Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:37:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do when your MEW wallet is compromised?  (Read 271 times)
babsjoe (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 11:00:59 PM

I have two questions!
1. If you move all your token from compromised wallet to new wallet, is your token safe in the new wallet?
2. If one of your token is stolen out of many token, Does it mean your account is hacked and the rest of your different stored token could be stolen anytime?
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
styca

Activity: 1078
Merit: 354

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 11:08:33 PM

I have two questions!
1. If you move all your token from compromised wallet to new wallet, is your token safe in the new wallet?
2. If one of your token is stolen out of many token, Does it mean your account is hacked and the rest of your different stored token could be stolen anytime?

I'll defer to those with more knowledge, but from my limited understanding:
1. Depends how the wallet was compromised. If the new wallet is safe, then there should be no problem. If the old wallet was compromised by a method that could also compromise the new wallet (keylogger etc) then no, it's not safe in the new one until you remove the source of the problem. If you don't know the source of the problem, then move it to an exchange as a temporary measure.
2. If the wallet is compromised then they can take anything in it, regardless of what coin it is. Best bet is to move everything out of a compromised wallet before it disappears.
illinest

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 11:53:08 PM

I have two questions!

1) Your token is safe from the original compromise. But you need to ask yourself: How were your compromised? If you have a keylogger on your system, you may not be safe at all. When you go to copy/paste your private key back into MEW, your private key may be transmitted to the hacker. He can then drain your tokens from your wallet, which is more likely to happen now that etherscan.io is adding more and more tokens to the explorer.

2) If anything is being stolen from your account, it means your private key is compromised. So, yes, if the attacker knows about any other tokens, they can be stolen at any time.

You should consider a cold storage setup where your keys are not exposed to the internet. You can install a wallet like Geth or Parity to generate a public key on an offline machine. You can then send tokens to that public address and they should be safe from such things. Always make a backup (keystore, etc) of your offline key, too. You can throw it on a USB flash drive and/or a DVD-R (both to be safe) and keep those tucked away somewhere safe in case the hard drive on your offline machine gives out.
bobq

Activity: 1148
Merit: 307

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 12:15:11 AM

If your wallet is compromised you'd better move all your tokens to a new wallet, but having care to use another device for the case that you have a keylogger or other virus in your primary device.

babsjoe (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 06:01:19 AM

I have two questions!

I'll defer to those with more knowledge, but from my limited understanding:
1. Depends how the wallet was compromised. If the new wallet is safe, then there should be no problem. If the old wallet was compromised by a method that could also compromise the new wallet (keylogger etc) then no, it's not safe in the new one until you remove the source of the problem. If you don't know the source of the problem, then move it to an exchange as a temporary measure.
2. If the wallet is compromised then they can take anything in it, regardless of what coin it is. Best bet is to move everything out of a compromised wallet before it disappears.

Thank you for your answer. The  question of keylogger etc does not apply in this case because I use virtual keyboard. There is a lots of complain similar to what I experienced from the token in question.(Car taxi). All my other token are intact it was only Car taxi token that was taken. Do you think the theif has my private key or was only able to stole back his token(Car taxi) by manipulating his contract!
It seems somebody that stole the token is someone that sent it, I stand to be corrected! I sent the rest of my token to exchange as temporary measure.
hieu81

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 06:30:49 AM

I have two questions!
Everything is safe when you secure a private key, If you can not hold then you will lose both ETH and Token!
For storage, use a cold wallet or a hard wallet
AiloveYouks21

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 06:35:10 AM

I have two questions!
i use imtoken.
1. it would be safe if nobody knows your password and private wallet.
2. not if you have moved to another wallet.
Manuj

Activity: 269
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 06:38:34 AM

I have two questions!

For the first question, the answer is that it becomes safe for your tokens if you move them all from a compromised wallet to another wallet, which should be a new one. But take note that the hacking might have already entered your personal computer unit and that it can easily access whatever data you are saving there. So please save your private keys somewhere else. For the second question, I would recommend that you abandon that wallet once and for all and create a new one, urgently! Otherwise, your other tokens might be stolen as well.  
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: