no clue and alot of them that do don't care as long as they can make a quick buck. Don't even bother talking about mutability or fungibility as their eyes just glaze over. Smiley

Yes the main beauty of Bitcoin that Satoshi gave us is first that is secure and then that is decentralized.  And then long after this come everything else.  Problem is that many "TOP" coins already fail at decentralization.
overfloood (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 03:18:40 PM

I'm also very interested in the technical part.

I've read now somewhat about these ring-signatures, that makes monero so anonymous.

Wouldn't it be possible to create a protocol based on monero that delivers ability to create tokens, just with the same anonymity?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: